Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone have the new iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the new iPad with retina display and wondered if anyone had any reviews on it about it overheating? I am looking to have more of a portable solution for keeping track of domains, registering new ones, and managing web sites, so the iPad w/4G looks like a nice option. This will be more portable than a laptop yet have a larger screen that my iPhone. I have heard rumors of a smaller iPad coming out in a couple of months and perhaps a redesign of the regular sized one to correct the weight and overheating issues that are talked about in the web.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm using my iPad 3rd gen every day, sometimes for hours (especially in bed, watching TV/series/movies, browsing, working etc.) and the heat is not an issue at all. It gets slightly warmer than the iPad 2 (you can feel it on the bottom left side of the back) but it's not a problem at all.

I love that I can use Splashtop Remote Desktop and have my entire 1920x1080 desktop visible on screen and thanks to the incredible screen everything is sharp and fully readable. I got a Logitech bluetooth keyboard for it also, which eliminates the need of a laptop when I'm traveling. Go buy it now! :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ever since I purchased the ASUS Transformer, I have not used the iPad. Android is awesome. The transformer and my phone both AutoUpdate OS, now running Jelly Bean.

In fact, I gave my iPad away.

Now, I have two of the new Asus NEXUS 7 tablets en-route. Google announced shipping as of yesterday.

You should see what others are saying about the Nexus 7 including cnet.com, The Google Nexus 7 is Top Dog!

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ever since I purchased the ASUS Transformer, I have not used the iPad. Android is awesome. The transformer and my phone both AutoUpdate OS, now running Jelly Bean.

In fact, I gave my iPad away.

Now, I have two of the new Asus NEXUS 7 tablets en-route. Google announced shipping as of yesterday.

You should see what others are saying about the Nexus 7 including cnet.com, The Google Nexus 7 is Top Dog!

Sorry Doc, but Android sucks. :) I've had the Samsung Galaxy S2, even had the S3 for a few days and numerous HTC Android phones.. I always come back to iOS devices. The new Asus Transformer is a cool tablet, very powerful, but it will never replace my iPad.

I love Asus products though. Asus laptops, monitors, computer hardware. They make top quality stuff!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Problem with Android is that all my iOS apps I have purchased I would have to repurchase.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Problem with Android is that all my iOS apps I have purchased I would have to repurchase.
You'd be surprised how many are free. Yes, when you are in iOS you are indeed in a spider's web which is where Apple wants you...it must be part of iTunes to be downloaded. I hate such closed systems.

Honestly, you owe it to yourself to check the specs and what the experts have to say about the new Nexus 7. Powerful and clean. And a couple hundred less than the iPad.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does it have 4G Verizon LTE? My current iPad has Wifi, but I am looking for something to use on the go where no wifi signal is available.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how many are free. Yes, when you are in iOS you are indeed in a spider's web which is where Apple wants you...it must be part of iTunes to be downloaded. I hate such closed systems.

Honestly, you owe it to yourself to check the specs and what the experts have to say about the new Nexus 7. Powerful and clean. And a couple hundred less than the iPad.

I preordered. Mine shipped yesterday. Looking forward to it.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does it have 4G Verizon LTE? My current iPad has Wifi, but I am looking for something to use on the go where no wifi signal is available.

They are wifi only, would not work for you. Check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab if you want to go android with the LTE

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also have the new iPad. I didn't think I'd use it much but it's amazing for reading. I normally have a hard time reading on my laptop but am surprised to report that it's not nearly as harsh as a monitor. As one of the other posts mentioned its great for bringing movies with you and streams he video from the web without any issues. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Since when did this thread turn into a Asus and Android promotion? Oh yeah, since our resident KnowItAll made it one, For anyone who owns a Ipad 2 or 3, just give it or throw it away, it's useless, nothing can possible compare to Google Android :rolleyes:

Seems to me it's more about what company you like the most, or rather what company you hate.

Back on topic, I went to Best Buy and put the Ipad 2 next to the Ipad 3 to compare picture quality, what a drastic contrast it was... I remember comparing plasma TV's and I had to work hard at determining which had the better picture, not with this, it's like night and day. As far as it overheating, do you mean overheating to the point it shuts down? I never had an issue like that and I owned mine for a couple months and love it!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My phone is a WiFi hotspot. So that takes care of the connectivity issue.

As for Asus, Samsung, iPad, Android or Apple...the point is there are choices out there. Many choices. Making a smart decision and educating yourself prior to making that decision will hopefully save you time and grief and the always present, Gee, I wish I had bought the other one instead.

As for changing the "brand name" of the thread...well, when you put the two side by side (ie, Asus Transformer vs. Apple iPad) and use both, you end up developing a preference for which one you prefer over the other. And the Transformer has an optional docking station/keyboard that pretty much turns it into a notebook computer (and adds an additional 8 hours battery life).

Oh, to the contrary; the iPad was not thrown away but given to a colleague of mine. The gift was most appreciated and very welcomed.

The Nexus 7 specs are phenomenal (quad core, 1gb RAM, WiFi and Bluetooth).

And, the personal attacks and name calling is to be expected and is the norm. It borders on the pathetic and humorous.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I preordered. Mine shipped yesterday. Looking forward to it.
Pre-ordered two; one from Google and one from Newegg. Both 16gb.

Really dying to look at streaming movies on this thing. Working with graphics should be a delight as well with a quad core processor.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You might also want to look at the specs of the newly reported 7" iPad. I venture to say that it is more than just rumors now. I remember when the iPad was launched, Steve Jobs announced the 7 inch tablet is dead. Well, as much as he had control over all things Apple, he had no control over the onslaught of 7 inch tablets that continued to take away and cut into that same market segment Apple was trying to dominate. Most notably, Amazon kept releasing versions of the Kindle, B&N came out with the Nook, and Samsung and other makers kept tweaking and releasing those seven inch tablets. The primary market for this size are those who would prefer that smaller size over the table for reading. Now, with the rumors of a seven inch iPad coming out his fall it appears that Apple has capitulated and gave in to the demands of the consumers. Eventually, it may very well turn out to be a win-win for Apple by offering 2 products that appeals to a great populace. And, isn't the iPod Touch a smaller version of the iPad in some respects?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Highly preferred iPad than anything else.

@Gerry, I don't like Android handling security at the moment. They have a malicious codes from open source apps, twice this year. Maybe someday, I will use Android too.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with it overheating and have had it since the release. Between my wife and I we end up spending 6+ hours on it straight.. I mostly browse the internet and read but she plays games. I think if anyone would of had an issue it would have been us.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Highly preferred iPad than anything else.

@Gerry, I don't like Android handling security at the moment. They have a malicious codes from open source apps, twice this year. Maybe someday, I will use Android too.
I can definitely see where that would be an issue. That's why I only download apps I need and apps from their app store.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me remind you for those who can't read. This thread is about the Ipad and Internet Tablet.

All other posts will be deleted. If you can't read then go back and signup for a reading class.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You might want to wait until the new iPad and 7 inch iPad specs are released and confirmed. Rumors are that the new 7" iPad will also be priced around $250 to compete with the slew of other smaller format tablets. The new Asus Infinity tablet has resolution that you are likely not to see in any other tablet (at present). From what I understand, Asus and Android can not really call it retina(l) display due to TM issues but the tech junkies at cnet.com come pretty damn close to saying it.

If the 7" iPad excites me, I may opt for that as well. Sometimes things (apps) make all the difference in the world when it comes to business and productivity. Android has Expensify, TripLog, and a few other Android business applications that really POP off the phone and tablet. Apple has some incredible Medical apps that make it a contender in the clinic or hospital setting. Both (Android and Apple) have their place in multiple setting and multiple applications. It boils down to preferences of each. For everyday usage and personal stuff, I choose the Android tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom