Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Worst Registrar on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shame about uk2.net with there domains good job i dont have any with them but i have dedicated server and there support is second to none and the cheapest by a mile.

DomainDiscover

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
-->DomainDiscover.com

Hate to bash, but would like to share my experiences

1) 24/7 customer service that doesn't know the difference between a domain from chicken noodle soup (reading out of a manual). Only contact during the day when the management is there.

2) Trying to transfer a domain???

a) Send government photo ID in
b) pay $25, 10 transfers pay $250
c) Get the buyers PASSWORD and send it to them. After you get his PASSWORD and transfer him the name he can just change his password. [he must be thrilled that you have to get his password to what could be $1000's of dollars of intellectual property.

As a reseller I've transferred hundreds of names wth many registrars, always 30 seconds, very smooth. Couldn't imagine $25 per transfers but anyway 2 hours tonight and still can't transfer until the buyer sends them the password in the morning. Makes the seller look really competant.

Avoid at all cost!!!

Thank you for posting your thoughts CommercialDomains - I just wish you would have relayed all this to our customer service department so we could have gotten things done a little faster for you.

Upon seeing your post here I have started the programmers working on removing the need for both passwords to move a domain from one account to another. We should have that feature updated soon - then you should be able to push domains from your account to any other DomainDiscover.com account only having to know your own password. I realize how inconvenient that was to have to plug both passwords in, but I believe our original mindset was security, and with that mindset we thought it was much more secure to have two passwords than one.

But you are correct in this instance, and I wish you would have asked to speak with a manager about this. We would have been happy to get this updated through that channel rather than on this forum, but I am glad that at least we are aware of this now and able to get it resolved.

As for the fee - I believe your post is a little misleading, so I'll just clarify for everyone here: The $25.00 fee is for a Change of Legal Ownership - not a domain transfer from one registrar to another. Also, the forms and ID are for the Change of Legal Ownership, again not for a domain transfer from one registrar to another. When you change the ownership of the domain, you have to fill out forms and get us a photocopy of an ID or an official request on company letterhead - as the legal owner on a domain is of high importance and could carry some serious ramifications if not taken seriously. The fee to change the Legal Ownership is for the processing of the forms (you will find this at many other registrars as well - at least from my experience). In addition, that fee is per form, not per domain. You can have one hundred domains on one form, with only one fee of $25.00.

So to transfer a domain from us to another company - it is as simple as unlocking the domain, receiving your auth-code, and giving it to the other registrar. And you don't even have to contact us, the code is in your control panel for you. In fact, as one of your members here can attest, it is much easier than this thread makes it sound to try to transfer your domains (a member here saw this thread, and came to me to transfer, I easily had him setup and ready to go with no hassle in less than 5 mins - and strangely, he was curious as to why there was no fee or paperwork involved - this thread had mislead him I later found).

I am sorry if you feel you had a poor experience with us, as we strive to go above and beyond to make things easy for our customers. If fact, we strongly feel that we provide customers with the best customer experience of any registrar. We would encourage all of you to reconsider what was said about DomainDiscover.com and feel free to contact us with any concerns.

Dan
DomainDiscover.com's Product Manager

movingconcierge

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So you charge $25 for an internal push to another member then. It is my experience that service is free and easy at other major registrars.

I can't think of anytime I had to do any kind of forms, except at 1and1.com. I wouldn't dare compare you to them without proper cause. :)

The end run around the $25 charge seems to be to leave your company via transfer, then change ownership, which seems to be a flaw in your business plan. Maybe you should consider revising the charge and documents for a push. It might help you retain more customers. Just a thought.

As for the fee - I believe your post is a little misleading, so I'll just clarify for everyone here: The $25.00 fee is for a Change of Legal Ownership - not a domain transfer from one registrar to another. Also, the forms and ID are for the Change of Legal Ownership, again not for a domain transfer from one registrar to another. When you change the ownership of the domain, you have to fill out forms and get us a photocopy of an ID or an official request on company letterhead - as the legal owner on a domain is of high importance and could carry some serious ramifications if not taken seriously. The fee to change the Legal Ownership is for the processing of the forms (you will find this at many other registrars as well - at least from my experience). In addition, that fee is per form, not per domain. You can have one hundred domains on one form, with only one fee of $25.00.

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So you charge $25 for an internal push to another member then. It is my experience that service is free and easy at other major registrars.

I can't think of anytime I had to do any kind of forms, except at 1and1.com. I wouldn't dare compare you to them without proper cause. :)

The end run around the $25 charge seems to be to leave your company via transfer, then change ownership, which seems to be a flaw in your business plan. Maybe you should consider revising the charge and documents for a push. It might help you retain more customers. Just a thought.

Does that mean I might get some potential refunds??? Would come to about $200...ouch!!! I guess this is where you "makes your monies" and probably unlikely to change your business model....:eek::eek::eek:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Quite outrageous to charge $25 to change ownership info on your own domain, If you have to pay anything at all for this simple function, then your at the wrong registrar... I don't know of any other registrars that do this.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually update on uk2.net
If anyone has any problems or transferring out problems with these guys, they have got a new guy in, Anton.
He's a top rep and has helped me out a lot. Think they're making big steps to improve.
Pm me if you need and will give his email, he'll sort you out hopefully.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Register.com, you must call them to get the auth. code, Trying to get that code is like trying to cancel your account at AOL, not taking "no" for an answer.

Yeah, its RIDICULOUS!!!
Some registrars take us for morons! :smilewinkgrin:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Won a name at Pool. Was given some registrar named AwPool (awpool.com)

You email them to give you a password

They give the password in 3 days

The password doesn't work

You email them again

They say sorry, and give you the same password, again.

You call them up. No one picks up the phone. You email them once more

They say sorry once more and give you a new password

Half an hour later they email you again, saying that the old password was for someone else's account. "here is your new password", they finally say.

All's well that ends well

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Won a name at Pool. Was given some registrar named AwPool (awpool.com)

You email them to give you a password

They give the password in 3 days

The password doesn't work

You email them again

They say sorry, and give you the same password, again.

You call them up. No one picks up the phone. You email them once more

They say sorry once more and give you a new password

Half an hour later they email you again, saying that the old password was for someone else's account. "here is your new password", they finally say.

All's well that ends well

Dude! Don't even get me started on Pool.com! :D
They use like the world's most rinky dink registars possible!!! :lol:

Pool.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, nearly 90% of the registrars we use are under our direct control. The kind of problems you have identified with one of our partmers we don't directly control should be alerted to our C/S staff so I can deal with them personally. Please don't hesitate to email me with specific situations. We have been doing a lot to try and eliminate these kinds of problems so your feedback is not only welcome but encouraged. [email protected] (CEO)

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, nearly 90% of the registrars we use are under our direct control. The kind of problems you have identified with one of our partmers we don't directly control should be alerted to our C/S staff so I can deal with them personally. Please don't hesitate to email me with specific situations. We have been doing a lot to try and eliminate these kinds of problems so your feedback is not only welcome but encouraged. [email protected] (CEO)

Richard, your reply here speaks very well regarding the positive changes I've noticed LATELY for your company...keep up the good work.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not knocking Enom, as good as this Registrar is, the Reseller program is a friggin joke.

Irresponsible ETP's issuing accounts they refuse to manage, jacking up the pricing when they want and how much they want, devaluing that account you spent $250 for. Send an email to your reseller and the likelihood of it being answered is as good as winning the lotto. Contact Enom about your problem and all you get is; Please contact your reseller, bla bla bla. So the next time you think of spending $180 or $250 for that $7.45 account, know what your getting yourself into.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not knocking Enom, as good as this Registrar is, the Reseller program is a friggin joke.

Irresponsible ETP's issuing accounts they refuse to manage, jacking up the pricing when they want and how much they want, devaluing that account you spent $250 for. Send an email to your reseller and the likelihood of it being answered is as good as winning the lotto. Contact Enom about your problem and all you get is; Please contact your reseller, bla bla bla. So the next time you think of spending $180 or $250 for that $7.45 account, know what your getting yourself into.

Hehe...ONCE AGAIN, I have to agree with you Eva! :yes:
I have a Sub-Reseller account at Enom and its a joke!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of bad registrars - good ol' registerfly is sending domain renewal notices for domains that I transfered out of there six months ago and some - get this - for domains I let expire and are currently available to register!

As for the OP - $25 for a push is just stupid - there is no justification for that beyond being an obvious cash-grab. Might work for non-domainers but that **** doesn't fly around here.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of bad registrars - good ol' registerfly is sending domain renewal notices for domains that I transfered out of there six months ago and some - get this - for domains I let expire and are currently available to register!

As for the OP - $25 for a push is just stupid - there is no justification for that beyond being an obvious cash-grab. Might work for non-domainers but that **** doesn't fly around here.

There are probably just as many BAD REGISTRARS as BAD DOMAINERS!!! :smilewinkgrin:

Siteoffers.com

$1,000,000 Domain Owner!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Register.com - I purchased a name from a guy in 98 and kept it with register.com because I was too lazy to transfer. The domain is very popular and earns me great money by selling data to the mlm industry.

Anyway I get an email to renew the name so I renew it for 2 years and I get an email tat says success! renewal complete for 2 years. One month later I go to my domain and the site is parked somewhere. Did a whois and the name is in someone elses name.

I call the guy and he said he bought it on the aftermarket for $2500.00 - The site was realated to register.com (like register.com indirectly owns them).

Register.com tells me my card did not go thru, I show them the charge and they say to bad the new owner would have to release it back to them ..

The new owner being a domainer of sorts felt bad and demanded a refund and transfered the domain back to me.

So I think register.com in my opinion did this on purpose and tried to steal my name in a shady way to make extra money.

So I hate them. Plus they charge too much for reging a name... They should sell out.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to "Domain Registrars" from "Suggestions and Feedback".
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom