Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Credit card & Afternic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else requesting their credit card details to be removed from Afternic ? or can you delete them on the site before they redirect it ?

I won't give NameBuySell.com $1.95 ! or even list there.

Gregr should turn PerfectName into a auction site.

And they won't give me my membership back >>>>

"Dear Afternic Member,

Hello and thank you for contacting Afternic.com. The Fee charged for upgrading to Exchange Member status is not refundable. This one-time charge is used to authenticate your credit card information, which reduces the risk of identity fraud within our community. Our records indicate that you have been an active member of the Afternic.com community since November 23, 2000.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions and/or comments that you may have.

Best regards,

The Member Services Team"

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust namebuysell.com either.
Just look at their site.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"I won't give NameBuySell.com $1.95 ! or even list there."

I have discussed the "new" Afternic with several (actually, many) fellow domainers, and I'll tell you ... the vast majority have, or will be (like me), signing up at the site! The cost is only $1.95/year.
I've read that there are mixed feelings about the site ... but I, for one, am willing to give them a chance. Merry Christmas and Good Luck.

M

mole

Ah, the good ol' days of Afternic and dotcom exuberance memories die hard :)

At $1.95, I won't risk the bother of exposing my credit card details to strangers. It's the classic bait and hook trick. Paypal, or nothing.

ctn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Ah, the good ol' days of Afternic and dotcom exuberance memories die hard :)

At $1.95, I won't risk the bother of exposing my credit card details to strangers. It's the classic bait and hook trick. Paypal, or nothing.

The minute you or anyone else puts there credit card # or info or other personal info anywhere on the internet you are exposed by not only strangers but the world.The internet is the #1 place to obtain any and all info.

It might be done legally or illegally,But it can be obtainable if someone wants it bad enough
Just my two cents:)

M

mole

Originally posted by ctn

The minute you or anyone else puts there credit card # or info or other personal info anywhere on the internet you are exposed by not only strangers but the world.The internet is the #1 place to obtain any and all info.

It might be done legally or illegally,But it can be obtainable if someone wants it bad enough
Just my two cents:)

Sure ctn, its like saying the moment you walk out of the door, you may/can/will be hit by lightning, so just vegetate at home :)

Life is always a risk vs return gamble, reckless on one end of the scele, paranoid on the other.

Somehow, bait and hook techniques make my senses tingle, that's all. THe internet, I agree, is a dangerous place for the novice or those who are too trusting. Scams and stings are the norm, rather than the exception. So go in with eyes wide open, and be prepared for anything :swg:

I never use a credit card for the internet, but a debit card that I can control in terms of funds available at any one point in time. That's just pure common sense.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"I never use a credit card for the internet, but a debit card that I can control in terms of funds available at any one point in time. That's just pure common sense."

Is it really simply pure common sense?
Be sure to check out your "liability limits" with debit cards. I understand your being able to control the actual funds, but there may be more here to consider ... for instance, when using CREDIT cards, an individual's liability (in the case(s) of misuse or fraud) is $50.00! I know of no such 'protection' with the use of debit cards. Naturally, I'd love to hear all comments/opinions on the matter.
Good Luck.

M

mole

Well, with DCs you just maintain the minimum funds needed to make the transaction you need, say $50, and then let it run down to zero. It is very easy to instantly top up your card from another account what with e-banking and all that. If anybody charges you for something unexpected, the request is declined :evil:

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
Is anyone else requesting their credit card details to be removed from Afternic ? or can you delete them on the site before they redirect it ?

It's my understanding that none of the data is being transferredto the new owner, only the domain name. Afternic as we knew it is gone, which is really just Register.com. Hopefully the afternic database will be deleted or at least not available on a net connected server. From my experience with them, they probably won't spend any money to keep the data and merge it with Register.com data. I don't see any real value to the data for their new purposes since almost no resellers use register.com due to their second worst prices in the industry(NSI still wins first on that one).

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whois-Search, the email you quote is NOT from us - the new owners of Afternic.com. We are not acquiring any account information so we will not have any information on you if you do not join.

Members concerned about credit card risk should know that we do not retain credit card numbers in our system. We use your number (transmitted over 128-bit SSL) for one transaction authorized by you through the #1 credit card processor in the world (Cardservice/First Data) and it is never stored in our database.

I think most members appreciate that we have a billing relationship with every member. It helps us control the bogus activity and that is good for everyone.

mole, if we charged you $49 instead of 1.95, it would not reduce your credit card risk, only the amount you spend.

CoolHost, thanks for giving us a chance! We are ready to prove our commitment to the community with quality service.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I logged on afternic a few days ago to clear my credit card info and it showed that I "never supplied cc data."

I did, hope this means they cleared it. (Did I say, "I hope.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom