Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

BuyDomains - Out of control pricing now

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to buy from BuyDomains all the time, however in the past few months their prices have been outrageous. I was sent a list for a particular name with a price of $1488. When I went to ask if that price could be brought down to $1088, I received absolutely no response and the next day it was listed at $20,000. Unbelievable!

I also have been thinking of purchasing a second particular name which they have had for sale for about 1 1/2 years now at a list price of $1088. I just checked today and suddently they marked up the price to $10,000. Their pricing makes no sense in many cases and has been unneccesarily higher than it needs to be. I enjoyed buying from them in the past when their prices were actually "fair". Now their pricing tactics just anger me to the point that I'll look for names to purchase elsewhere. Anyone else noticing the same with them?

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They're using PPC parking now so are realising the value of the traffic

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
I used to buy from BuyDomains all the time, however in the past few months their prices have been outrageous. I was sent a list for a particular name with a price of $1488. When I went to ask if that price could be brought down to $1088, I received absolutely no response and the next day it was listed at $20,000. Unbelievable!

I also have been thinking of purchasing a second particular name which they have had for sale for about 1 1/2 years now at a list price of $1088. I just checked today and suddently they marked up the price to $10,000. Their pricing makes no sense in many cases and has been unneccesarily higher than it needs to be. I enjoyed buying from them in the past when their prices were actually "fair". Now their pricing tactics just anger me to the point that I'll look for names to purchase elsewhere. Anyone else noticing the same with them?

They do have to realize that certain buyers won't pay that type of money.
Many of these names will sit there and never be sold. Many of the time spoecific domain names and event related domain names have a limited time span, yet the sellers ask to high a price and get nothing in the end.

Names like election 2004.com have very little market appeal now.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you see their pricing as a recent problem???

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't we all have the right to ask what we want for a name?

And, apparently, they decided that they were leaving money on the table.

Or, maybe, Michael Mann is building a new house in the Wash.,DC suburbs.
And, the sticker shock of a new house made him spread the joy of excessive pricing
to the domain industry. :-D

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Don't we all have the right to ask what we want for a name?

Of course we do. We also have the right to complain about people who we think are being greedy.

:)

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see why any domainer would complain. If the holder of one of the largest portfolios in the biz wants to price them highly it makes it easier for the rest of use to price our domains highly, or to price them lower and sell more.

The only complainers about buydomains prices should be end users, and they can then come to us for better value.

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are at least a couple of regular DNForum users who also price their domains ridiculously high [even if for end user pricing, let alone reseller], despite 99% of very similar domains being 5-10 times cheaper. Very annoying, but what are you gonna do....?

gph

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple names take a jump in price there too. Hey. Prices have increased across the board, at all the drop catchers, sedo , afternic. THis is a game of supply and demand. Demand is high, supply is shrinking, specifically in the .com arena. Its well documented, the industry has seen a rebound, and this time theres not much of a bubble to pop. People are bidding 3 and 4k for names with NO OVERTURE, no traffic. And then dummies like me are selling names like Jamster.com for $250 to jaugernauts like verisign (unwiitingly). Think of it as a poker game. Buydomains has a very good hand and can raise you to thier hearts content. If you cant afford to stay in the game, then you might want to try another venue. One thing for sure. I dont think they are bluffing.
The depressed market is gone because the masses are aware of prices at auction houses etc.. there is a lot of money being spent these days. And the kicker. Most of the buyers used to be sellers. Not anymore. Too much easy money in PPC .

smoothlime

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you have an email address where BuyDomains can be contacted?

I can't find a link to contact them and bargain about one of their domains.

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NexSite said:
I noticed a couple names take a jump in price there too. Hey. Prices have increased across the board, at all the drop catchers, sedo , afternic. THis is a game of supply and demand. Demand is high, supply is shrinking, specifically in the .com arena. Its well documented, the industry has seen a rebound, and this time theres not much of a bubble to pop. People are bidding 3 and 4k for names with NO OVERTURE, no traffic. And then dummies like me are selling names like Jamster.com for $250 to jaugernauts like verisign (unwiitingly). Think of it as a poker game. Buydomains has a very good hand and can raise you to thier hearts content. If you cant afford to stay in the game, then you might want to try another venue. One thing for sure. I dont think they are bluffing.
The depressed market is gone because the masses are aware of prices at auction houses etc.. there is a lot of money being spent these days. And the kicker. Most of the buyers used to be sellers. Not anymore. Too much easy money in PPC .

I got a quote for a forum.com type of name for $35,000. At that point I registered the .us version for 6.95

I have seen some sellers turn down Fifty thousand insisting that one hundred thousand be paid. Well one of the few endusers that could buy this name, went with totally different name and has spent money branding that name.

Now the seller's one potential customer may never buy the name.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I guess this complaint has turned into quite a meaningful discussion. I buy more than I sell which is one of the reasons I'm so upset at getting quoted a price from buydomains, only to have them immediately up the price from $1k to $20k. Obviously that would turn any buyer off, but they are names they probably didn't want to sell once they took a look at their stats. They were solid, generic, PPC earners. While I don't agree with such tactics, their overall increases in price can definitely be seen as a positive sign for anyone with existing portfolios of valuable names. Bad for buyers, good for sellers.

M

mole

NameYourself said:
Obviously that would turn any buyer off, but they are names they probably didn't want to sell once they took a look at their stats. They were solid, generic, PPC earners.

Yes. All they need to do is to look at their stats and PPC click throughs and realise the worth of any name. It follows that they can also see the crap traffic and worthlessness that many of their high priced names have. I guess it cuts both ways.

smoothlime

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thx

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The bottom line is: you want it bad? you pay for it.
I've seen some ridiculous sales for under $10 - we need to stash all those junknames in a separate forum. Domain selling is a serious business. Yes, Buy "F" Domains might have gotten a bit greedy but they have a nice portfolio of domains. They did give a 15% off the price till 12/31 though, so take advantage of it.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with them for many years, and still do so. I still get lots of great deals from them. I'm sure we all have some domains that we think are worth more than what others may think they are worth. Complaining about it isn't going to lower the prices tho....

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Um, gee guys. If you think BD didn't know about the traffic before I think you need to wake up.. They arent raising there prices because they just discovered that a certain name is getting traffic. they are certailnly leveraging ppc. But they knew who was clicking on what before. They are just responding to the market. A $1000 name a year ago is commanding maybe 10 times that. The public knowledge is there now where it wasn't before. There are more players with more money, more willingness, more evidence, and less sellers of quality "traffic" urls. Even the dumbest newcomer knows by now that TRAFFIC is the key, first and formost. But, a good .com name, with no traffic and branding possibilites, is soon going to get much more respect, because that market is drying up too. Im talking .com here. I know there have been some great info sales, but the com market is expereincing a quantum effect as far as values go. My hunch is this. Like in the U.S. , the richest 2% own some 50% of the wealth ( or something like that). This will be that same with the .com namespace, if it isn't already.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NexSite said:
Um, gee guys. If you think BD didn't know about the traffic before I think you need to wake up.. They arent raising there prices because they just discovered that a certain name is getting traffic. they are certailnly leveraging ppc. But they knew who was clicking on what before. They are just responding to the market. A $1000 name a year ago is commanding maybe 10 times that. The public knowledge is there now where it wasn't before. There are more players with more money, more willingness, more evidence, and less sellers of quality "traffic" urls. Even the dumbest newcomer knows by now that TRAFFIC is the key, first and formost. But, a good .com name, with no traffic and branding possibilites, is soon going to get much more respect, because that market is drying up too. Im talking .com here. I know there have been some great info sales, but the com market is expereincing a quantum effect as far as values go. My hunch is this. Like in the U.S. , the richest 2% own some 50% of the wealth ( or something like that). This will be that same with the .com namespace, if it isn't already.

good post :eek:k:

M

mole

NexSite said:
But, a good .com name, with no traffic and branding possibilites, is soon going to get much more respect, because that market is drying up too.

What do you mean by "drying up"? Millions of the best or brandable .coms are still there sitting on PPCs waiting for buyers. If you say that branding is all there is to .com, then one can brand anything with the right money eg geezertopper.com, and where acquiring these sort of names at reg fee are concerned, the possibilities are infinite. For every 1 name sold at the "right" or "asking" price beyond $1k, thousands go neglected and silently wait for renewal next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom