Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Deadbeat auctions on NameJet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Correct. And that might lead to issues, such as the 2nd highest bidder not being interested in the domain anymore, or they don't wish to allocate their funds to it etc.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered why someone who has a special reason for bidding on a name would sign up with a username that is similar to the domain. There are so many examples of this I cannot even count them.

Why tip everyone off you are an enduser? What now dawned on me is it is more likely the auction company opening these accounts that reflect the domain in order to give some credibility to the auction while shilling, just a theory. The fact it happens so often is a huge red flag, no way random unassociated parties would do this..very strange.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Good question. I've seen that often and also seen the term "lawyer" as a suffix to whatever domain or keyword was being auctioned. I think that it's done simply for intimidation - and it has no relation to an actual company. If you had followed my thread about the guy who'd contact corporations that used domains similar to the one being auctioned, offering to bid on their behalf as a "savior" you'll understand what's going on.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good question. I've seen that often and also seen the term "lawyer" as a suffix to whatever domain or keyword was being auctioned. I think that it's done simply for intimidation - and it has no relation to an actual company. If you had followed my thread about the guy who'd contact corporations that used domains similar to the one being auctioned, offering to bid on their behalf as a "savior" you'll understand what's going on.

I actually was involved in blasting that guy here, remember ;)

But yes, to odd that end users keep using similar usernames, just not logical or mathmatically possible at this rate.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I only have one account. Is it possible to have more than one? That might explain the trend. Some outing is needed :D

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never tried for another, its expensive enough with one lol

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have two accounts, one used only to entrap copy-cunts: backorder lots of crap I do not want and delete minute or two before end. CC listed there has no money in it so if something happens and I will not manage to delete it I will not end up paying lots of crap but rather they will just close that account and I will open another one.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
lol Denny, you're something else. Your last minute strategy is priceless.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Another deadbeat winner at Namejet:

domain: multiples.net
winner: makeawishorg
price: $531
date: 5/9/2009

Domain is back in auction.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

domain: candycompany.com
winner: catchoftheday
price: $6,800
date: 7/28/2009

Wire

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has lessened to a degree but still happens too often. Aren't names like bf9238gd09 a dead giveaway?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

domain: xenus.com
winner: artemgalishev
price: $2,420
date: 9/26/2009

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's why i gave up on namejet long ago,i alway get outbid and the domains there seem to go for ridiculous money compared to snap.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the end of June, NameJet established few rules for deadbeat bidders:

2. Payment For Domains.

2.1. Creating an account with us and bidding on domain names at NameJet is free. If you are the winning bidder at auction, NameJet may, at its sole discretion, require you to tender payment for the domain name in the manner of its choosing, including but not limited to credit card, debit account, or wire transfer. All payments charged and collected by NameJet are non-refundable. We may choose to change our credits policy and such changes are effective when we post the changes on the Site. We may, in our sole discretion, change some or all of our services at any time. In the event we introduce a new service, any fees for that service are effective at the launch of the service. Unless otherwise stated, all payment must be made in U.S. Dollars. By using our services, you agree that you are responsible for making all payment associated with using our service and the Site and all applicable taxes and those payments are due immediately upon demand or may be charged to your credit card number or debited to your account which you have provided to us and are non-refundable. In the event of a charge reversal or chargeback by a credit card company or other payment provider, or if we determine in our sole discretion that we are unable or unlikely to collect payment, any associated domain registration will immediately terminate and/or the domain name will be transferred to NameJet as the paying entity for the registration.

2.2. In the event that you default on making payment to NameJet after being named the winning bidder, NameJet reserves the right to charge, and you agree to pay, a fee for defaulting on payment, the amount of which shall be determined by NameJet. You will be considered in default if you fail to pay within seven (7) calendar days from the date that the auction closes. After seven days, your account will be placed in “past due” status and you will be unable to bid for, or place any backorder on, any domain name on the NameJet Platform until you make payment. If you fail to make your payment within fourteen (14) days from the date the auction closes, your account will be closed permanently. Verified Bidders shall have an additional seven (7) days to make payment before their accounts are closed.

On October 21st, point failed to pay for a domain he won (seekjobs.com) and I was thinking he's banned.

Well, point is not banned at all, he's happily bidding on other auctions.

Congrats, Namejet.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the bidder did not fail to pay intentionally.

When NJ started out I lost one name because I couldn't pay for it, all my credit cards were declined by their system (I'm sure it's because of AVS but NJ would do nothing about it). Technically they would say I defaulted but they didn't levy the penalty fee.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kate, theoretically that's possible, but I doubt.

And NameJet states clearly:
If you fail to make your payment within fourteen (14) days from the date the auction closes, your account will be closed permanently. Verified Bidders shall have an additional seven (7) days to make payment before their accounts are closed.

So, they either change their rules or ban the members who fail to pay.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namejet is a enduser market place it seems... domains I can buy on here for $100 or less sell for $300+, domains I can buy here for $500, sell for $1500+ on namejet

But I still frequent the site and end up over paying for domains I like :/

And as of late, I have been putting in backorders on domains only for 2-3 people to jump in at the last minute and then bid me up at the end of the auction, very annoying, they are pretty niche names that there is not a huge market for so its quite irritating and suspicious at the same time.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

domain: microcosm.com
winner: greatwhite
price: $3,100
date: 12/5/2009

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

domain: microcosm.com
winner: greatwhite
price: $3,100
date: 12/5/2009

I've noticed dozens of these lately... names selling for big money and the buyer never following through.. just re-auctioned.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if all these are deadbeats or if you know you are going to get run up and pay over the odds then why place any bids at all ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom