Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Almost impossible to grab 'good' expiring names - unfair system favoring BuyDomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
With Snapnames' 60,000 'lottery' ticket purchases, OF COURSE the number will be EXPONENTIALLY higher with a sure thing WLS. Anyone that placed a $69 subscription on a snapback will most surely desire a sure thing with the WLS. To believe othewise is idiotic. That is why, despite your bias, the WLS will succesful to the end user. You obviously feel your chances to compete will be diminished--too bad--not everyone's will be---as you advise--you better get smarter!!

Domain summit 2024

Currently, many people snap/nw/expfish the names they really want and use other methods to sweep the others. The very nature of a monopolistic WLS will mean that virtually all "halfway decent" domains will *need* to be WLS'd. That increases costs and means poorer people will have less they will be able to afford.

You are making an incorrect assumption about the impact the WLS will have on my own business though as I will benefit from it - but it will kill off a lot of the smaller players who register reasonable volumes currently as they simply won't be able to afford to compete. For every 4 domains they get currently, they will get one through the WLS and outside of the super primes, that means less domain volume, less chances of selling and less traffic.

I guess I'm not just thinking about myself on this one racer as I already have a business that works well based on my current holdings.

You obviously feel your chances to compete will be diminished-- too bad--not everyone's will be

Pride comes before the fall, as the WLS has not even been launched yet, that could be foolhardy optimism.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
put my 'optimism' ahead of loserville attitudes anytime.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Big difference between Snapnames and WLS:
On snapnames, the $69 give you the opportunity to use the same money to chase for another name if snap did not manage to grab a particular name for you; whereas the WLS fee is gone if a name won't drop.
As for rich/poor:
As to place a WLS order on a name will be too late when it's expiration has begun,a lot of people(the wealthier ones) will buy a WLS on a name just long time before it's even clear if it will expire or not.I even guess the big players will buy thousands of subscriptions for all the best names there are,and will do so on the very first day WLS opens its doors.That way they can create a monopoly for dropped names themselves,renew WLS subscription every year just for the case it drops and if they wish to,create a WLS subscription auction where you could buy a subscription for a name.Like buying and transferring domains right now but this time it's WLS subscriptions instead.
Just think for yourself:
If you would be a big player,this is what you would do:
Buy subscriptions for the 1000 best names there are,including sex.com,business.com and so on.This will happen on day 1 of WLS.Costs for year one: Not even a fraction of what a single name in this very high category could get you when after it has expired you resell it.And chances are big one name out of thousands is goind to drop one day.
Same for middleclass names.And if a player feels it takes too long for a name to eventually drop one day,he can auction the WLS subscr. for it.
So my prediction is:
- Everything is going to be decided and divided amongst the big players on day 1.
- WLS subscriptions will replace/add to the domain drop services.
- Domain disputes will increase.

Somehow i have a feeling the WLS could become illegal if questioned in front of a federal court.Simply because it means 100 000's of names would be gone literally for forever.
Same could happen with the current droptime situation that allows a registrar to gain control over a name that would have expired just because the current system allows them to keep a name by paying the $6 to the registry themselves.
Bottom line : It should be law that Domains drop when a registrant doesn't renew.Period.No exceptions.
That's why it's also law that you don't own a domain but it's rented so to speak.If you forget to renew - your fault and it becomes available again.

Man,so many things that are legally questionable when it comes to domains.
Not to mention the "bad faith" thing...i could go on forever.:)

Originally posted by RacerX
put my 'optimism' ahead of loserville attitudes anytime.

I still don't understand why you think that my not liking the WLS has anything to do with my not being able to gain advantage from it.

I've heard time and time again how a newbie will get everything in the next drop because they have a "killer" script. I don't know if you're a newbie chaser or not, but it just illustrates that any claim that someone will "game" a system is empty until proven.

Personally, I go with track records. There are people out there who have proved time and time again that they can get the best from any system that is put in place (ultsearch and buydoms being 2 examples).

Good luck with the WLS, you'll need it.

D

domaingator

RealNames, you need to go to Domain Drop School. Somewhere along the line you missed a course.

Buy Domains is doing nothing illegal or improper. The names you tried to get were in fact registered 24 hours prior. You were just late, your "name lists" are too late as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators