Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Year's First 7-Figure Sale Tops New Weekly Domain Sales Report at DNJournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron: I have always appreciated your reporting of domain sales which has helped bring this industry forward in addition to forums such as this one. Please continue to report domain sales via the journal and yes I am sure you will make some errors from time to time....reminds me of an old Star Trek episode...error, error, must sterilize, must sterilize..lol
I agree 100% that this initial communication from acquistion should have been handled via pm or email.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
+1 in supporting Ron for his work. Sure, there will be errors in the data, but in the years I have been reading DNJ faithfully, it has reflected properly on the market as a whole; this is what counts, no?

It was observant of acquisition to spot the error, but the messenger killed his message by using the delivery method he did ;)

All IMHO, of course,

Rob

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has been in the industry for many years will remember that there was "no factual" data until DNJ.

That's just not true. The auction/sales sites posted their sales results. Dnjournal.com merely collects sales data and categorizes accordingly. Simultaneously, dnjournal glorifies some of the swarmy characters in the industry, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps not.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron, thanks for not only the URLs and prices but also the cute verbs used to describe each purchase.

Acquisition, open mouth, insert foot.
Why don't you compile your own lists, and freely publish the results?
what do you think your % of mistakes would be?

And have you ever thought that maybe those new owners lied? Maybe the domains were sold that cheap and the new owners don't want to talk to someone looking over sales lists and calling them?

Last edited:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I keep a written list of oddities that I've been privileged enough to witness during my life time.

[#1,021] "A typographical error inducing a fit of rage, followed by a severe cerebral hemorrhage". Check! :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's just not true. The auction/sales sites posted their sales results. Dnjournal.com merely collects sales data and categorizes accordingly. Simultaneously, dnjournal glorifies some of the swarmy characters in the industry, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps not.

1) You are dead wrong about that. Our column began six years ago when Sedo's Matt Bentley approached me with the idea and offered to share their data for the column. The AfternicDLS/BuyDomains never publicly reported sales to ANYONE, let alone post them on their site, until their Senior VP/GM Peter Lamson started providing us with their data a couple of years ago. NameJet does not post their sales reports even to this day, etc, etc. etc. If you are going to make a blanket statement like this it would REALLY be nice if you would comment on something you actually had a clue about instead of making up things as you go along.

2) Regarding "swarmy" characters, I have no idea what you are talking about since there is no such word as swarmy. However assuming that "swarmy" is something bad in your mind, I'm curious to know who you think you are to judge who is "swarmy" and who is not "swarmy"? What is it about you that makes you superior to other people in the industry? Since you are so quick to criticize others, I assume you have no faults of your own, correct?

3) Is there a full moon out this week or something? :)

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been an editor for national & international publications, with multiple pairs of well-trained & paid eyes looking over each issue ... but typos & errors invariably crept in. As a one-man shop running a great public service, Ron has an impressively high accuracy rate. He deserves a lot more credit & a lot less criticism from ill-mannered & uneducated posters.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That is not true.

Initially, the only way you would know what a domain went for with the drop catcher auctions (Pool, snapnames, Dotster, Club Drop) was if you were in the bidding. The drop catchers did not want the data to be published.

Or, someone would post the data on the forums.

Years ago, there were not a lot of bidders compared to today. It seemed like a lot at the time.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been an editor for national & international publications, with multiple pairs of well-trained & paid eyes looking over each issue ... but typos & errors invariably crept in. As a one-man shop running a great public service, Ron has an impressively high accuracy rate. He deserves a lot more credit & a lot less criticism from ill-mannered & uneducated posters.

-----Agree. It's like trying to kill superman without kryptonite--it ain't going to happen....lol

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only swarmy character I've seen mentioned at dnjournal is that Richard Meyer guy... but everyone usually just lets him slide... what with his emotional difficulties and stuff. :D (kidding, kidding...)

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't count the number of times I've punctuated a long explanation into what I do for living, with "visit DNJournal.com if you have time".

"So, what you do you for a living?" "I'm a domainer"... blank stare... an hour long summary into the world of domaining... another blank stare + a dash of skepticism... "check out DNJournal.com"... two weeks later... "I had no idea internet real estate was so valuable"...

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't count the number of times I've punctuated a long explanation into what I do for living, with "visit DNJournal.com if you have time".

"So, what you do you for a living?" "I'm a domainer"... blank stare... an hour long summary into the world of domaining... another blank stare + a dash of skepticism... "check out DNJournal.com"... two weeks later... "I had no idea internet real estate was so valuable"...

Agree Ron make a wonderful work.
Thanks Ron.

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1) You are dead wrong about that.

No, I'm not. Great Domains posted results. Sedo wasn't even around then, neither was dnjournal.com.

2) Regarding "swarmy" characters, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I never said you did.

I'm curious to know who you think you are to judge who is "swarmy" and who is not "swarmy"?

If I listed them here, I'd be banned. How's that for "swarmy?" Also, how's this for swarmy: Domainer submits domain name to auction at one of the endless domainer conventions. Domainer gets contract from auctioneer for signature. Small print in contract states if domain submitted for auction doesn't sell, auctioneer is entitled to a piece of the action for ten years, no matter who buys the domain and no matter who finds the buyer. Domainer contacts auctioneer and says, "What? You have the right to a commission for ten years if the name doesn't sell at auction, no matter who finds a buyer?" Auctioneer says, "Oops, that should actually read TWO years, not TEN." I see lots of photos at dnjournal.com of the arsehole who runs that company. That's what I mean by "swarmy."

What is it about you that makes you superior to other people in the industry?

I never said I was. But since you asked, I don't try to f*ck customers with small print easily glossed-over in lengthy contracts. Also, I don't work for a well-known registrar then bid against that registrar's customers at auctions where that registrar is the auctioneer. How's that for "swarmy", Ron.

Keep posting photos of these characters whooping it up at domainer conventions, Ron. It speaks volumes about what lacks at dnjournal.com. But that's okay, you have a huge portfolio and need might need these people to help you sell names.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) You are dead wrong about that.

No, I'm not. Great Domains posted results. Sedo wasn't even around then, neither was dnjournal.com.

2) Regarding "swarmy" characters, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I never said you did.

I'm curious to know who you think you are to judge who is "swarmy" and who is not "swarmy"?

If I listed them here, I'd be banned. How's that for "swarmy?" Also, how's this for swarmy: Domainer submits domain name to auction at one of the endless domainer conventions. Domainer gets contract from auctioneer for signature. Small print in contract states if domain submitted for auction doesn't sell, auctioneer is entitled to a piece of the action for ten years, no matter who buys the domain and no matter who finds the buyer. Domainer contacts auctioneer and says, "What? You have the right to a commission for ten years if the name doesn't sell at auction, no matter who finds a buyer?" Auctioneer says, "Oops, that should actually read TWO years, not TEN." I see lots of photos at dnjournal.com of the arsehole who runs that company. That's what I mean by "swarmy."

What is it about you that makes you superior to other people in the industry?

I never said I was. But since you asked, I don't try to f*ck customers with small print easily glossed-over in lengthy contracts. Also, I don't work for a well-known registrar then bid against that registrar's customers at auctions where that registrar is the auctioneer. How's that for "swarmy", Ron.

Keep posting photos of these characters whooping it up at domainer conventions, Ron. It speaks volumes about what lacks at dnjournal.com. But that's okay, you have a huge portfolio and need might need these people to help you sell names.

3) Is there a full moon out this week or something? :)

I agree. It MUST be a full moon somewhere.
:?:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How's that for "swarmy", Ron.

How's that, Dave? Well, since you seem to be bent on speaking in a non-existent language (maybe it's a Mission Viejo thing), all i can say is I am "oogledorfed" by your logic.

Keep posting photos of these characters whooping it up at domainer conventions.

Since taking photographs of participants normally goes hand in hand with covering an event, I will - but let's see if I've got this straight. Since, out of the hundreds of people whose photos appear on DN Journal each year, the mere site of one or two that you have issues with (but don't want to name) makes you madder than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest - then it naturally follows that "DN Journal glorifies "swarmy" people." Check. I think everybody is "mogloglioff" on that now.

It speaks volumes about what lacks at dnjournal.com.

Definitely sorry that you find the publication lacking, Dave, downright "zeglorkified" as a matter of fact, but you will be happy to know that we have a money back gaurantee.

P.S. Hands down this is the weirdest thread I have ever taken part in. It's been fun, but time to return to the coal mine. :)

Last edited:

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you will be happy to know that we have a money back gaurantee.

Thank you for pointing that out.

I filled out the form on your website.
Will the check be in the mail tomorrow?

It didn't say on the form.
Do I get a prorated or full refund?

After cancelling my subscription, can I still sign up for the introductory special?
I don't want to miss the next issue.

:lol:

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron Jackson credibility = 100

Acquisition credibilty = 0

'nuff said....

Hope I spelled everything right...wouldn't want to make any misteaks...

Not to mention, Ron is one of the NICEST guys out there...and Classey~!

Oh...and did I mention Hard Working!!!!

ik

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Definitely sorry that you find the publication lacking, Dave, downright "zeglorkified" as a matter of fact, but you will be happy to know that we have a money back gaurantee.:)

Well said Ron. We get what we pay for.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sense there has been tension here that didnt start with this weeks report....

Really though to put someone down simply because you do not like the people he photographs or reports on is not fair. He doesn't chose who runs what he simply reports it, well and offers a list each week he does on his own time. It is clear you have issues with other's but dont kill the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom