Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

anyone else got this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear CitiBank customer,

Recently there have been a large number of identity theft attempts targeting CitiBank customers. In order to safeguard your account, we require that you confirm your banking details.

This process is mandatory, and if not completed within the nearest time your account may be subject to temporary suspension.

to securely confirm your citybank account details please go to:

https:web.da-us.citibank.com/signin/scripts/login/user_setup.jsp

thanks you for your prompt attention to this matter and thank you for using CitiBank! Citi Identity Theft Solutions

well for:
1; i never heard of CitiBank
2; i havent an account there so they can feel free to suspened any accounts they think i have
3; they really think im stupid enough to give them my login info if i had an account?

be carefull with s*** like this that gets sent out, if in doubt call the ppl you have your account with and ask for conformation that the email is real

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get citibank email's every day. I can't imagine why anyone would believe these email to be true, and to actually give out their login info to them. I guess if one person does it out of a million, it might be worthwhile to them.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Citibank is a real company, those emails are a scam.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are numerous scams like this - UK members beware of similar allegedly from Barclays and The Halifax.

M

mole

Some are really dumb, like from "USBank" Who the flat is that?

Ever since I funneled all my emails through Spamcop's POP server, haven't been getting those anymore.

I hope the Sender ID email standard is enabled very soon. Godaddy claims they will be the first registrar to allow registrants to add this additional identifier to their DNS records.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's called "phishing"

plug that into google and start reading

DO NOT click links in your email - if you need to go to a site, type it in yourself

If you cut and paste a link, make damn sure you read it carefully and know where you're going.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The following line is the key:
https:web.da-us.citibank.com/signin/scripts/login/user_setup.jsp

This line generally is going to be hyperlinked to a URL that is DIFFERENT from the one shown. The URL it is hyperlinked to will be an IP address usually, and if checked, will belong to some ISP, and someone's machine that will dissappear mysteriously the next day. May even be a dial-up account, or stolen AOL-dialup account they host the website off of.

They steal Citibank's look and feel, and get you to type in your information. If they're lucky to actually GET a CitiBank user... and that user clicks their BOGUS link... goes to their FAKE website (on their machine), and fills out the form... the form will likely re-direct to the REAL website, or give an error of some type. Meanwhile, they grab your information, and hot-foot it to the REAL CitiBank website, sign-in, and make a bill payment or something... to themselves.

Eh.

Don'tcha luv the net?

~ Nexus

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
same aplies to ebay.
I get every other day an 'ebay' mail that asks for me to update my account or lose it...
out of curiosity, i clicked on the link to see were it takes me, and they cloned the ebay site, it looked very real, however, by the IP and the domain, I knew of course it wasnt the real ebay.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
here's another example.

I just got this one. The strange think, it looks so real.
(It isnt though, they sent it to an address I dont use for ebay)

Dear eBay member ,

During our regular verification of accounts we couldn't verify your current information, either your information has changed or it is incomplete . If the account is not updated to current information within 5 days, your access to Buy or Sell on eBay will be restricted.

Go to the link below to update your account information:

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

Please don't reply to this email as you will not receive a response.

Thank You for using eBay!

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
I hope the Sender ID email standard is enabled very soon. Godaddy claims they will be the first registrar to allow registrants to add this additional identifier to their DNS records.
Google News:
http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=sender+id

Sender ID working group disbanded
http://www.vnunet.com/news/1158390

Microsoft patent-right insistence kills Sender ID anti-spam effort
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=ce719824-06ba-454e-8629-39c9bd487360

AOL Dumps Sender ID
http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3408601

We'll keep hoping someone figures out something... that isn't patented.

~ Nexus

myblueshoes

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know a lot of people fell for that Citybank thing.... they made millions I heard...before getting caught. Most of CityBank's customers reside in the New York Metro Area and surrounding states- east coast, USA.

Heard about it on the news - but there's a lot of people who don't know better...Probably was one of Citybank's webdesigner's disgunted x- employees.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LTmaster said:
Heard about it on the news - but there's a lot of people who don't know better...Probably was one of Citybank's webdesigner's disgunted x- employees.

Actually, it's pretty widely believed (or known) that much of the phishing emails originate from eastern Europe and former soviet states. Just like a lot of the spyware/activex install stuff.

Nexus- We're better off without Sender ID. There are no magic bullets - big companies and consumers should stop looking for them. Everyone should use spf, especially if you run your own dns. Go to spf.pobox.com for more info.

idesic

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Getting them more then ever lately. Thanks for the links Nexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom