Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

All zipcodes in .US extension go live

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
does anyone think this will help the value of (areacodes).us? i have two in my local area i was think of developing in to local directories.

I thought the same thing. I have several myself and believe this would be a more efficient way to subdivide geographical areas. Most of us are familiar with surrounding area codes and not so much with zip codes.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it does seem like going backwards,,that is dns went from numbers to coresponding names where people are more familair with names not numbers,,,

relevant local feeds and tying the whole network together as one will be the key in making it work.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whatever the outcome, it sure looks like a good effort to promote the .us extension.

Which is the only way alternative extensions can become popular (heavy promotion that is).

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a non-starter at this point of being any real use to the average user...

I put in 19610.US where I live and they don't even have the more specific locality name ...

19610 is grouped with "Reading, PA" by the USPS, but 19610 itself specifically refers to "Wyomissing, PA" and has its own Post Office.

http://gallery.wyomissing.com/bennett/P8290029

Zipcodes are full of quirks that can tripup use of them in marketing unless hand-checked and massaged to fit that of what the people in a given zipcode associate it with.

Worse, the links on the 19610.US site aren't even closely relevant ... clicking on "Shopping" brings up generic, national links, but nothing truly local ... and that's very surprising, since Reading, PA is well known for Outlets, in particular VF Factory Outlets which are located in Wyomissing, PA.

Ron
Ron, one big thing some domainers are missing is the impact of the .US directory submission that is on all the pages. Businesses can obtain a .US extension for their company and be included in the US directory.This was ordered by the Dept of Commerce. As more businesses find their way to their local zipcode for one, and other upcoming huge .US development appears, familiarity of the availability of the extension will grow in leaps. With the continued expansion of .com around the world, and recognition of other ccTLDs, search will become more topic and geo defined. I would think that Americans do and will want to find products and services that they can identify as at least US based, and then even neighborhood based. Remember that a ton of the local government related sites for their cities, towns, libraries etc etc already have a .US presense. People are already going to a US site to pay taxes, obtain new car registrations, etc etc and will in huge numbers across the nation soon. The .US extension doesn't need to replace .com, large business will wake up to the fact that they will also want a .US or lose traffic, whether they point the .US to their .com or the other way around. Small business will soak up .US generics even faster.

There is NO question of whether .US will take hold, it's a question of how fast.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone knows the one zipcode for where they live at. You do not have to know the zipcode for all the surrounding areas, they can add a feature so that you only type in your own zipcode and then the site will automatically display the surrounding zipcodes and a map within your city that will give you the option to search several neighboring zipcodes at the same time kind of like when people search to buy homes. The other alternative is to type in the name of the city and go to a site that is geo targeted. So what it comes down to is that it looks like in the future local search for different services and businesses such as hotels, restaurants, and real estate will move more towards direct navigation either by zipcode or city name. Nowadays most people are used to typing in the name of a product or service through direct navigation and then they refine their search to a specific location, but in the future it might go the other way around, first they type in the location and then they search for the product or services that they need.

linkdomain

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I have several myself and believe this would be a more efficient way to subdivide geographical areas. Most of us are familiar with surrounding area codes and not so much with zip codes.

i agree. everyone knows their surrounding area codes better and use them when communicating via the telephone... ie. yellow pages. when you think of a business one of the first means of contacting them is to call. you see an area code and get a feeling right away for where they are geographically.

for a local business directory i would like the use of an area code instead of a zip code. a zip code imho would be better for a local portal.

but i also agree this project with help the .us exposure overall.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nowadays most people are used to typing in the name of a product or service through direct navigation and then they refine their search to a specific location, but in the future it might go the other way around, first they type in the location and then they search for the product or services that they need.

good point there oldtimer,,,

for me anyways ,,,if your looking to order everyday items,,drycleaning,,pizza etc you want somebusiness in your area not 3 states away or some other country and everyone knows there own zipcode or maybe couple towns around them,,,

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With internet there is always going to be different options and people will choose different ways to search according to what they like. To talk about one system does not mean that the other ones are bad. Eventually all systems that can produce useful local results will probably get developed and will be used by different people for different needs, it does not matter if they are based on zipcodes, city names, or area codes or any other geo identifier the important thing is to have a complete set and develop a network that does not have gaps in it.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Area codes are become a moving target these days due to number portability and overlays. Use of area codes in marketing sites / search utilities still has value, but will likely deminish rapidly over time.

So in that regard, zipcodes are superior, in that they are much more static.

However, most people are still more knowledgeable of their area code(s) than all the various zipcodes in their local area.

Anyways, I see the zipcode site being another way of finding things, but the big search engines could easily usurp it if they chose to ... amazingly, Yahoo is way ahead of Google in this regard - at least for the test zipcode searches I did ... Google didn't yield much while Yahoo provided very specific local results.

Ron

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The zipcode network might become superior to other methods if it covers all areas and is developed correctly and is able to provide crisp, clear, and precise results for searching local businesses and services in a systematic way that people can depend on and thus remember more like some of the other services that they already use that involves zipcodes like their local post office. The important thing is not to allow this network to get cluttered with useless junk.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the doc said it right ,,folks are already used to going to their local or state sites with .us this is another extension of that but with privatization,,ie making money off of those databases already in place...

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
47,156 .us registered today

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another.US success. The next project will be registering IP addresses ;). Then again, if it helps kick start the US country code, then it has to be a good thing.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Losers? They're all involved 100%, just some taking longer. Who told you that 90210 was the most important US zipcode? You get that from the kiddie show Skipper? Give the Captain back his hat, and quit messing around with Gilligan.

Buffoon, let me explain you something: ";)" = I am kidding.

Originally you wrote here "You're still the biggest loser on this forum, Skipper." Why you deleted it, Buff ? Ashamed of emanations of your own brain ? C'mon, we know you, thats exactly you, you do not need to delete it ! You are still the biggest Buffoon on this forum, but the kind of not-funny, which always seems to be a little drunked and kids are affraid of him.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
47,156 .us registered today

and 29,078 the other day wonder if its more zipcodes going live,,,

whats the total # of zipcodes in america ?

whats some zipcodes in hawaii and some of the other us islands to see if theyre live.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What makes zipcodes stand out is the fact that almost everyone knows the one zipcode of where they live at. Even for people who want to search other locations they can always use their own zipcode as a gateway to enter the zipcode network and from there they can be guided to other locations. Most people can tell you their own zipcode right away but they do not remember their IP or other numbers right of hand and that is a key element that makes the zipcode idea feasible. If the system is fully and correctly developed your zipcode can be the one stop portal to all things local including maps, reviews, and virtual tours of many products, services, and places that an average person needs or uses on a daily basis.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks to be about 40,000 (39,583 in 2004) according to the census bureau. Lots of interesting stuff about the US...
http://factfinder.census.gov/

pretty huge huge network All going live at once,,just matter of targeting each zip with local info and tying it all together....

looks like 110k total .us regs just this week

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
. If the system is fully and correctly developed your zipcode can be the one stop portal to all things local including maps, reviews, and virtual tours of many products, services, and places that an average person needs or uses on a daily basis.

looks like thats the idea with this for bookmarking

Your local source for what’s happening near you.
Make this "My Neighborhood" page

also found out from neustar that not only All zipcodes got uploaded into the zone last week ALL 5 number combos also.. all 5 number combos are reserved by the DOC and will be part of the us directory so if theres typos you land in the directory.

they aslo said all zips are being populated with local specfic data and should propagate withing a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom