Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Achieving "Link Popularity"...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've no/very little knowledge in the area of website development and promotion but one thing that I've come across many times is the importance of "link popularity" for SE rankings. My understanding is that this refers to the number of other websites containing a link to yours? Is that correct? If so, would it work if the same person has several websites containing links to each other; kind of mini-web inside the web. Any relevant feedback and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Domain Summit 2024

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would have to be done correctly. Google in paticular (which at the moment means Google/Yahoo/AOL) dislikes too much "self directed" linking. You need a good amount of incoming links from other sites as well to fly under the radar.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you pm me the url of your site i can point you in the right direction and maybe even help you write an email template for requesting link trades

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In general, this should help as long as the domains are different and are not redirects. It's a constant battle by webmasters to figure out what helps get a higher rank and by SE designers to keep webmasters from finding out the algorythms and "working" them to their advanatage.

SHHHHH...... If they figure out people do this, they may start doing whois, IP number range, or hosting provider compares to eliminate this from working.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DryHeat,

Here's something I heard about but haven't yet tried:

If you're looking for link popularity with Google, go there and do a search for "guestbooks".

It will give you a list of almost 300,000 links. Now, since these 300,000 links are already indexed in Google, just start clicking on the links and filling out those guestbooks that allow you to list your URL.

The next time Google does some indexing, guess what?
Your link is included.

Or so the theory goes.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes but google works on the page rank system and 300 links from sites with a poor pagerank will not help you much

it would be much better to have one link from a site with a high page rank than 300 with a very low pagerank

mef666

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hoping that guestbooks are not spam.

A

Addictive

its all to do with the META names in your webpage

copy these and edit them to what you want

<meta name="keywords" content="50 keywords is good enough for google :)">
<meta name="description" content="paste your keywords here twice">
<meta name="rating" content="General">
<meta name="expires" content="never">
<meta name="language" content="english">
<meta name="charset" content="ISO-8859-1">
<meta name="distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="1 Day">
<meta name="email" content="[email protected]">
<meta name="publisher" content="yourname or company">
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright ©2002 -">

then place comment tags ( <- with your keywords here -> ) over the page in the HTML google does not penalise for this :)

the best results can be achieved by placing the comment tags before the 1st <HTML> tag , before the last </HEAD> tag and the same for before and after the end </BODY>
tag :)

this won't guarentee a top 10 ranking but it will put you on the right road

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Addictive
its all to do with the META names in your webpage

copy these and edit them to what you want

<meta name="keywords" content="50 keywords is good enough for google :)">
<meta name="description" content="paste your keywords here twice">
<meta name="rating" content="General">
<meta name="expires" content="never">
<meta name="language" content="english">
<meta name="charset" content="ISO-8859-1">
<meta name="distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="1 Day">
<meta name="email" content="[email protected]">
<meta name="publisher" content="yourname or company">
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright ©2002 -">

then place comment tags ( <- with your keywords here -> ) over the page in the HTML google does not penalise for this :)

teh best results can be achieved by placing the comment tags before the 1st <HTML> tag , before the last </HEAD> tag and the same for before and after the end </BODY>
tag :)

i wouldnt waste too much time on meta tags - sure you need them on your site but they arent that important any more

only inktomi uses them now:)

A

Addictive

google does as well
my best friends boyfriend works for them in london and he told me everything he knows about the way they place sites and keywords etc

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
google does as well
my best friends boyfriend works for them in london and he told me everything he knows about the way they place sites and keywords etc

google does what as well?:D

A

Addictive

Originally posted by fonzerelli_79

i wouldnt waste too much time on meta tags - sure you need them on your site but they arent that important any more

only inktomi uses them now:)

google does as well :D

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
google doesnt

google is a newer search engine like fast that doesnt and never has used meta tags

google looks at the title, domain name, keywords and also relies on its page rank system

ive read about freak occurences where google has looked at meta tags but your lucky is thats 1 in every million websites spidered

A

Addictive

Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
google doesnt

google is a newer search engine like fast that doesnt and never has used meta tags

google looks at the title, domain name, keywords and also relies on its page rank system

the keywords and description are meta tags !!

hence the <meta name="keywords" content="blah">
<meta name="description" content="blah">
anything with meta in the front is a meta tag ! and if keywords werent meta tags why the <meta name="keywords" content="">
????

i think you need to do a bit more reading about meta tags fonz

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

the keywords and description are meta tags !!

hence the <meta name="keywords" content="blah">
<meta name="description" content="blah">
anything with meta in the front is a meta tag ! and if keywords werent meta tags why the <meta name="keywords" content="">
????

i think you need to do a bit more reading about meta tags fonz

addictive - what i am trying to say is that google doesnt even look at your meta tags

please show me a site on google where the description is from the meta tags cos id like to see it

when you do a search on google the description of the site comes from content on that page

the keywords i referred to are the keywords on the page - not the meta tags ie. placing keywords on the content of your page

im sorry addictive but whoever told you that does not have a clue what they are talking about

4 5 years ago all the major search engines used meta tags - ie. altavista, excite etc

google and fast werent even developed until the late nineties and because of the way meta tags were being abused they decided from day one that meta tags should not be in their spidering algorithm

no offense but i think its you who needs to do abit of reading. Someone who has just got their first domain name obviously hasnt been in this game for long. Ive been an active member on a few search engine forums for some years - i suggest you sign up with some of them:)

A

Addictive

by the way fonz, if a descrition is not added in the meta tag then the top 75 or so words on the page are used :p

ok i noticed that a person was on the other day who sent me a PM spamming his site. look up his site on google

search for d4 media

there you will see the description , keywords etc being pulled from the meta tags :)

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
your right that search does use meta tags but this is one of those freak occurences i was talking about

i read about it recently and everyone was shocked that a forum members site was described using meta tags

in essence google uses it as back up

the priority for google is this

Highest ranking: domain based. ie: search for mp3 turns up www.mp3.com.
Appears whois domain information may be being used. The frequency of INC in the top ten results is no accident. We feel they are using Whois data now to influence results. (sept 1, 2000).
Page Linkage. Read their info on Page Rank. Highly informative and good reading for the search engine addict.
Title. As always, it is important, but it doesn't appear to hold the weight that other search engines give it.
GOVT, EDU, COM, NET seems to be the order of relevancy with some foreign domains ranking higher than their American .com mirror counterpart. Althought, .gov's and .edu's are starting to take a nose dive in Google due to the effects of Page Rank (.edu's and .gov's have historically had low linkage numbers).
Reciprocal Linkage text. (text of a link pointing to your site).
Keyword text within headings. h1...h6
Bold faced words or large font words.
Page size : smaller is better.
Stay away from dynamic page extentions (.asp, shtml, shtm, jsp...etc).
Density is not a major factor. In testing, keyword density has been all over the map from 20% to even 0%, yes zero (its that links thing again).

A

Addictive

not bothered about all that , you said it doesnt use meta tags tyo pull descriptions etc ive proved my point that it does,
search for warez and see the results also :)

discussion closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom