Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Zouzas Subject of New Article at DNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke I think acceptance of .US will be considerably broader than many expect. It's great to have the one-word killer domains, but my target market has always been small businesses (as that is the background I come from and the market I understand best). They will not be able to afford the killer one-word .us domains any more than they can afford killer one word .coms. Those will be left to the large corporate entities to buy and to be sure the owners of those names are going to do very well. At the same time, the supply of good 2-word .coms has been exhausted too. Personally I see a lot of value in good two-word domains. From a small business standpoint it gives you an opportunity to give people a great perception of what your business is all about, while keeping the address short and memorable. Something like AudioStore.us or PhotoCenter.us will be excellent for such businesses. They won't be $10,000 names - but will hit the sweet spot for small businesses around say $300-$500. I'll sell products like that all day when my wholesale cost is $7 (+ a couple of years renewal fees as .US matures and values rise). Millions of new American businesses will be formed in the next few years. I look for them to gravitate to .US to get solid yet affordable terms that will describe their business. It is obvious of course that a mediocre name will be worthless in any extension. P.S. Thanks to everyone for your kind comments about the article and to Christian for his time and co-operation!

Great article and post Duke, very well said. Keep up the great work and congrats on your Domain Journal, very well done.

I agree strongly about the good value of .us multi-word terms and phrases. I have zillions of them! Also have some real good 1 word .us names some may say as good or better than zouzas' fine 1 worders, and also have even more .us than him - perhaps too many!

I think there will be a wide market for multi-word com us and org names ahead, in that order, which is the same order I have been predicting their value of since last April when us launched.

BTW, I see there are posts regarding the believed high value of names like kidseducation.us and kidsclothes.us which will possibly feed off of common type-in errors where the dot is not typed-in as needed.

Those names with the keywords first are likely common misunderstandings as I feel the true value lies in names like educationkids.us and clotheskids.us (words in reverse order than what some are thinking). Do you agree on that or am I missing something?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

The reason I like .biz for small biz owners is that it's a perfect fit.

I'm a small business owner and I think .US is a better fit :) .

Of course, if I am selling overseas, then I would look to a global TLD.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

You were responding to Bidawinner not me - that was his quote.

I see you edited your post to correct it. Thank you.

:cool:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

I agree strongly about the good value of .us multi-word terms and phrases. I have zillions of them!

Sell...Sell...Sell!! :laugh:

Seriously!!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there will be a wide market for multi-word com us and org names ahead, in that order, which is the same order I have been predicting their value of since last April when us launched.

I can tell you from experience you are right about good 2-word .ORGs in the right industries. I have been having a great deal of success with them. Which is why I am convinced the same will be true of .US

Those names with the keywords first are likely common misunderstandings as I feel the true value lies in names like educationkids.us and clotheskids.us (words in reverse order than what some are thinking). Do you agree on that or am I missing something?

If you are going to play that angle then definitely the keyword would have to be first. Incidently I have already sold some those names for 3 figures and Kids.US has not even rolled out yet!

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

your right kids need to come at the end otherwise it is use less if your trying for people to miss the dot,,,example a couple i got

kidskids
kidkids
militarykids
clotheskids
foodkids
Artkids.us
Movie.kids.us

well you get the idea,,,,,:) :) :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The article starts...."April marks the one-year anniversary of the .US extension – America’s official country code."

.US has been around since .edu and .gov... :) , just not available to the general public.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We use dot com all the time to promote our goods. American's don't see gTLD's as a global tld. They see them as their own.

Absolutely. But what has that got to do with the pool of good .COM names being exhausted? Small businesses now have to look for an alternative extension if they want anything even resembling a good name. We can argue all day long about which new extension they will choose, but I have no doubt they will choose one of them.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains
The article starts...."April marks the one-year anniversary of the .US extension – America’s official country code."

.US has been around since .edu and .gov... :) , just not available to the general public.

Good point GD - I will fix that.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I'm a small business owner and I think .US is a better fit :) .

Of course, if I am selling overseas, then I would look to a global TLD.

Most small business owners in the US just want a cheap affordable solution to promote their business online.

Since .biz is being marketed as a "trademark" friendly, robust TLD, I think it's clear who will win out. Also Neulevel seems to have "add-on" services being marketed along with the domain.

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing.

note: I realize the word "US" is a strong brand in United States, but I don't think it carries over in to the online world as we thought it would. We've never had the "ccTLD" mindset, or the two character ENDING mentality. One Caveat to this would be good fitting dot US names (i.e cities, events, etc).These US names will do very well IMHO.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Good point GD - I will fix that.

That was fast...

Nice article El Duke'!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most small business owners in the US just want a cheap affordable solution to promote their business online.

Bingo! :)

As for being sure .biz will win out, the poll in another thread shows domain buyers here (all small businessmen) picking .US over .BIZ by a 3 to 1 margin. Obviously a small sample and nothing close to a scientific poll, but telling none the less.

I am a small businessman. I sell to small businesses. I could have concentrated on either .US or .BIZ, but as a small businessman found .US much more appealing to me. As I am pretty representative of that class of customers, I think my own impressions will be reflected in theirs. In fact I am betting on it. :)

Having said that - I think there is room for both. I think Mole could well be proven accurate in forecasting that .BIZ will see it's best action in the B2B space.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

That was fast...

Nice article El Duke'!

Thanks GD. Did you ever consider moonlighting as a proofreader? I could use one! :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Bid, you need to get out more. This is the "Dot Com" generation of kids. They will attract to "kids.us" like they do spinach on a Sunday afternoon dinner. NetNanny, et al work about as well as any "filtered" system I can think of. Coming up with "Kids.us" was a very dumb, and rushed piece of legislation IHMO. Once again, showing how little congress understands the online world. Keep in mind, I am a hard core conservative. I above anyone should embrace "Kids.us" with open arms. I don't---I think it "dumbs down" the system by a factor of 10.

Also keep in mind... Everyone "hates" third level domains. If you think "Kids.us", (a.k.a) www.fun.kids.us will make them "recognize" dot us better then it would have already happen given the fact most schools use the dot US names, example www.brentwood.k12.sd.us.... note: Most schools that are wired to the internet have a ".k12.sd.us" homepage.

further notes on states moving to a dotcom: Those were the only two that I remembered. There are more.

Dot come generation? :laugh:

the .com generation was our generation, the new genertaion is ALREADY accepting new TLDs, from ccTLDS to the .BIz, ,.INfo even the damn island domains, .. and Kids.US is not just another alternative it is LAW ..they have to taught about Kids.Us

We are talking about 1rst graders to 8th graders Izopod..not 16 years old Jimmy that wouldnt be caought dead on a Kids.US site

You'll understand soon enough..

I see the Kids browser war is starting to develop..

http://www.dot-kids.com/

http://www.pearlsw.com/home/dotkids.html

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Izopod,

I like this guy's view of Kids.Us .. basically he boils it down to ..it's going to happen.. do we want to be on the inside or outside...

http://www.ala.org/alonline/netlib/il203.html

"It might well be better to be on the inside of this trying to make it work. This is a tremendous and highly visible opportunity to demonstrate the value of selection, evaluation, collection development, instruction on information literacy, and the other aspects of librarianship. We’ve been making the argument over the last several years that these approaches are preferable to filtering software; now we get to prove that’s true. "

This quote is kind of funny... (considering a lot of domainers will be trying for these types on names)

"It seems likely that this thing is going to be implemented within the next year, so we ought to be there and build superior sites for that domain. Somebody somewhere is going to get control of library.kids.us; I’d think we’d all prefer that it be a library or librarian, yes? "

Thats all I am saying..the awareness level is going to be tremedous for Kids.uS .. which in turn raises the awarenss level of the parent .US.

I think thats a huge advantage over other recently released extensions...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Bingo! :)

As for being sure .biz will win out, the poll in another thread shows domain buyers here (all small businessmen) picking .US over .BIZ by a 3 to 1 margin. Obviously a small sample and nothing close to a scientific poll, but telling none the less.

As someone pointed out to me awhile back, .biz is not "domainer" friendly, so as I said before the results do not suprise me. This is definitely OK with me. To say the results are "telling" gives me the impression you like Dot US somehow??? (We couldn't tell Duke!!--:laugh: )

As far as Dot US and it's prognosis, I think "one-worders" will be fine. City names good. Event names held in the US --good.

However for small business names... Nope. You have to take into account probably the single most important aspect of a domain. It's "email" counterpart

Check this:

[email protected]

vs

[email protected]

How Eerily similiar wouldn't you say?? This US "connection" isn't good in my opinion. That's why I recommend very short Us names. Zouzas is a prime example:

[email protected] (not bad)

[email protected] (good)

Note: One thing I try to keep is things "in check". A lot of people who don't have money (as evidenced by the bolt to the other forum) are making buying decisions based on Senior DNF forum leaders comments. It's our responsiblity to get people the facts, especially those who live outside this country who might be trying to buy the #@^#^ out of dot US thinking "any" dot us name is worth the money. It's just simply not true.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

As someone pointed out to me awhile back, .biz is not "domainer" friendly, so as I said before the results do not suprise me. This is definitely OK with me. To say the results are "telling" gives me the impression you like Dot US somehow??? (We couldn't tell Duke!!--:laugh: )

As far as Dot US and it's prognosis, I think "one-worders" will be fine. City names good. Event names held in the US --good.

However for small business names... Nope. You have to take into account probably the single most important aspect of a domain. It's "email" counterpart

Check this:

[email protected]

vs

[email protected]

How Eerily similiar wouldn't you say?? This US "connection" isn't good in my opinion. That's why I recommend very short Us names. Zouzas is a prime example:

[email protected] (not bad)

[email protected] (good)

Note: One thing I try to keep is things "in check". A lot of people who don't have money (as evidenced by bolt to the other forum) are making buying decisions based on Senior DNF forum leaders comments. It's our responsiblity to get people the facts, especially those who live outside this country who might be trying to buy the #@^#^ out of dot US thinking "any" dot us name is worth the money. It's just simply not true.

Movies.US is much better than Movies.Biz.. considering MOST of the box office hits are US Made ! :D

And your drycleaning.us example is also wrong..if your drycleaning is in the US ..then it is a PERFECT fit..

Your advice that just any .US isnt worth a lot of money..goes for all extensions..

Like you said..lets give them the facts ! :laugh:

small business and Large business in the US .. .DOT US MUCH stronger than .Biz..

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

To say the results are "telling" gives me the impression you like Dot US somehow??? (We couldn't tell Duke!!--:laugh: )

Who started that vicious rumor - I'll murder the guy! :)

I really don't want to waste a lot of time arguing an issue that can't be proven until some point in the future (actually it will probably never be settled. It's like which is better - blondes or brunettes? Well, OK, so that's not such a good example, as my blonde wife just pointed out to me :)).

However, there is one thing about this argument that I really like. Six months ago, the argument was over whether or not new namespace would ever be accepted. Now the argument has shifted to which subdivision of new namespace will be see the most use. :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a good time for a hotblonde.us plug - in tonight's auction - $1

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom