Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

moniker New Moniker's System

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This new design, coupled with the downtime and terrible customer service have made me look for a new registrar.
Unfortunately, it seems UI design teams for registrars are not very good! There's another big registrar that recently went through a site redesign and its a huge UI mess now.

I agree. All this modern design ui crap is pissing me off. I want to click a button and go to a new page with action. How hard is that? Instead everyone is adding fancy crap that may or may not work in whatever browser you're using. Sliding popups are a huge annoyance for me.

The new Moniker interface and this fiasco means I'm going to be moving all my domains asap. They've completely lost my trust.

We now have domain names that we attempted to renew at Moniker.com appearing "in auction" today on snapnames. Watch your names and keep records of everything.

I got money that says a class-action suit is coming if domains are lost. I'll get in on it too just because of the loss of security I paid for with my Portfolio Maxlock and having to move all my domains to secure them again.

This is all ridiculous and not one word from Moniker in either NP or here. They owe the professional domainers that's trusted them and touted their service for years a full explanation and an apology.

I will be as vocal about their demise as I was with their rise. I'll make damn sure that everyone knows how crappy Moniker is now and that they have now become the worst registrar to use.

I'm trying to decide who to go with now....Name, Dotster, Enom? Who is most secure? And don't say Fabulous because I no longer have 750 domains or earn that in parking every month as they seem to require now.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have invoiced and billed me for domains that I marked NOT TO RENEW and names that I let expire over a month ago. I will not be paying for these domains as they were marked to expire on purpose. There are a plethora of other issues here too but I like everyone else cannot even get into their control panel to edit anything or at least remove any billing methods to transfer out. A disaster of epic proportions.

kektex

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm worried sick now that I see all these stories about domains acquired through auctions now showing up in other registrars, lost domains,etc. I didn't even download a file with all my domains just in case.

I will be as vocal about their demise as I was with their rise. I'll make damn sure that everyone knows how crappy Moniker is now and that they have now become the worst registrar to use.

I'm trying to decide who to go with now....Name, Dotster, Enom? Who is most secure? And don't say Fabulous because I no longer have 750 domains or earn that in parking every month as they seem to require now.

Their Customer support has never been the best, but at least I've always had the feeling my domains were safe. Now I don't even know where to move my domains.

Namecheap also felt the need to crapify their UI.
Fabulous has requirements I can't meet.
Godaddy I won't touch with a ten foot pole.
Gandi is way too expensive.

Any other recommendations?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm worried sick now that I see all these stories about domains acquired through auctions now showing up in other registrars, lost domains,etc. I didn't even download a file with all my domains just in case.

Their Customer support has never been the best, but at least I've always had the feeling my domains were safe. Now I don't even know where to move my domains.

Namecheap also felt the need to crapify their UI.
Fabulous has requirements I can't meet.
Godaddy I won't touch with a ten foot pole.
Gandi is way too expensive.

Any other recommendations?

Uniregistry (get a reseller account), Name.com, eNom (reseller accounts)

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker Management better come out and issue a statement about the problems and how they will solve it or they will be in serious problems.
The only solution I can see right now is to reverse to the old system before the problem will become worse.
The system is complicated and there is NO WAY that they can fix the problems with lot of BUGS. Apparently they did not do the Beta Testing before turning the Switch On.

A civil Suit may be in place not counting that they will lose a lot of customers because of this incident:

1. Charging Credit Card without permission is FRAUD - There is no excuses because bugs in the software. Visa/Master and other credit cards companies will terminate the relation with Moniker if there are enough complains
2. How much damaged have been done to the members since they can't renew, sell or make any changes to the name since the system is down.
3. There is no "Sorry Statement" from the CEO since the incident - How long can you hide before the customers start the litigation?

In summary there is ONLY ONE Solution and it has to be done IMMEDIATELY:
- Come Out and Say "I Am Sorry" - Reverse to the Old System and Debit back the unauthorized charges

kektex

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The site is back up! Let the exodus begin!!
Download a list of all your domains just in case. I have a feeling this is not going to be the last time we see problems with Moniker.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have one domain with Moniker as a result of a SnapNames catch. Guess where it is going: Uniregistry.

kektex

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WTF - They charged my credit card again?????

Moniker - Where are you?

Johnn where are you seeing these charges? I got a notice in my email but no actual charge to my credit card. At least they haven't shown up yet online in my bank.

kektex

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Aaah yes, spoke too soon. I just got charged for a domain I do not want renewed. Nice one Moniker. What a clusterf..ck.

And they are sending emails for EACH domain. So if you renew 100 domains, you get 100 different emails apparently.
How does this system go live without testing???

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Registerfly.com OMG..that's right...they imploded too and were a top registrar. Moniker is done.

They are online again but their security for maxlock is still incorrect and insecure.

Does anyone know if Uniregistry allows you to place your own company as whois registrar? I'm really looking for that so no one can really know who the registrar reselling company is. That would help from domains getting stolen by social engineers that call up bad customer support reps and convince them to move domains or other account actions. And yes, I have that problem.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Waiting for a domain to unlock itself. Received the auth code but apparently it takes a while to sync with the Registry.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me too guys...

I specifically left 9 domains to expire this month, even selected the delete now feature to test it out for those 9 names before they went down.

Any ways guess what, I still have them and they sent me invoices for their renewal LOL what a scam or huge back end problem. In the invoice (email) it asks for a bank wire, why because I do NOT have a valid credit card on file, I only used paypal all these years :)

So they cannot auto renew anything on me and charge a credit card, ha. Big problem is when I do wish to renew a name, unless I spend $25 or more I can no longer use paypal so guess what, you ain't forcing me to give a credit card, goodbye Moniker UNLESS you change the paypal policy.

Does anyone have a good phone number for the Moniker head we can call and voice our disapproval with changes and policy?

kektex

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TheLegendaryJP : did you check if the domain you are being invoiced for shows as renewed? I have an invoice for a domain I chose not to renew, but it's still showing a 2014 expiry date. So maybe it's just a mistake and you are not being billed.
I've got to keep an eye on my credit card, for some reason my bank takes a couple of days to show new charges.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not believe it is actually renewed, no, it is an invoice as if I wanted or requested a renewal and asking for payment (via bank wire) again because I do not keep a valid cc on file. I noticed the email invoice is deceiving in the fact it appears as if it is renewed or being renewed because it
shows a section like this showing an additional year ...
Service / Description Net VAT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XXXXXXXXX.com RENEWAL 1 [2014-06-13 -
2015-06-13] 9.59 0.00

BUT there is a portion of the invoice that states
"Please note that your domain requests are only processed after receipt of payment."

Therefore I believe and can verify by looking at the name in the account and whois, it has not been renewed. What my fear is, if they had a valid cc on file I believe they would just charge me and send a receipt, which is disturbing considering they were set to not renew and I asked for immediate delete as well a day ago.

Really for me right now the paypal policy is a killer. Let's say I wanted to renew or reg a $9 domain but couldn't via paypal because of the $25 minimum. Can not pay via credit card either for obvious reasons (cannot trust them) or even prepaid funds may be automatically taken for unwanted renewals, so I have to do a bank wire for a $9 reg/renewal LOL that is a joke! And why unless the paypal policy changes quickly I can no longer logically do business with them ever again.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators