Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Cashing in on VA Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ahh... news about news. This shooting can keep the talking heads going for months on end. You think ABC is going to put on a talking headshrinker that says it's no big deal?

I'll admit that I get my information from my wife who has completed her Ph.d. coursework and clinical experience in psychology, but I'll believe her long before I believe some guy on ABC that said what the booker wanted. ABC has a vested interest in peeing on another network, and I can't believe anyone is so naive as not to see that.

I'll be the first to admit corporate news has an agenda. I also agree that these videos gave no insight what so ever to who this person actually was. The people around him have already stated he was a quiet, soft spoken guy that kept to himself. Not the bad ass I'm going to "F" you up, psycho he wanted to world to think he was. As far as anyone using this as motivation to start more killing guess will see won't we.

About your earlier comments on "mein kampf" people still do use this as their bible, which is why the term "neo-nazi" is in our vocabulary. There are still hate crimes brought out on homosexuals and jews from what Hitler has said and done. Imagine if we had youtube back then to give him a platform to talk to even more people at a much faster pace.

Britney Spears. Someone strung out on drugs, stressed out from a divorce and the media and doing something irrational like shaving their head is hardly what a psychiatrist would call "psychotic"

The suggestion that domain names are anywhere near the "heart of this thing" in the comment above is a clear indication that someone is thinking about domain names too much.

This I do agree with.

Step away from the keyboard, get some fresh air. It's lovely weather we're having here in the northeast US anyway.

Wish I could pouring like crazy here.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About your earlier comments on "mein kampf" people still do use this as their bible, which is why the term "neo-nazi" is in our vocabulary. There are still hate crimes brought out on homosexuals and jews from what Hitler has said and done. Imagine if we had youtube back then to give him a platform to talk to even more people at a much faster pace.

And away we go... Crazy people... dangerous ideas... must protect the public from exposure to ideas, words, images that will make them crazy too.

Fine - as long as I get put in charge of deciding what people will be allowed to see or not see. All them there Muslim jihadi videos and websites go first. Then we'll take out the Zionist-influenced media, and then... hey... you want to see a crazy man on TV spreading mind poison? Check out Pat Robertson's 700 Club sometime. As far as using Mein Kampf as a Bible... heck boss... some of the people using the Bible as their bible are not screwed all that tightly either.

Don't believe me? What did Jim Jones use as his bible to take 909 of his followers to their deaths. Oh, and, whaddya know, someone is "cashing in" on http://www.peoplestemple.com/ in order to sell books about brainwashing.

Media for a mentally healthier world... I'm down with that.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And away we go... Crazy people... dangerous ideas... must protect the public from exposure to ideas, words, images that will make them crazy too.

Fine - as long as I get put in charge of deciding what people will be allowed to see or not see. All them there Muslim jihadi videos and websites go first. Then we'll take out the Zionist-influenced media, and then... hey... you want to see a crazy man on TV spreading mind poison? Check out Pat Robertson's 700 Club sometime.

Media for a mentally healthier world... I'm down with that.

Nah, I'm all for freedom of speech. Don't think Mein Kampf should be outlawed. I don't think what anyone says should be outlawed. But to suggest that people aren't swayed by those or what is around them to me is crazy.

Does any of this get to the bottom of why killers do what they do? Nope.
Guess we are still waiting for a definite answer on what psychosis actually is and what causes it.

But mental illness is the most prevalent of all diseases and yet it's the least funded. Go figure that they are having a hard time getting to the bottom of it. And helping those that actually need it.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But mental illness is the most prevalent of all diseases and yet it's the least funded. Go figure that they are having a hard time getting to the bottom of it. And helping those that actually need it.

Amen to that.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not to fear, though, Newt Gingrich has figured out exactly who is responsible for this tragedy. No surprises here - it's the liberals

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/04/22/newt-gingrich-blames-liberalism-on-va-tech-massacre/

Leave it to a Liberal to turn this into a Liberal vs Republican issue, fact is its neither, not to too difficult to find a Liberal site bashing a Republican, there all over the place, they tried to blame the NRA, but that did'nt work, what next? George Bush did it?.

Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a Liberal site bashing a Republican

"Quoting" is not bashing. Newt speaks for himself in the video.

The larger point is about "blame" for tragedies. Take 9/11. To Jerry Falwell it was caused by "lesbians". To anti-semites, it's "the Jews did it." To far left nuts, it's "an inside job pulled off by neo-cons".

On this incident, over at freerepublic.com it's "immigration policy", "violent video games" and so forth. At democraticunderground, it's "gun control" and, I kid you not, toleration of "violence against women" because the first victim was female.

Me personally? It was an obvious psychotic engaging in his psychosis. It's not a political issue, nor is it a "problem" with a political solution. Crazy people have been doing crazy things for a long time. Anyone determined to engage in mass violence without regard to his or her own life is not going to be prevented from doing so by any means to which society is generally going to submit. It's a big country with a lot of people and it is statistically inevitable that there are always going to be dangerously sick minds.

Obligatory OT content:

Domain charlesmanson.com:
Record created on: 1998-01-17 05:00:00 UTC

Domain: SIRHANSIRHAN.COM
Created: 2003-03-14

Domain name: leeharveyoswald.com
Creation date: 08 Aug 2001 10:57:18 (the Dallas address is poignant here)

Domain Name: jacktheripper.com
Creation Date: 1997-03-19 05:00:00 UTC

Domain name: MARKDAVIDCHAPMAN.COM
Record created on 20-Jan-2006.

Domain name: mumiaabujamal.com
Creation date: 11 Apr 2005 18:55:44

Okay, now these domains have been around for YEARS and I've never heard anyone going on like this about them. The JFK murder is itself something of a mini-industry, largely because a significant portion of the public does not believe that there was enough openness in the investigation of that event.

(And if you have to know, I personally believe that Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, fired three shots from the Texas Schoolbook Depository using the Mannlicher Carcano rifle he purchased via mail order. One shot hit JFK in the throat and injured Gov. Connally, one shot missed and hit the pavement, and the third shot hit JFK in the rear occipital region of the cranium. I also firmly believe that Mumia Abu Jamal is solely responsible for the murder of Philadelphia police officer Danny Faulkner.)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These comments are not directed at any one person but simply a reflection on this thread and countless others on many forums and blogs, and media outlets.

The argument of free speech and the news can do this and the news can do that is weak, old, and played out way too long now. They're profiting, he's profiting, she's profiting and I want my piece of the pie.

That is the perception that many domainers have of the event. The reality is we, as domainers and as part of the domain industry, are currently getting and are getting ready to get royally raked over the coals more than you care to realize.

The very news media that many in this thread are bashing for whatever reason is the same news media that are making all domainers and the domain industry as a whole look like a bunch of insensitive asses.

Yes, even that may be a another perception. But the reality is that is how it is being played out on every major network, internet news agency, magazine, and blog. The reality is regardless of you, your, my, mine, our, we, or collective perception...that is how the overwhelming majority of every living soul out there that does not hear or read our words or comments view this fiasco of domain names registered to feature a catastrophic event.

No one is reading or taking into account these hollow words about the rights of domainers other than the very domainers on these forums. And most of them are not even tuned into this circus thread.

If we want to blame the news media, then damn well blame the news media.

Turn the tables on them.

Here is something I did yesterday:

MSNBC and Newsweek had an online tribute site to the slain students.

Here is what I saw.

BLAST AWAY HIGH CHOLESTEROL: 67 Points in 28 days.
Best Buy
Alzheimers
Lockheed Martin
• Get tips on monitoring your credit. Learn more.
• Report - "Miracle cures" were kept from you.
Dermitage…less wrinkles in 10 minutes
Fedex
Geico
TakeMeFishing.org
INGdirect
FedEx/Kinkos

Seven pages all with ads. Look at this crap. I am going to see what in the hell is on sale at best buy while discovering the lives of these folks. Wait, I am going to take a break and rush out to kinkos, then I'll come back and finish the article.

My favorite? BLAST AWAY HIGH CHOLESTEROL. How insensitive can that be taken?. There you go. Search engines matching up keywords.

You want to bitch about the media? How about bitching at the media.

If every person on this thread would take a moment to find a similar tribute site and send them a note saying something to the effect of:

It would be more respectful for the site to remove all ads and forego the revenue when presenting a tribute rather than fill seven pages with ads, have to dodge around boxes in the flow of the story, and being bothered by annoying flash mode ads while I am trying to read the story.

Whether you, me, we agree on the morality or not is no longer the real issue. The issue is the damage the domain industry has suffered. Don't kid yourself for a moment that this will blow away. You have federal agencies investigated all angles of this tragedy and politicians running for office who will not let this blow away.

So put your energies to use, whether you agree that it is morally acceptable or not, and contact the very media we are all talking about and let them know how you feel. In other words, make the media into a story.

Trust me, we (domain industry) are in the massive minority. For all the bitching and whining about sales and the talk that we need more people to learn about domaining and we need more publicity...

...we've got it.

Now deal with it.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me personally? It was an obvious psychotic engaging in his psychosis. It's not a political issue, nor is it a "problem" with a political solution. Crazy people have been doing crazy things for a long time. Anyone determined to engage in mass violence without regard to his or her own life is not going to be prevented from doing so by any means to which society is generally going to submit. It's a big country with a lot of people and it is statistically inevitable that there are always going to be dangerously sick minds.

I just hope out of all this. The money that VT is getting from donations. That the spotlight gets put in the right spot. "Mental Illness." Instead of all of this finger pointing and blame that the news, talk show hosts, people in general are doing that we finally wake up and say "Hey you know what, maybe we need to find answers to this? Maybe there is a real cause and solution to all of this madness called mental illness."

I really thought after that guy with Manic-Depression got shot down by homeland security a while back after he ran through the airport 'cause he was off his meds that people would wake up.

Let's demonize him, instead of his actions. Let's call him Satan's spawn. Instead of a sick individual that needed professional help.

Let's put the direction on domainers, lets put the light on the news, lets lay blame to the school. How many more of these are we going to just sit through?

How much more murder, death, tragedy is it going to take before we get to the point of wanting to fund mental health centers and research so we don't have to have another one of these episodes?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now, I'm sure someone is going to make me out to be a callous SOB, but I'm curious about why generally well-to-do families need donations. Yes, I understand that is a generalization that is not true in every circumstance, but generally speaking the average VA Tech parent isn't exactly living in a FEMA trailer in Louisiana.

I've found the donation thing less than intuitive as well. Similar to the Red Cross blood drive pleadings after 9-11. Who the f*** needed blood after 9-11? I donate money to lots of things. This one doesn't make sense to me. That's not what the victims families need from us.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Similar to the Red Cross blood drive pleadings after 9-11. Who the f*** needed blood after 9-11?

Many people don't realize that the Red Cross has a for-profit component. Don't get me started on their "please donate blood" thing. (I participate in a private blood bank, and have credit for gallons of it).

And with that, the 187.com udrp response is now filed. Thanks for helping to keep me up late, y'all.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Pardon my joke John - you do know I have the utmost respect for you - a lawyer that gives blood is something truly extraordinary :D :D :D

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've found the donation thing less than intuitive as well. Similar to the Red Cross blood drive pleadings after 9-11. Who the f*** needed blood after 9-11?

Probably the press corp. In the news line while fighting for the best shots of people jumping to their deaths out of the burning buildings someone slipped and fell on some debris then was trampled by the rest of them.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I fully agree with this statement, however the domain comparisons are another story, your citing age old murders, the families of the victims either do not exist or have long recovered from losing there loved ones....I think respect for the grieving families is the issue here.

The State of Virginia failed to report the killers mental records to NICS, its not clear yet as to why they didn't report it, when most other states do including California....It appears that medical privacy concerns may of played a major role in this, am I wrong for suggesting that? If it was reported to NICS, it would of came up in the system and the gun sale would of been declined, tipping off the Police in the process.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It appears that medical privacy concerns may of played a major role in this, am I wrong for suggesting that? If it was reported to NICS, it would of came up in the system and the gun sale would of been declined, tipping off the Police in the process.

Yup. Seems like a Catch-22 disconnect between competing policies on handling mental health data relevant to NICS.

a lawyer that gives blood is something truly extraordinary

I didn't tell you where I got the blood from.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with this statement, however the domain comparisons are another story, your citing age old murders, the families of the victims either do not exist or have long recovered from losing there loved ones....I think respect for the grieving families is the issue here.

I think we could all agree that putting some time behind a tragedy before trying to cash in would be a "proper and decent" thing to do.

I think we could also agree that just ain't gonna happen in the technology and communications fueled fast-pace that we live in today. Anyone who is going to try to profit is going to have to do it rather quickly.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So is it an ethical problem or a practical problem utilizing/monetizing such domains? It seems interesting that while the registrars had no problem registering those domains (unlike a few years back when all F* etc words were banned) advertising venues and PPC companies refused to monetize their purely type-in traffic.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems interesting that while the registrars had no problem registering those domains (unlike a few years back when all F* etc words were banned) advertising venues and PPC companies refused to monetize their purely type-in traffic.

I don't find that so unusual. The registrars are the gatekeepers to the internet. They don't have a right to pass judgement and presume what a site is going to be used for. The parking companies know what a site is going to be used for...therefor have more right to pass judgement. The advertising companies (google) are complicit partners in the use of the site...therfor have more responsibility to pass judgement. It's a pyramid. The filters would naturally increase as you go down the pyramid. Otherwise the guys at the top would be judges of the entire internet.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Oh come on. You know where I'm getting at. The majority of the VA Tech-related domains were registered at GoDaddy; a major hypocrite of a registrar (hi Bob). In the past, GD has suspended and hijacked the DNS of domains that were sexually explicit. That's the problem with this country: violence is seen as something natural and unavoidable; sex is seen as sinful and shameful.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh come on. You know where I'm getting at. The majority of the VA Tech-related domains were registered at GoDaddy; a major hypocrite of a registrar (hi Bob). In the past, GD has suspended and hijacked the DNS of domains that were sexually explicit. That's the problem with this country: violence is seen as something natural and unavoidable; sex is seen as sinful and shameful.

How right you are!
It transcends into everything. I have had some bozo nut me on a football pitch & he only got a yellow card, yet you can tell a ref he needs glasses or take your shirt off & celebrate a goal & get the same punishment.
Far mre trivial examples i know, but violence breeds violence.
Take a look round the world, tell me if i';m wrong.
Slightly off topic as it wasn't violence that spawned this freak, probably his upbringing, lack of love & guidance & who knows maybe a real mental illness.
He's hellbound anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom