Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

You should be ASHAMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those running Windows, there are a BUNCH of new critical patches now available, so I'm wondering if a bunch of people were hit. You should do your WINDOWS UPDATE *now*.

I ran the program Ron suggested above, and it found something called GoogleEMS that the rest did not find.

My machine is now running about 200% slower than before, and the CD burner no longer works. Arg. Oh, and it looks like McAfee has a memory leak, I run out of RAM after about 1 hour, even with all windows closed.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I didn't notice the name of the person who caused all this havoc?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
I didn't notice the name of the person who caused all this havoc?

This week's attack was sponsored by:
sidefind.com
searchmiracle.com
popupblocker.com
spywareavenger.com
rb37.com
toprebates.com

This was found in an irc log on the server from last week:

Wed Jan 26 17:35:25: LoadConfig(): Custom Command (Notice) 0: 'Welcome' 'to this VeTo str0.' Mode:0

Wed Jan 26 17:35:25: LoadConfig(): Custom Command (Notice)
2: 'who' '0Idlers:9 %usersidle%0. Total down:9 %usersdown% @ %speeddown%/s 0. Total up:9 %usersup% @ %speedup%/s0. Wich makes a total of: 9 %userstotal% @ 9 %speedtotal%/s' Mode:0

Wed Jan 26 17:40:55: LoadConfig(): Custom Command (SAY) 7: 'nookie' '4(_|_) 0<--- look at that fine ass. Wiggle it baby ! (with love from Harry) ;)' Mode:0

Wed Jan 26 17:40:55: Act as: BitchX-1.0c19+ by panasync - Linux 2.4.24-gentoo : Keep it to yourself!

Wed Jan 26 17:43:12: <--Q0 PRIVMSG #VeTo :9 ADMIN 0just made9 tracking\tracking, +11 Do NOT rehack, Hammer or.\r\n

M

mole

JuniperPark said:
For those running Windows, there are a BUNCH of new critical patches now available, so I'm wondering if a bunch of people were hit. You should do your WINDOWS UPDATE *now*.

Isn't your Windows Update set to install the patches automatically? :huh: You don't patch and you complain? hahahaa

On a side note, many of you may not be aware of the Norton Internet Security latest enhancements. I've got version 2004 Professional. It takes out spyware, key-loggers, malicious network scripts...

And the XP2 patch is really heavy duty in terms of security, so heavy I can't see the pictures embedded in html emails anymore without approving. I can't even run .swf files locally without my OS complaining about ActiveX threats.

Then there is Anonymizer 2005... it helps filter out weasle scripts while you surf.

hahhahaa

And by the way, my daddy is bigger than your daddy. :cheeky:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole, I thought you were smarter than this... you're asking why I don't give ADMIN authority to a 3rd party process to -- without any other permission whatsoever -- go out to the web to a machine the public DNS says is OK, download executables, and run them in background? GEE, I DUNNO, ya think this might be an easy way to get more powerful viruses installed?? I've never EVER heard of a professional organization allowing this in my 20+ years in this field. You're not doing this, are you mole? If you are, you are more vulnerable to attack than anyone. One little burp in the public DNS, and you're downloading and executing nasties from a computer anywhere in the world.

I also tried the latest Norton and is IS NOT recognizing the GoogleEMS worm the other system caught. You're running a web server on XP?? You do know that is for end-users, home use, right?

You should now be very ashamed, mole.... and vulnerable. What's your IP? :)

mole said:
Isn't your Windows Update set to install the patches automatically? :huh: You don't patch and you complain? hahahaa

On a side note, many of you may not be aware of the Norton Internet Security latest enhancements. I've got version 2004 Professional. It takes out spyware, key-loggers, malicious network scripts...

And the XP2 patch is really heavy duty in terms of security, so heavy I can't see the pictures embedded in html emails anymore without approving. I can't even run .swf files locally without my OS complaining about ActiveX threats.

Then there is Anonymizer 2005... it helps filter out weasle scripts while you surf.

hahhahaa

And by the way, my daddy is bigger than your daddy. :cheeky:

M

mole

JuniperPark said:
Mole, I thought you were smarter than this...

You thought wrong :cheesy:

Anyway, my daddy is still bigger than your daddy :cheesy: :cheesy:
:cheesy:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I can get you mole's IP but then I might have to go underground for a few weeks :-D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stevey said:
i have zone alarm security suite and spybot, and ive never had 1 problem in all of the time of being online, 3 or 4 years

I've had Zone Alarm for the last 4 months and have not had any problems whatsoever. A friend turned me on the software after my computer was taken over by a vicious virus.

p.s If you do install Zone Alarm on your system be prepared to wait when entering certain sites. It's a very thorough program. Also during certain times of the day it will spit and sputter (which slows things down) when it updates itself. At first it was maddening, since I have a cable modem, and it almost seemed like I was surfing the net on a dial up, but I've gotten used to it. I'd rather have a slow surfing experience then be a sitting duck.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
Originally Posted by izopod
Also during certain times of the day it will spit and sputter (which slows things down) when it updates itself.

mole said:

What? Don't you spit and sputter when you update yourself? :cheeky:

M

mole

I've just downloaded the Beta version of Microsoft AntiSpyware. It's doing a file by file deep scan right now in the background. The features look very good - real-time protection, auto-updates of spyware signatures, access to the SpyNet community...

M

mole

What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software
How to prevent spyware

Published: January 5, 2005
Spyware and other unwanted software can invade your privacy, bombard you with pop-up windows, slow down your computer, and even make your computer crash. Here are several ways you can help protect your computer against spyware and other unwanted software.

Step 1: Update your software
If you use Windows XP, one way to help prevent spyware and other unwanted software is to make sure all your software is updated. First, visit Windows Update to confirm that you have Automatic Updates turned on and that you've downloaded all the latest critical and security updates.

Step 2: Adjust Internet Explorer security settings
You can adjust your Internet Explorer Web browser's security settings to determine how much—or how little—information you are willing to accept from a Web site. Microsoft recommends that you set the security settings for the Internet zone to Medium or higher.

To view your current Internet Explorer security settings:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.

Select the Security tab.

For a step-by-step guide to adjusting your settings without blocking content from sites that you trust, see Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings.

If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you use Internet Explorer to browse the Web, your browser security settings for the Internet zone are already set to Medium by default. Internet Explorer in Windows XP SP2 also includes a number of features to help protect against spyware and many other kinds of deceptive or unwanted software.

Tip: Don't know which version of Windows your computer is running? Find out.

Step 3: Use a firewall
While most spyware and other unwanted software come bundled with other programs or originate from unscrupulous Web sites, a small amount of spyware can actually be placed on your computer remotely by hackers. Installing a firewall or using the firewall that's built into Windows XP provides a helpful defense against these hackers. To learn more about firewalls, read Why you should use a computer firewall and get answers to your Frequently asked questions about firewalls.

Step 4: Surf and download more safely
The best defense against spyware and other unwanted software is not to download it in the first place. Here are a few helpful tips that can protect you from downloading software you don't want:

• Only download programs from Web sites you trust. If you're not sure whether to trust a program you are considering downloading, ask a knowledgeable friend or enter the name of the program into your favorite search engine to see if anyone else has reported that it contains spyware.

• Read all security warnings, license agreements, and privacy statements associated with any software you download.

• Never click "agree" or "OK" to close a window. Instead, click the red "x" in the corner of the window or press the Alt + F4 buttons on your keyboard to close a window.

• Be wary of popular "free" music and movie file-sharing programs, and be sure you clearly understand all of the software packaged with those programs.

Step 5: Download and install anti-spyware protection
Microsoft currently offers anti-spyware beta software for download; more information is available on our Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) site.

Additional security tools to help block, detect, and remove unwanted software from your computer are available on our Security Downloads resources page.

Note: Microsoft is not responsible for the quality, performance, or reliability of third-party tools

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Need to start sueing these companies that make this junk. The only way to hurt them is by taking their money.

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am also current on everything and very protective to ensure my computers safety. However, I have had problems as well.

Vivvy said:
I run ad-aware, spybot, norton (2005), trendmirco's housecall, and the popup blockers from google and my isp. They're all always up to date.. and yet a machine on my network has two viruses and a hijacker I can't get rid of...

The entire goal of those who create these malicious pieces of crapola is to get around any and all of your defenses... even with the best, latest, most up-to-date you're still vulnerable because that's exactly what they're working to break through. Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but it is most likely you'll be infected eventually. Which is why I have never understood why those within our industry don't make a bigger louder fuss about these scammers. Not only that but we hold in awe those who can defeat our defenses. ARGH! It's crazy making...

Vivvy

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good advice!

mole said:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software
How to prevent spyware

Published: January 5, 2005
Spyware and other unwanted software can invade your privacy, bombard you with pop-up windows, slow down your computer, and even make your computer crash. Here are several ways you can help protect your computer against spyware and other unwanted software.

Step 1: Update your software
If you use Windows XP, one way to help prevent spyware and other unwanted software is to make sure all your software is updated. First, visit Windows Update to confirm that you have Automatic Updates turned on and that you've downloaded all the latest critical and security updates.

Step 2: Adjust Internet Explorer security settings
You can adjust your Internet Explorer Web browser's security settings to determine how much—or how little—information you are willing to accept from a Web site. Microsoft recommends that you set the security settings for the Internet zone to Medium or higher.

To view your current Internet Explorer security settings:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.

Select the Security tab.

For a step-by-step guide to adjusting your settings without blocking content from sites that you trust, see Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings.

If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you use Internet Explorer to browse the Web, your browser security settings for the Internet zone are already set to Medium by default. Internet Explorer in Windows XP SP2 also includes a number of features to help protect against spyware and many other kinds of deceptive or unwanted software.

Tip: Don't know which version of Windows your computer is running? Find out.

Step 3: Use a firewall
While most spyware and other unwanted software come bundled with other programs or originate from unscrupulous Web sites, a small amount of spyware can actually be placed on your computer remotely by hackers. Installing a firewall or using the firewall that's built into Windows XP provides a helpful defense against these hackers. To learn more about firewalls, read Why you should use a computer firewall and get answers to your Frequently asked questions about firewalls.

Step 4: Surf and download more safely
The best defense against spyware and other unwanted software is not to download it in the first place. Here are a few helpful tips that can protect you from downloading software you don't want:

• Only download programs from Web sites you trust. If you're not sure whether to trust a program you are considering downloading, ask a knowledgeable friend or enter the name of the program into your favorite search engine to see if anyone else has reported that it contains spyware.

• Read all security warnings, license agreements, and privacy statements associated with any software you download.

• Never click "agree" or "OK" to close a window. Instead, click the red "x" in the corner of the window or press the Alt + F4 buttons on your keyboard to close a window.

• Be wary of popular "free" music and movie file-sharing programs, and be sure you clearly understand all of the software packaged with those programs.

Step 5: Download and install anti-spyware protection
Microsoft currently offers anti-spyware beta software for download; more information is available on our Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) site.

Additional security tools to help block, detect, and remove unwanted software from your computer are available on our Security Downloads resources page.

Note: Microsoft is not responsible for the quality, performance, or reliability of third-party tools

AVC

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
I've had Zone Alarm for the last 4 months and have not had any problems whatsoever. A friend turned me on the software after my computer was taken over by a vicious virus.

p.s If you do install Zone Alarm on your system be prepared to wait when entering certain sites. It's a very thorough program. Also during certain times of the day it will spit and sputter (which slows things down) when it updates itself. At first it was maddening, since I have a cable modem, and it almost seemed like I was surfing the net on a dial up, but I've gotten used to it. I'd rather have a slow surfing experience then be a sitting duck.

Zone alarm blows chunks. I had it installed and then tried to uninstall and this peace of crap program dissalowed access for me to uninstall. Yes just like a virus. Use Sygate Personal Firewall, it is sooo much better then zone alarm.

sygate.com

download it at:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/spf/spf_download.htm
or
http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160.html

Robert
NCW-Online internet service
AVC Hosting

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Use Sygate Personal Firewall, it is sooo much better then zone alarm

Even better... Buy Norton Security! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom