Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Any using Google+ yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have not seen much discussion on this , but this is just not about social networking but the way google is planning to change their focus on their search logic / algorithm. Soon, when a "+1" button is clicked on search result page, it will carry a higher weightage and depending on the # of users it is recommended, # of friends each of the user is having, the type of category (interests) these users have and many other things ...

google too have now accepted they may be changing the search logic in future considering thr +1 button
[How does +1 affect search results?

+1 helps people discover relevant content—a website, a Google search result,
or an ad—from the people they already know and trust. The +1 button appears on
Google search, on websites, and on ads. For example, you might see a +1 button
for a Google search result, Google ad, or next to an article you're reading on
your favorite news site.

Adding the +1 button to pages on your own site lets users recommend your
content, knowing that their friends and contacts will see their recommendation
when it’s most relevant—in the context of Google search results. In addition, a
user's +1's appear on the +1 tab of their Google Profile. While +1’s are always
public, users can choose to make the +1 tab visible or invisible on their
profile.

When a signed-in Google user is searching, your Google search result snippet
may be annotated with the names of the user's connections who've +1'd your page.
If none of a user's connections has +1'd your page, your snippet may display the
aggregate number of +1's your page has received.

Does +1 affect my site's performance in search?

Content recommended by friends and acquaintances is often more relevant than
content from strangers. For example, a movie review from an expert is useful,
but a movie review from a friend who shares your tastes can be even better.
Because of this, +1's from friends and contacts can be a useful signal to Google
when determining the relevance of your page to a user’s query. This is just one
of many signals Google may use to determine a page’s relevance and ranking, and
we’re constantly tweaking and improving our algorithm to improve overall search
quality. For +1's, as with any new ranking signal, we are starting carefully and
learning how those signals affect search quality.
more can be read http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/+1/button/index.html
most of my sites depends much on google traffic , so it will impact me and force me to use and recommend this feature more ...

**if this post was not the right category, then sincere aplogies to the mods/users here...

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Received an invite ages ago and never used it. In the view of many, including myself, Google+ is not seeking to become a Facebook clone per se, but rather as a way of encouraging people to establish real name profiles to better track them and their "friends" for the benefit of advertisers.

I have several separate Google related accounts all with no profiles - as long as I don't create any, the accounts will remain separate.

Been some horror stories of people who've created a Google+ profile and found their other Google accounts, such as Youtube, linked to it; issues with getting locked out of all their accounts for a Google+ violation, such as incorrect profile information - supposedly, total account lock out doesn't happen anymore, but some say it does in some instances ... not worth the risk of losing access to email, docs, etc over that.

Another aspect to consider is that once one creates a Google+ account and adds friends, there is no guarantee those relationships / data won't be exposed to those outside of the various circles one sets up. It's likely Google+ has better safeguards than Facebook, but, I for one, wouldn't trust it.

Sure, Google+ may be fine to use for professional networking, such as people do with LinkedIn, but for personal stuff, it seems no better than Facebook unless one assumes from the get-go that everything one posts is public and that circles, much like friend lists, are feel-good measures that offer little to no real privacy.

Also, many have the misconception that putting fake info in their user profile automatically protects them ... not so, as many Facebook users have found out. Contrary to popular belief, one's identity alone isn't the most valuable thing, but also one's relationships / interactions with others. A fake profile is only really effective when linked to other fake profiles that never mention anything factual - that rarely happens in the real world, in which they often link to real profiles and/or they and/or friends, which can include friends of friends, post factual information, such as where they live, schools, local events, clubs, etc. Point is, even with a fake profile, it's relatively easy to establish one's identity based on those linked to them - investigators track down people, with seemingly no identity and address, through relationships / activity all the time

Rambling on ... anyways, I've chosen to steer clear of Google+, and likewise with Facebook, etc.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom