Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

your going to get sued if you sell online?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

This thread strange reminds me of the quote "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time".

Such propostrous challenges, I believe, are man-created devices by lawyers to bring in the bread to the family and not on any fundamental human reasoning on fairplay. Just like .com :D

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by proproject
I guess part of me always wanted to be an attorney.

Part of everyone wants to be an attorney. Probably the lizard brain that remains in the core of every mammal. :eek:

I try to make legal issues interesting, perhaps because I still get a strange delight out of understanding the stuff after fifteen years of practice. See, I never expected to become a lawyer, having met many of my father's lawyer friends as a child. I noticed that: they went bald too soon, their libraries were full of books that had no pictures, they always wore suits, and they hardly ever had anything to say to a kid. Boring people, in other words.

In 1983 I discovered that lawyering was probably the only thing I was fit for, having gone through restaurant and grocery store work, as well as cutting firewood for sale. (Last job was the hardest, the most fun, the most dangerous, and the least remunerative.)

I discovered that verbal combat was my thing. When the author of The Book of the Samurai says that most battles are "fought on the mats with four inches of tongue," I say, "That's me!" And there's a bit of the verbal warrior in anyone, which is why lawyer repartee comprises such a chunk of our entertainment.

I found that strangely interesting. Thanks.

You make it sound like a sick kick!

Ciao,
Chas :cool:

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
This thread strange reminds me of the quote "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time".

One of my favorite quotes. Right up there with "never give a sucker an even break," which I swear I didn't understand until about five years ago. I'm like, "Duh, oh yeah, cuz then you wouldn't be able to sucker him anymore ... Okay!" I guess I just amn't a swindler by nature.

Such propostrous challenges, I believe, are man-created devices by lawyers to bring in the bread to the family and not on any fundamental human reasoning on fairplay. Just like .com :D

As an insider, I will disclose this -- often lawyers do in fact sit around chortling about how they're going to mutually exploit a dispute for their own benefit and the detriment of their clients. It's sort of the equivalent of mysoginistic commentary about "the girls" when guys are alone. Everyone has to pitch in, and they'd all be out in the doghouse if word got out.

As a practical matter, what is important for every client is to have enough self-education about legal matters to ask good questions. Second opinions from disinterested lawyers can be very helpful. I myself often tell clients stuff they don't want to hear, and at variance with what other lawyers tell them. I tell them to fight battles others say are unwinnable (Sex.Com), and to abandon battles others say they should continue (always a confidential topic).

An effective lawyer will treat you like a good doctor. If it's a headcold, she says, "take two and call me." If it's your heart, she sits you down, takes your cigarettes out of your shirt pocket and throws them in the garbage, then gives you the phone number for a health club, looks in your eyes and tells you that the suicide party is over. Then she shows you the angiogram and talks it up until you turn white. That's doctoring. You understand what the doctor understands, and you respond favorably because knowledge is compelling.

Same with lawyering. Getting stacks of paperwork done is secondary to helping the client understand what they hell is going on. When they do, they can make their own decisions, and tell the lawyer what to do. Which is what's supposed to happen.

Oh well, blabber. Everybody have a good weekend!

David_Hellam

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For an interesting satirical angle of this sort of litigation, may I recommend despair.com who patented the frownie...

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by David_Hellam
For an interesting satirical angle of this sort of litigation, may I recommend despair.com who patented the frownie...

That site made me laugh more than anything I've seen in a while. Thank you!

Chas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom