Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.WS names... Maybe worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One positive note for .ws domains.... They do beat new.net "domains" in that they are ICANN sanctioned and work anywhere....

At least I think they do.... Do they even have internet service in Western Samoa?

;)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent grab Uncle with "www.Sheds.ws". I'll be sure to make that a favorite when you have it up

btw: Snaps.ws isn't taken either....;) Good luck to whomever gets that one for $9.95 Don't require any DNF$$ either. Just let me know ya got it.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

Single word domains are generally valuable not as keywords, but as type-ins or short memorable email addresses and website names.

Single word domains by themselves don't help you in Search Engine ranking...but it doesn't hurt. Once you've built up your ranking, then visitors will make the choice to come back. If you have a generic name, recall is MUCH easier, even if it's a .ws.

I found a very good disucssion about this very topic which might enlighten everyone a little further. It seems at the end of the discussion everyone agreed that you need good links/content, but having a decent generic name does help somewhat in SE ranking.

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/3/lev3/13/pid/828/qid/489748

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This discussion appears to be from experts, which support a "strong" generic domain theory and how it might effect SE ranking (of course content/links are important too). The discussion is about importance of "hypenated" names and how they effect ranking. They do say

http://articulate-domains.com/articulate-domain-names-search-engines.htm

>>>>>>>A website's commercial success depends strongly on how it performs in the search engines, and its search engine placement is dependent upon a range of optimization techniques.

As website optimization experts know, some of the largest search engines look for keywords in the first item viewed - the domain name, or url. The two super-engines - Inktomi and Google, which between them supply results to Yahoo, AOL, HotBot, Lycos, Netscape, iWon, Looksmart, MSN & GoTo, Goo, About.com, use this technique.

Like the human eye, the search engine can only read what it can properly see. If it can see key search terms in the domain, then this site's relevancy rating is enhanced. (See also forums.internet.com 'Can search engines parse long names ..')

The oneworddomain in contrast, carries no particular advantage if it cannot be easily read, and indeed is disadvantageous when illegible or ambiguous. This URL check is especially advantageous to generic names, as they embed universal keywords and search terms. This is why many hyphenated url's may be seen currently occupying top positions in major engines like Google, who especially likes the hyphen.

- Additionally, Google and others will boost rankings if inbound links to the site contain readable, relevant keywords - thus investing the hyphenated domain with even further search engine edge. The hyphenated domain is the astute webmaster's secret tool for high-powered search engine performance. <<<<<<

Not too sure I'll be getting a hypenated name to rank higher in SE's, especially when people have to recall where the "hypens" are supposed to go after they've left your site, but this information tends to support having decent "generic" names.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree hyphenated names are better for search engines than non-hyphenated.....IF you also own the non-hyphenated version. If you don't, then you will send lots of traffic to your competition. Since most hyphenated names aren't valued by resellers, you can usually buy the non-hyphenated then register the hyphenated version to use for search engine submission, or at least buy it real cheap.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't subdomains also work for search engines, like some.neat.keywords.example.com?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
Wouldn't subdomains also work for search engines, like some.neat.keywords.example.com?

Yes, but the chances of having the shorter name is more unlikely. If your choice is aluminumwindows.com, aluminum-windows.com, or aluminum.windows.com, the subdomain would be difficult since most one word names are already owned, in this example by microsoft.

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
Excellent grab Uncle with "www.Sheds.ws". I'll be sure to make that a favorite when you have it up

thanks just using it as a foward to readersheds.co.uk

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Oh, and if you are thinking that I believe .WS is the next coming, then you missed the point of this post."

Interesting thread you started, izopod.
It made me pull the trigger on my first .ws domains this weekend, cigs.ws & rappers.ws.

Both worth the $9.95 reg fee.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by boychik

Interesting thread you started, izopod.
It made me pull the trigger on my first .ws domains this weekend, cigs.ws & rappers.ws.

Both worth the $9.95 reg fee.

Not too bad boychik. Definitely worth your trouble. The best thing to do is to develop IMHO. Especially the cigs' domain. :cool:

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree.

(and now you can add downloading.ws, my third .ws registration)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains

Yes, but the chances of having the shorter name is more unlikely. If your choice is aluminumwindows.com, aluminum-windows.com, or aluminum.windows.com, the subdomain would be difficult since most one word names are already owned, in this example by microsoft.

However, aluminum.windows.asdfkljasjfaslfsaf.com would also work, if the aim is just to get the keywords into the name somehow... you can use them as subdomains of anything you happen to own.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own Soul.ws and Anime.ws amongst other .ws names.

Not that it's of high importance to this discussion - main purpose of this posting is to show off really. :D

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
can you believe the nerve of these jackasses?:

http://www.nic.ws/

posing in front of the ferraris they bought with money they raised for a failed registry.

shining examples of what was wrong with the first wave of internet companies.

sad.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android

posing in front of the ferraris they bought with money they raised for a failed registry.

sad.
Register WeSuck.ws and point it there :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android

sad.

Is it a crime to make obscene money off others if it is a honest business? It appears some decent companies who couldn't get a dot com name were satisfied with their .ws purchase. I'm very happy with my www.retirement.ws URL. Will make a nice profit. The www.Politics.ws name I got last week isn't bad either.

Also not sure what you you mean about when you refer to a "failed registry"... Looks like they are doing o.k

http://website.ws/article.dhtml?article=inc500

LeDomain

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Careers.ws
Supplier.ws
Materials.ws
WebPage.ws
Deal.ws
Click.ws
Merchants.ws

Here are some of the .WS, I got. I agree its worth the investment. Kind of like "Lake Front Property" in a remote town. Sort of that way anyway...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very nice keywords! I like "Careers", "Deal" and "Merchants" the best. All have very good OVT/Google #'s.

Are you going to develop??

Originally posted by LeDomain
Careers.ws
Supplier.ws
Materials.ws
WebPage.ws
Deal.ws
Click.ws
Merchants.ws

Here are some of the .WS, I got. I agree its worth the investment. Kind of like "Lake Front Property" in a remote town. Sort of that way anyway...

LeDomain

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Plan on developing one or two at the max and sell the rest. Right now does not seem the time for selling .ws. I'll hold on to it for a few years if needed.

Izopod, thanks for your feedback on the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom