Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

XenForo vs SMF??

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
The 2 main leaders are Xenforo (used here) and Invision Community, and both are paid versions.

The top free ones are:
1) Simple Machines Forum // sample forum (maintaining this one for Maria ecosystem): https://maria.zone/
2) Flarum // sample (a hobby forum I created for $zenzo after their website was down for 1+ years): https://www.zenzoforum.com/

Xenforo kicks lama ass :)

Deep Joshi

Level 2
Reaction score
The 2 main leaders are Xenforo (used here) and Invision Community, and both are paid versions.

The top free ones are:
1) Simple Machines Forum // sample forum (maintaining this one for Maria ecosystem): https://maria.zone/
2) Flarum // sample (a hobby forum I created for $zenzo after their website was down for 1+ years): https://www.zenzoforum.com/

Xenforo kicks lama ass :)
I think all mods are paid in the Xenforo forum script.

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score

Not really.. it costs money to write software - it is work. What is wrong if a programmer wishes to get paid for his code? :)

if money is an issue - go with simplemachines - will do the job fine :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of free mods for Xenforo that can help a community.

Badges are a good example of this. You can create "collector" badges, automatically or manually awarded, that go with the theme of your community, e.g., award a Gamer badge/icon to someone with an external gaming profile with 1000+ wins in a certain game you focus on.

I'd only look at paid mods when the community is big enough to warrant that—for example, creating a blog. You can use Article threads in a "Blog" forum. Then, if you want a standalone blog, you can get Article Management System ("AMS") from Bob on Xenforo and convert the Blog Article threads to Blog posts, detaching them from the forum, where the look and feel would be closer to WordPress.

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
@DNF Admin morning buddy, can you please look into this? .. or, are we already using Badges by Ozz?

tx. >>
Badges are a good example of this. You can create "collector" badges, automatically or manually awarded, that go with the theme of your community, e.g., award a Gamer badge/icon to someone with an external gaming profile with 1000+ wins in a certain game you focus on.

--

thank you @amplify :)

The Raven

Level 1
Reaction score
Which forum script is best and why please help me :(
That depends on what you are looking for. XenForo is not cheap (at least for me) and if you are just getting started I don't know how wise that would be. Investing money in a startup project that might fail. If you already have a solid fanbase, so to say, then you can go with XenForo because it really has a lot of features.

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
That depends on what you are looking for. XenForo is not cheap (at least for me) and if you are just getting started I don't know how wise that would be. Investing money in a startup project that might fail. If you already have a solid fanbase, so to say, then you can go with XenForo because it really has a lot of features.

Yes, I do agree. Still, if you are investing your time in starting a community, you want to have the best that is out there.. the further you go, the more you start valuing professional solutions, even if these cost much more than free ones.

in the end of the day, it is all about = what you get :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to start a community and are serious about running it, we might be able to work something out.

I have a few idle licenses lying around...

Send a PM and let's discuss.

The Raven

Level 1
Reaction score
If you're looking to start a community and are serious about running it, we might be able to work something out.

I have a few idle licenses lying around...

Send a PM and let's discuss.
Are we talking here about working together in terms of me being co-admin considering you are paying for forum software or?

neonm

Hosting Guru
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
invisioncommunity.com . it is a paid software.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom