Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

BuyDomains - Out of control pricing now

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a very good point.
There's domains that earned zilch and sold for over six figures just because of the brandability potential.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
crazy buger :laugh:

Hey, my Christmas present from BD just arrived in my eNom account :-D I took the 15% off Christmas offer, which was $300 off. BD ain't that bad really.

Indeed, the best time to request a price is right before the holidays. I have recieved discounts on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Never any huge cuts, but still cuts nonetheless ;0)

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me point out another thing. From what I see, if there are so many people intrested in purchasing names from buydomains, then why not form a small group contact someone at higher level at buydomains and setup some sort of deal. That way you possibly can get good deals. Not to mention, if john doe wants a name, he can possibly contact you to get a better deal from buydomains.

Just a thought. I see forum as a community but have yet to really see anything where people are working as a group to accomplish something to better assist the fellow members. Oh well

M

mole

adill420 said:
From what I see, if there are so many people intrested in purchasing names from buydomains

Interest is one thing. Having the mullahs to buy the friggin name is another. Their prices are no joke, at least for my poor wallet. And the rich don't need volume deals, they just buy. :dead:

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best way to purchase from BuyDomains is exactly the way they want to be perceived......it's by simply going to their website and entering your credit card and buying the site in realtime. They do not not want to bargain and they will eventually get what they ask for maybe more. Why? Because they can. The same is true about you and I if we own a website someone wants. If it's a .COM then that means there is only one. It's much wiser to buy up names now rather than to wait years down the road. Why do you think Spinx is currently buying up land at intersections?

M

mole

clemzonguy said:
The best way to purchase from BuyDomains is exactly the way they want to be perceived......it's by simply going to their website and entering your credit card and buying the site in realtime.

You must have a really huge credit card limit. :cheesy:

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my problem with BD is that after they changed their format to the PPC stuff, their sites attempt to load adware and spyware ob every site they own!!!

This of course happens only in explorer, which I dont use too often.

Just try it. Go with explorer to a BD site and then do a check with a good anti spyware/adware program. (it takes a few sconds to what looks like a small window is loading something)
as to why they are doing that, i dont know.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NexSite said:
And then dummies like me are selling names like Jamster.com for $250 to jaugernauts like verisign (unwiitingly).

What, did they put a gun to your head?

Stop kicking yourself. Without the branding the name had little or no value. You got a fair price. If you hadn't sold they would have just gotten a similar name and advertised the heck out of it instead.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
What, did they put a gun to your head?

Stop kicking yourself. Without the branding the name had little or no value. You got a fair price. If you hadn't sold they would have just gotten a similar name and advertised the heck out of it instead.

Although that's comforting to say to a fellow board member, you cannot be 100% sure of this.
It's possible and quite likely Verisign had their sights and budget set much higher.
Unless you know facts that we don't.

And that's where BuyDomains comes in with their "out of control pricing".
They could have made more all along.
They left a lot of money on the table in the past with thier pricing.
And I say that as a customer of BuyDomains, I know for a fact that buyers were willing to spend more than their published prices.
Their pricing is only a sign of the times, but you know what - they still leave money on the table in at least some and possibly a lot of transactions.

M

mole

MediaHound said:
And I say that as a customer of BuyDomains, I know for a fact that buyers were willing to spend more than their published prices.

The worth of a domain is only as good as what a buyer is willing to pay. It could be $50, it could be $500m.

Many names just don't get the kind of traffic you would think. I bought a name from them over a month ago for just under $2k, and to date, it hasn't even got 1 hit. :angry: For most names, and for those even with traffic, it's all about development, and that's were the real costs are, which can run in the millions per name (see recent $1m sale of 1,117 names and the wipo background http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-1110.html )

Sure, there will be names that do, so go charge those buyers $100k for them.

I think there is a fine balance between business turnover and sitting on names till the day .INFO and .BIZ and other tlds become the extension of reasoned acceptance by businesses who no longer think they want to be held hostage to ridiculous pricing from old world extensions.

BD has as a policy always sold to end-users and already has raised many of their prices by 100-500% in the recent year. How high further do you think they should go?

You can chose to be greedy and wait for a buyer at your price till you get stroke and die ten years from now, or you could set reasonable prices (not cheap) which may encourage some sales, not get the buyer running out of the door in shell shock.

There is a BIG difference between speculative greed and pragmatism.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good post mole.

I don't know what made me think moles were blind!

I was just doing some rough calculations for a domain that someone was thinking of selling that would have a future value in about 20 years, but not all that much now.

He could sit on for 20 years, and maybe sell it for $10,000, or he could maybe sell it now, for say, $500, keep reinvesting that in domains, and his money would probably increase by a minimum of 20% per year, which would give him $134,447 in 20 years time (not in today's money of course), if I'm not mistaken (and I probably am!).

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll bet Buydomains.com appreciates all the advice they are getting from this and other threads like it. I'm sure it's this kind of input, over the years, that has made them what they are today!

Shaun

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just looked at a domain I was considering purchasing maybe 1-2 months ago from them.
The price went from $1288 to $26000 USD.
That's a little crazy :D

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I was considering MoneyGrants.com last month when it was at $1088, now its $10,000 :(

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adill420 said:
Could there be a possibility that BuyDomains increases their price after say certain amount of people contact them for a specific domain? I think that might be a possibility.

I've always feared this. This is one reason I do not visit domains that I wish to purchase, or if I do, make a point to go only once. A spike in their traffic may tip the scale towards raising the price, or running a harder bargain.

adill420 said:
Let me point out another thing. From what I see, if there are so many people intrested in purchasing names from buydomains, then why not form a small group contact someone at higher level at buydomains and setup some sort of deal. That way you possibly can get good deals.

I see forum as a community but have yet to really see anything where people are working as a group to accomplish something to better assist the fellow members. Oh well

That's one thing about this forum -- no organization or fraternity. I can't see your idea working. It's almost like the mob. We work together when we each independently perceive that we are taking advantage of the other -- but when it boils down to cooperation, I've seen little to none. In the end, we all fear being knifed in the back or gunned down by our fellow domainer while putting up a façade of cooperation.

Case in point -- a more structured union could easily leverage our collective power to take down Pool's and their unethical bidding system by running a private lottery for their domains, and refusing to bid in blind auctions. But we could never pull this off because some hotshot would snipe all the auctions. Just one example.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$200 000 for soulseek.com ! its nice domain, but $200k

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Folks who snooze often lose out.

If one seeks to buy a particular domain(s), they need to be ready to move and close the deal - one should not assume the price can be negotiated lower; negotiating a price isn't always beneficial when dealing with a seller with no real incentive to sell - they'll likely just raise the price ... appears exactly what BuyDomains is often doing - I've personally bought a few domains from them with no problems, but I know better to push my luck in regards to negotiations, since I have no leverage (I only buy like one or two domains at a time from them) and thus the ask price is likely to only go up unless I close the deal right then and there.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom