Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Are the members now required to show they are online & some deleted posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless my memory is failing, in the past members always had the option of not showing they are online. If so, they would show as a guest if I recall correctly. That is routinely allowed at other forums too.

I always used that option (and was never shown as being online before as far as I recall) as I saw no need to indicate I was online, especially since I do not do chat.

Now there seems to be no actual members counted as guests anymore (at least when I looked the last few times), and I am now shown as being online. I went to change the setting and can't find the option anywhere. Is this a change Gregr has made, requiring everyone to reveal they are online now?

Also, a recent post of mine was deleted (perhaps edited is a better word to use), even though as far as I know the post did NOT violate any of the posting policies in any way. It was deleted (or edited) with no notice or explanation given. Another members post which contained my quote was also deleted.

I really do not believe member posts whould be deleted without notice and also with no apparent violation of the forum rules. That post deletion (editing by removing most of the post content) is one of the reasons I reduced my postings here.

Upvote 0
M

mole

Dang, you are right. I can see my name on the online list now :eek:

Bring Dan back!

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi RealNames. Greg will have to answer the question about being able to surf unseen--as a guest.

As far as your post being deleted--if you will tell me what thread it was located in--I will look into it--and get you a prompt answer. Remember though--in the case of an entire thread being deleted--all the posts contained within would be gone. Let me know which thread it was--and I will look into it right away.

Thanks.

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a few posts (or post--can't remember) in a thread edited a while ago. I PMed Andrew and never got a response. A little weird, since the posts didn't contain anything in particular.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
O.C.--I have not deleted or edited any of your posts. I'm sure whoever did--felt they had a good reason--or maybe it could have even been a mistake.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper Hi RealNames. Greg will have to answer the question about being able to surf unseen--as a guest. As far as your post being deleted--if you will tell me what thread it was located in--I will look into it--and get you a prompt answer. Remember though--in the case of an entire thread being deleted--all the posts contained within would be gone. Let me know which thread it was--and I will look into it right away. Thanks.

Could not locate the deleted (edited) posts or the thread today, though I saw them a few days ago. Whoever removed it even put a smiley face at the place where the deletion was made. I did not think that was very humorous :rolleyes:

The main issues of the post were deleted (edited), except the last sentence which was not deleted and was about a different issue.

Does the fact content was deleted make it now hard to find? Perhaps the entire thread was deleted too.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Real--yes it's possible that an entire thread got deleted.

For example--we recently had a thread pertaining to a certain major software company name--where an individual had registered a name--asked for opinions--and then realized that he could be seen as cybersquatting. That individual contacted us--and requested that we delete his thread--and we honored his request.

I noticed that before you started this thread--you had not posted in quite some time--about 10 days ago. That was about the time when all the ownership stuff was going on--and there was a lot of crap and accusations being flung about. While I was not involved as a moderator yet at that time--I am aware of your personal involvement in that issue--so it doesn't surprise me that some of yours(and other people's) comments would have been edited or deleted.

If you have any more questions--please feel free....

P

prasit

nameproper,

you're an excellent mod. :)

keep up your good work

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper Real--yes it's possible that an entire thread got deleted. For example--we recently had a thread pertaining to a certain major software company name--where an individual had registered a name--asked for opinions--and then realized that he could be seen as cybersquatting. That individual contacted us--and requested that we delete his thread--and we honored his request. I noticed that before you started this thread--you had not posted in quite some time--about 10 days ago. That was about the time when all the ownership stuff was going on--and there was a lot of crap and accusations being flung about. While I was not involved as a moderator yet at that time--I am aware of your personal involvement in that issue--so it doesn't surprise me that some of yours(and other people's) comments would have been edited or deleted. If you have any more questions--please feel free....

Yes, but the post editing of my post and deletion of another members post (which contained my quote) does in fact surprise me, though you said it does not suprise you.

Reason, unless there is a violation of the forum posting rules, posts must not be edited or deleted. I know for sure the editing done did not violate the rules, that's one of the reasons I stopped posting here for the last 10 days or so.

At the time of Mod editing and for a few days thereafter, most of the post was edited-out but the last sentence was left intact, now it seems the entire post is strangely gone. I spent ages looking for the 2 edited posts it but seems to not be there anymore.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Prasit--thank you very much for the kind words. :)

RealNames--I am working as hard as I can to answer quickly--completely--and friendly. That stuff happened before I became a mod. If it's gone--it's gone. I can't turn back time and change what happened 10 days ago. If I could--there would be about 20 less crappy names in my portfolio.

If you have any more questions--please feel free....

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read the "software" thread. I think that although editing was fine for obvious legal reasons, the thread had a good lesson there so others would not make the same mistakes.

I also think that in most cases you should not edit part of a post as leaving the remaining part MAY credit or discredit the writer with a meaning not intended.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper Prasit--thank you very much for the kind words. :) RealNames--I am working as hard as I can to answer quickly--completely--and friendly. That stuff happened before I became a mod. If it's gone--it's gone. I can't turn back time and change what happened 10 days ago. If I could--there would be about 20 less crappy names in my portfolio. If you have any more questions--please feel free....

Same here, if I could turn back time instead of 20 bad names being gone I would have hundreds!

Don't bother to work on it anymore, forget about it, no need to work harder on it. A few others have also complained about posts being deleted or edited without apparent cause.

P.S. You were not here then, I think either Dan or Gregr was the only Mod at the time this happened.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Winfree--for the record--it was not my call. I do agree with it however--and fully support the person who deleted it. The reason-->because the person who started the thread asked for it to be deleted. That's the bottom line. I do understand your point about a lesson being learned from registering names like that--but in this instance--the person who started the thread--and had his name on the line--felt strongly about his regrets--and we have to respect his wishes. We would do the same for any member here.

RealNames--Thanks for understanding--and chillin.

Now--lets go sell some names everybody. Good luck. :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the record--we have not received any other complaints about posts being deleted--outside of this thread.
I only point this out because I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea.

On the other hand--we have received many "thumbs up" & "kudos" regarding the way we give people a fair chance to voice their opinions--without having us be heavy handed in the way we run the forum.

Greg has been very liberal & fair--and has given us the lead to follow. I am proud to work for him--and I am giving this job 100% of my effort. Our doors are always open.

Have a great day everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators