Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone have the new iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just found :The iPad Mini: Why Now Is the Perfect Time for a Small Apple Tablet

If this thing comes out with the same resolution and priced aggressively, I'll be tripping over myself to get one.

You mean you would give up your Android tablet you so raved about and come back to the light side? ;)

They have been talking about it for months. It is coming out and should be priced at $299. Myself, I think 7 inches is too small and will stick to 10 inches.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mean you would give up your Android tablet you so raved about and come back to the light side? ;)
From the stand point of a photographers and an artist's tool, yes...provided the apps (only available from iTunes) have improved. There is a down side to this as well; what I see in high(er) resolution may not be what the viewer sees unless they are looking at the same resolution.

I would love to see this all speced out and anxious to see what MP camera it actually does sport. The smaller form factor is ideal for reading, studying, and compact enough to take anywhere. The 10" does equally well in this case but the success of the smaller tablets stems from book sales and something that seems more natural in size.
Myself, I think 7 inches is too small and will stick to 10 inches.
:pound:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This BLOWS everything out of the water! Absolute game changer. And clever!

This is a preview of the new Samsung 10.1 Note tablet. Say good-bye to a backpack full of books, notebooks, and the other junk. This is a must see video.

http://youtu.be/qbgBxr4H59A

Well, it's official. According to the folks at Samsung, the Galaxy Note 10.1, a tablet described as offering the "functionality and precision of a pen and paper," will be here by the end of the month.

The stylus-equipped Android device will have a 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera. The Galaxy Note 10.1 will also include features such as Samsung's Smart Stay, which tracks a user's eyes in order to make sure that the screen doesn't dim while you're using your mobile device.

There will be three versions of the Galaxy Note 10.1: Wi-Fi-only, Wi-Fi and 3G HSPA Plus, and Wi-Fi and LTE. Given the options, we are thinking that this may in fact replace the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but we've asked Samsung for specifics on the tablet line-up come this fall.

And did we mention that there's a stylus? Because Samsung really wants you to remember that there's a stylus:

Umm...you betcha! I'll be getting one of these as well.

By the way, the Nexus 7 is totally awesome and great size for reading.

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This BLOWS everything out of the water! Absolute game changer. And clever!

This is a preview of the new Samsung 10.1 Note tablet. Say good-bye to a backpack full of books, notebooks, and the other junk. This is a must see video.

http://youtu.be/qbgBxr4H59A

Well, it's official. According to the folks at Samsung, the Galaxy Note 10.1, a tablet described as offering the "functionality and precision of a pen and paper," will be here by the end of the month.

The stylus-equipped Android device will have a 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera. The Galaxy Note 10.1 will also include features such as Samsung's Smart Stay, which tracks a user's eyes in order to make sure that the screen doesn't dim while you're using your mobile device.

There will be three versions of the Galaxy Note 10.1: Wi-Fi-only, Wi-Fi and 3G HSPA Plus, and Wi-Fi and LTE. Given the options, we are thinking that this may in fact replace the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but we've asked Samsung for specifics on the tablet line-up come this fall.

And did we mention that there's a stylus? Because Samsung really wants you to remember that there's a stylus:

Umm...you betcha! I'll be getting one of these as well.

By the way, the Nexus 7 is totally awesome and great size for reading.

A huge problem with taking notes on a tablet, with a stylus, is that your palm will keep touching the screen. They should be able to avoid this easily though by disabling multi-touch when in a note/pen'n'paper application. I have a stylus with my iPad 3, but I never use it because of this issue. Also, only the slightest lag will really make note-taking a lot less enjoyable.

Looks exciting though. I like the multitasking, although a jailbreaked iPad can do the same. Also, it runs Android so it will be full of bugs, crashes and malware. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A huge problem with taking notes on a tablet, with a stylus, is that your palm will keep touching the screen. They should be able to avoid this easily though by disabling multi-touch when in a note/pen'n'paper application. I have a stylus with my iPad 3, but I never use it because of this issue. Also, only the slightest lag will really make note-taking a lot less enjoyable.

Looks exciting though. I like the multitasking, although a jailbreaked iPad can do the same. Also, it runs Android so it will be full of bugs, crashes and malware. ;)
I don't understand all this talk about bugs, crashes and malware. I have had the nexus one phone since day one, Asus transformer since day one, have the nexus 7 tablet, and soon the new nexus phone (only because the Tmobile lost tower rights nearby so no reception at the house). I have never had problems from the very moment these items arrived.

It is probably a given that this will happen with the new offerings from Microsoft.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2582...w_stylish_highperformance_android_tablet.html

This is the best one on the market!

I sold my iPad 3 and love this thing!

It actually has HDMI, USB ports, micro and regular SD card slots.

This is the baby to get and for alot less that the iPad you get alot more power.

.... and I had the iPad 1, 2 and 3 and this blows them away.

Adam
My sentiments exactly. With this thing, as you point out, there are options and expandable. By the way...have you had any issues with bugs, malware, or crashes? I have never experienced any such thing on any of my Android devices.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way...have you had any issues with bugs, malware, or crashes?

Bugs - if you use it in your backyard
Malware - if you use at the shopping mall
Crashes - if you drop it on the floor

I think the choice between Android and Ipad is very much personal preference. Not too many people use these devices all day long so they try to avoid the learning curve so if you have an Android phone - you are likely to pick the Android tablet instead of the Ipad (for Iphone users).

I don't have the need for the tablet too much so I don't really care even I have both the Samsung and Ipad 3.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with John. We have several iPhones and an iPad 1. I decided to get the iPad 3 just because all my previous apps I have purchased, I do not need to repurchase them. If I would have got an Android tablet, I would have to repurchase all my apps. So far I am happy with the iPad itself. I like the fact I can turn on the Verizon data plan and not have to worry about being around a Wifi hotspot. I use it all the time to do web site work and its nice to have when you can use the notepad app to sketch out ideas for clients. I will have to check the Android tablet, but to my knowledge they do not have a Verizon version.

One big drawback I see with the iPad 3 is the lack of USB/HDMI ports and a memory card slot. Apple has an adapter, but the USB I have read is only for importing pictures. But again it is not a laptop.

After they upgrade the iMac line later this fall, I am going to try out the remote desktop on the iPad.

@Adam - BTW the link you listed has a nice review. I did notice the iPad 3 scored higher than the Asus on several of the tests ;)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Adam - BTW the link you listed has a nice review. I did notice the iPad 3 scored higher than the Asus on several of the tests ;)

The summary also says this now takes 0over as the best Android Tablet.
I had the iPad 1, 2 and 3 and this Asus beats them all hands down, it's not even close and it's cheaper by 200-300$.

Ultraedit is better that Microsoft Word but nobody knows about it. ;)

Adam

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The summary also says this now takes 0over as the best Android Tablet.
I had the iPad 1, 2 and 3 and this Asus beats them all hands down, it's not even close and it's cheaper by 200-300$.

Ultraedit is better that Microsoft Word but nobody knows about it. ;)

Adam

Specs aside, the iPad 3 has the (by far) best screen, that allows me to utilize remote desktop to the fullest. Also it is uncomparable to other tablets when it comes to responsiveness and smoothness (yes, much more responsive than the Asus Transformer and other higher specced Android tablets).

I love Asus products though, but I think the Transformer is closer to an ultrabook than it is to a tablet.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love Asus products though, but I think the Transformer is closer to an ultrabook than it is to a tablet.
Certainly you can add the keyboard docking and utilize it as an ultrabook. Yet that is one of the attractive expandibility over the iPad. There are slots for USB, SD cards, dock also had additional charger, and other add ons. And the processors are typically faster.

Still, perhaps someone somewhere is reporting bugs, malware, and crashes. But I have yet to experience any of that on any of my android devices.

And, I am just not too keen on having to go to iTunes for everything. Just not a fan of "closed" systems. As for "rebuying" the apps...all apps that I purchase (or are free) are utilized across all the android devices as well.

Screen resolution...yes, it is nice to have higher resolution. All of this will come in time to all formats.

The new Samsung writing tablet...the concerns Stian expressed are valid (when it comes to handwriting) and I will try it out first. But utilizing the stylus I would imagine this tablet recognizes that stylus point and the point only, not the palm. To sit in class and take notes on this vs. paper is incredible and very much worth it from that aspect alone.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Certainly you can add the keyboard docking and utilize it as an ultrabook. Yet that is one of the attractive expandibility over the iPad. There are slots for USB, SD cards, dock also had additional charger, and other add ons. And the processors are typically faster.

Still, perhaps someone somewhere is reporting bugs, malware, and crashes. But I have yet to experience any of that on any of my android devices.

And, I am just not too keen on having to go to iTunes for everything. Just not a fan of "closed" systems. As for "rebuying" the apps...all apps that I purchase (or are free) are utilized across all the android devices as well.

Screen resolution...yes, it is nice to have higher resolution. All of this will come in time to all formats.

The new Samsung writing tablet...the concerns Stian expressed are valid (when it comes to handwriting) and I will try it out first. But utilizing the stylus I would imagine this tablet recognizes that stylus point and the point only, not the palm. To sit in class and take notes on this vs. paper is incredible and very much worth it from that aspect alone.

If you can't use it with your fingers then all of a sudden we are back to the late 90's early 2000's stylus devices. :) My guess is that "palming" will be a problem and that apps will start showing up that disables multi-touch.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You CAN use your fingers. When we take notes, we don't typically dip our finger in ink and write with it. We use some type of apparatus.

That is what the stylus is for.

As for fingers, yes...those work very well with many of the artist's apps. Use your finger like a brush, countless brush tips, etc.

Palming I do not believe is going to be an issue at it is not an issue with their 7 inch note tablet. Plus, I have a feeling they have already addressed that issue.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You CAN use your fingers. When we take notes, we don't typically dip our finger in ink and write with it. We use some type of apparatus.

That is what the stylus is for.

As for fingers, yes...those work very well with many of the artist's apps. Use your finger like a brush, countless brush tips, etc.

Palming I do not believe is going to be an issue at it is not an issue with their 7 inch note tablet. Plus, I have a feeling they have already addressed that issue.

Well, on a 10" tablet, when you are typing on the left side of the screen you will touch the screen with your palm (unless you have a very weird way of writing with a pen).

Anyways.. I'm a tech geek and I've tried every tablet on the market. I always fall back to the iPad, simply because it's the fastest, most responsive and with the highest quality of apps.

The only thing I could think of using an Android tablet for would be gaming (emulators mostly, as I'm a retro gaming dude) because of the USB-ports. But then again, there's a couple of really nice wireless gamepads in the works for iOS devices also, so .. yeah .. well .. I can't see a single reason why one would pick Android over iOS. No hating, just my 2 cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom