Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Almost impossible to grab 'good' expiring names - unfair system favoring BuyDomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buydomains tries very hard for the best names, maybe that is a lession in extreme measures - whatever it takes.

But Snaps got me two matching pairs recently, so I know they are still pumping.

WSL or WLS, who cares, bring it in now!

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is what I gather from all of this discussion:

1) BuyDomains.com obviously has a good strategy and takes a proactive approach versus going through another service to do it for them.

2) Using RRP is the only way to get realtime information about a domain.

3) Some people here know more than they are saying. (This may have to do with the fact they know how the system works and are using it to benefit themselves, which I do not blame.)

If we went to a WLS auction or whatever then I'd probably get none of the names because i'd get outbid everytime. At least this way we have SOME chance of getting a name and not putting 20,000 joe blows into the picture bidding against me.

Now with all that said I am going to say that I've gotten some really great names and compiled some really phenominal lists of names with simply whois information and free expired list information. Even days after the expired lists come out there seems to be too many names for one to go through one by one without going insane. And if you use software I feel it's somewhat debatable whether a program can analyze a good name or not. Then again I don't doubt it can be done.

I personally wouldn't mind getting a one word domain name or even a 2-3 letter domain name but the fact of the matter is I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think when you get away from the mainstream grabs you will see there are a plethora of ones available that may suit your needs just be patient.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you have to assume that most inside knowledge won't find itself on a public forum, especially when people are whining.

Where there's a desire to learn, you can earn!

My infommercial motto!

By the way, Michael Mann gives a lot of money to charity if it's any consolation :D

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Where did you ever read the WLS is a bid system?

Funny how you say you will not get the names you want now with the current system, but bemoan the WLS. Funny too how buydomains churns its anti-WLS propoganda machine with its protest of the WLS as anticompetive, yet all the while whips the competion in the current drop format. Who can blame their position? But easier still, who can't see through their position?

The fact of the matter is that the buydomains and the other big money people will dominate the expired domain racket. Sooner or later the 'small player' will ultimately succumb to this reality and realize the WLS is the only possible way to compete for a GOOD name. Funny too how some around here boast of participating in the healthy competition as being fair yet are scared out of their jockstraps at competing in a WLS format. Candy-A**es.

As buydomains and the other high money people continue to clean the clocks of everyone else at the GOOD expired domain game, the cluebird will finally land on the shoulders of you some of you posters...Until then, the entity with the most bucks to buy the most RRP connections will win----ante up people and knockoff the whining in the meantime.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me bathe in the soothing waters of RacerX's post...

Pass the chamomille kids, the Clue Train has just rolled into town. :razz:

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This I read from another forum:

UltSearch could probably WLS every generic domain currently registered for what he pays for domains through auctions a year now (an exaggeration but you get the point).

I have to agree with him!!!
The small players would be soon gone!
This moment we have opportuneties to grab good names, but then not!
There will be soon services like snpanames and namewinner or nicgenie and they will be better than buydomains or ultsearch
So in my opinion no WLS

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
is certainly smart, but he is not stupid, and that quivering-cowardly-lion belief is stupid. The 'small' players already are gone. Get real.

Funny, I don't see any Estonians getting the GOOD names now.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RacerX
is certainly smart, but he is not stupid, and that quivering-cowardly-lion belief is stupid and head-in-sand thinking. Get real.

Funny, I don't see any Estonians getting the GOOD names now.

SO?
You don`t get them to?
They are all goning to HONG-KONG!

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
WLS. RacerX is a 'small' player and loses regularly to Hong Kong, buydomains etc. You have just illustrated my point.

RacerX favors the first-come first serve of the proposed WLS where it does not require payment to BUY the RRP connections.

Estonians and all but the wealthy are losing on the GOOD names now, why do you continue to support the current system??

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Estonians and all but the wealthy are losing on the GOOD names now, why do you continue to support the current system??

Then You gonna lose more!
Someone but`a WLS on a name maybe 5 years before it expires!
Do You have that kind of money to but let`s say for 50 names *$35=1750 USD
That money would stay under this names and Youi just wait and then the owner renews the name?
In my opinion BAD SYSTEM

But we will see!

I still don't understand any references to competing and WLS in the same posting. With WLS, there is NO competition - Verisign simply has a monopoly on the dropping domain market. Period.

Today there is ample competition, at every price point imaginable. This is always a good thing in the marketplace.

The fact that someone can become an ICANN registrar and get a high return on their investment by going directly after expired domains is in no way unfair business practices. The only reason that SnapNames did not get ICANN accredited and go against the Registry at Drop Time themselves is because it's very expensive.

The WLS eliminates all competition for dropping domain names. Once you buy the WLS subscription - and keep it current - you are guaranteed the domain name if it drops. Where is the competition in this? If you try to argue that the first one to buy the subscription now wins the competition, you don't understand the free market. This is not competition, this is a monopoly.

-t

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
coming, whether you like it or not. Bring it on.

I bet all those poorer nations are relishing the notion of paying 4 times as much under the WLS for a domain name - even for the poorer ones. Not only that, they will have to wait for much longer for a return on their investment if they want to stand a chance of getting it.

The WLS will favor the more wealthy players.

But I don't expect that will sink in with the masses until its too late.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thinking.

If that were true, there would not be the 60,000 current snapback subscriptions THAT COST $69 AND that yield ONLY A REMOTE POSSIBILITY of getting a name.

With playgirl.com 'auctioned' by dotster for 11K, you are saying you will pay more with WLS? Get real.

Go WLS!!

You are not thinking this through.

Snapback is currently only ONE OF MANY ways to get a domain (and not the best method - hence the buydomains situation). The WLS will be the ONLY game in town, so people who are currently spending large sums on registrar deals will have to move to the WLS to further their business.

Example: the moment a domain like playgirl.com passes expiry, someone will WLS it (maybe even before) - and thats regardless of if it will actually expire futher down the line.

So to stand a chance on good domains, you'll need to be able to stand out of the $35 for a long period of time and still not be guaranteed getting the domain name. Because more people will be speculating *earlier* in the process, it will become more costly as you'll be speculating on IF it will drop not just at the point of the drop.

If you are lucky enough to be first for the better domains and they drop - they great, you'll see a good return. But it will mean the poorer people will struggle to make the most of the system as they won't be able to stand out of the kind of money for the lengths of time it will take to be competitive.

Once a WLS subscription is in place on a domain - and itself not allowed to expire - the domain is guaranteed to be given to that person on expiry and drop. No speculation required.

All that will be required is money. If you can afford to hold the WLS subscription on a domain year after year, you will. If you cannot, you will be left with the leavings.

Speculation for the little guy will be a thing of the past.

I wonder who will sell WLS subscriptsion on the WLS list to capture the expiring WLS subscription market...

-t

Originally posted by thewitt

I wonder who will sell WLS subscriptsion on the WLS list to capture the expiring WLS subscription market...

-t

:laugh: maybe wls subscriptions will be traded also?

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
do the exact same thing now with Snapnames.

Registrars will be the ones offering a RETAIL WLS service--who do you think??

If WLS is DOA as some suggest, the registrars will not participate, and the whole concept will die. We will see. The smart money says the registrars will sign on. Watch and see.

Who is sayng the WLS will be DOA?

The WLS will succeed automatically as it will be the only game in town for drops. Registrars will have to adopt it to replace income lost from the speculators currently using them at drop time.

Thats why Verisign want to do it - by being a monopoly they can set whatever rules and prices suits their bottom line the best.

You can do the exact same thing now with Snapnames.

Not true. When a domain drops, there are many registrars competing for it. A snapback is not a guarantee that if a name drops it will become yours.

The WLS will be a guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators