Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Code Of Ethics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In many ways the domain name industry is still the wild west. We have:

* Trademark infringement
* Cash for comment
* Advertising sponsorship on forums and blogs
* Conferences, drinks, corporate schmoozing..

With the various information sources available such as blogs, forums, review sites, how do you know that what your reading is accurate?

As an author, journo, domainer, I can't stand it any longer, so I decided to post an article about this whole issue.

Does the industry need code of ethics?

Last edited by a moderator:

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In many ways the domain name industry is still the wild west. We have:

* Trademark infringement
* Cash for comment
* Advertising sponsorship on forums and blogs
* Conferences, drinks, corporate schmoozing..

With the various information sources available such as blogs, forums, review sites, how do you know that what your reading is accurate?

As an author, journo, domainer, I can't stand it any longer, so I decided to post an article about this whole issue.

Does the industry need code of ethics?

Simon, as a journalist how do you plan to be paid for service?
Do you think DNF should not have sponsorship?

Doesn't a journalist get paid for his comments?

Do you think CNN or CNBC should not accept advertising?
Maybe, the reporters will work for free?

The only point I agree with you is about TM infringement.
But, that is also a grey area.
Every generic word has a TM on it.

If you owned Elephant.com, do you think it is correct that an insurance company
claims they own the rights to the domain because they have a TM on
elephant as it applies to insurance?

Do you think it is correct that Nissan Motors should take Nissan.com away from it present owner?

As for conferences and people socializing among ourselves, what is wrong with that?

So, are you going to bring up the next argument?
That domains should be free and not owned unless you are actually going to immediately develop it, not for profit?

You state you are an author. Lets say that you want to publish a book.
Are you going to publish every copy by hand?
I assume you don't want to be paid for your comments?

Who is paying your bills?

Your comments are unrealistic in a capitalistic world.

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Advertising sponsorship on forums and blogs?

When a forum accepts advertising from any and all comers, it's hardly unethical. I suppose you could make a case for a forum that accepted advertising from only one parking company or registrar, but even still, I'm not sure you'd have a case.

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with the others about most points - all fields have conferences & schmoozing.

The thing you are right about, but maybe didn't state in a clear enough way, is about it still being the wild west in terms of journalistic coverage vs. hype advertising in the form of blogs & newsletters.

The popular domaining blogs are coming from a domainer's perspective, thus are subjective and in some cases, steeped deep in self-interest, regardless of reality. These blogs are fine - but until the industry starts getting objective coverage (meaning the people writing & observing trends are not profiting, thus no conflict of interest), than it is and will continue to be the Wild West.

On a last note, there also is nothing wrong with forums having advertising (just like TV networks), as long as those who run the forum do not give special treatment to the advertisers in comments, etc. It's simply about remaining objective as possible.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The dnoa - dnoa.org has a pretty good code of ethics.

But all media is a whore by the very nature of the business.

The only true unbiased information you get is from peoples posts on forums and blogs and that too not 100% of the time as people have vested interests at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with the others about most points - all fields have conferences & schmoozing.

The thing you are right about, but maybe didn't state in a clear enough way, is about it still being the wild west in terms of journa
a27
listic coverage vs. hype advertising in the form of blogs & newsletters.

The popular domaining blogs are coming from a domainer's perspective, thus are subjective and in some cases, steeped deep in self-interest, regardless of reality. These blogs are fine - but until the industry starts getting objective coverage (meaning the people writing & observing trends are not profiting, thus no conflict of interest), than it is and will continue to be the Wild West.

On a last note, there also is nothing wrong with forums having advertising (just like TV networks), as long as those who run the forum do not give special treatment to the advertisers in comments, etc. It's simply about remaining objective as possible.

i totally agree with you MacyT

for example:

in the modern domainer mag, the writer's who feature other bloggers, now state that they do not endorse or promote these blogs, only providing the content as news.

these statements came
a27
after it was brought to their attention that such focus on individual bloggers would imply endorsements of their comments and websites.

another example of forum advertisers:

there was a forum advertiser here, who felt that since he was spending so much money that he should be allowed to break the rules and use every posting opportunity to promote his site and services....just because.

when i didn't agree, we had a fall-out

so in that regard, dnf does try to insure that there is no conflict of interest or favoritism given to advertisers.

however, those who have their "own" forum sectins here on dnf, are allowed to promote within that area "at will".

but outside those areas, they must follow forums rules as any other person, within their respective membership level.

on the convention side:

these events help to promote the industry and bring in outside cash, but they also give exposure to an "unregulated" wild west industry where a lot of money is exchanged.

there are people and interests who would like to have what we got, by any means necessary.

this imo....has brought more wrath upon domainers which accusations of squatting, than normal routine claims of infringement would.

particularly with generic domains that companies are claiming infringement on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators