Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Does anyone really buy or sell here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems like the majority of listings on dnforum do not result in a sale. Am I right or wrong?

Or is everyone selling successfuly, except me?

I think this is endemic to any domain forum. And I am not being pessimistic; rather, just realistic.
(and yes, Endemic.com is taken).

It seems listings are mostly very low quality domains, that probably should not even be hand-regged;
a few that are overpriced; and a few that are great deals but everyone is ignoring.

Right or wrong?

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't ignore a great deal. Lower your price further, and you'll see. :)

I do agree with you, though. Ever since I joined dnf, about 3 years, I roam the forum daily. I see lots of trademark names, names with "s" in the wrong place, flipped over names, cctld extensions, stuff that I wouldn't buy.

And the stuff that should sell usually don't get sold because people want more bargain out of them. People may still buy, though by pm. I buy few names through pm, still do. But I only buy few. So, I guess if other members buy through pm, then there are still buying and selling going on.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that most of the sales here are from people requesting a certain type of name and are done through PM. I have done 8 transactions in the last 8 months...both buying and selling.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've bought in the last month, my buys are mostly <$100.

It's possible to buy here for xx to low xxx and sell later to an end user for high xxx or more, say in a marketplace outside the forum. Part is knowing what to look for and part is being lucky. Knowing what to look for makes you luckier.

I offered a name here in the past couple years for low xxx BIN that never sold, luckily for me because I ended up selling it this year for just under mid xxxx via email contact.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a lower/middling xxxx sale on the forum this year.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems like the majority of listings on dnforum do not result in a sale. Am I right or wrong?

I think this is endemic to any domain forum. And I am not being pessimistic; rather, just realistic.

It seems listings are mostly very low quality domains, that probably should not even be hand-regged;
a few that are overpriced; and a few that are great deals but everyone is ignoring.

Right or wrong?

the other side of that coin is

names that don't seem to get sold here, may get sold elsewhere...at a higher price than offered here originally.

so, does that indicate that some don't know a good deal when they see one?

there is also the aspect of 'who' is doing the selling...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the other side of that coin is

names that don't seem to get sold here, may get sold elsewhere...at a higher price than offered here originally.

I agree....but as the exposure here is really good - the name gets seen by a certain domaining niche. I think any way for the forum for sale posting to get more exposure is what will move sales significantly. Adam is doing a good job with this by utilizing social media to help promote forum sales.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ksinclair is right and Vincent hit the sweet spot on this one.

As for sales on the forum, most of mine have taken place via PM and my buying has taken place via PM.

All in all, I like to keep my business dealings private and that also seems to be how others are wanting to do business on the forum.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There's a reason I have the biggest feedback number of transactions on DNForum: I buy and sell all the time. And a lot of transactions occur "behind closed doors". DNForum is a great communication platform and it will become bigger in the future. Stay tuned. ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's good news. I thought domainers were broke. I'm going to post a few goodies for sale and I'm expecting tens of PMs from y'all :)

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sales here have certainly decreased over the past few years. I used to post "mega-sales" with 100-150 domains and sell at least a couple dozen. Now I'm lucky if more than 2 or 3 get bought. Differences in the economy and the industry, I guess.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's good news. I thought domainers were broke. I'm going to post a few goodies for sale and I'm expecting tens of PMs from y'all :)
For me - the sales come from responding to "names wanted" - not posting.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a reason I have the biggest feedback number of transactions on DNForum: I buy and sell all the time. And a lot of transactions occur "behind closed doors".

this is another reason why you won't "see' a lot of 'sold' posts.

when or if some folks "post" an offer in a thread or show any interest publicly....it alerts others.

i've seen it happen sooooooooooooooo many times.

another side of another coin is

some members know, that some sellers won't, even consider lowball offers for the names they do happen to post for sale.

so, you won't see much activity there

then there are the sellers that most members don't know, who offer nice domains seeking offers

and you'll see a lot of "send me price for this or that", like they're all interested to buy

but in reality, only one or two can afford or are willing to pay for the names at sellers price, while majority will submit lowest bids seller ever received.

seems like most are tire-kickers, ill-informed, bot appraisal users who won't go higher than what another site tells them a category is worth.

those who think outside the box are free to roam, those inside a box are limited.

:)

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good discussion, folks.

How could we increase the sales here? What would work? What format is best in a listing?
Is there some new subforum that could trigger more sales?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Just what we need, another ledge for pigeons to crap on... Maybe we can call it the "Buy 1 get one 1 Free" Forum, that should generate some sales, what do you think?

Sarcasism aside, You need to fix the underlying problem in order to fix the sales problem, the PRODUCT is the problem, low sales in the RESULT.. It's like a used car dealer selling a lot full of junk cars, passer bye's see the cars are junk from the street and keep on driving, But instead of the Dealer correcting the problem by investing in newer and better condition cars, he decides to do what you want to do and hires a Clown spinning signs on the street corner to draw in customers, only the customers still aren't buying.

Find ways to discourage the posting of pigeon sh*t and encourage quality and sales will increase.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How could we increase the sales here? What would work? What format is best in a listing?

Perhaps a page with a listing of domains for sale similar to some auction platforms. There could be at least a column with sold/unsold indicator.
The DNF main menu could have a prominent link to the sales/auction page.

Personally I feel the sales platform in the current forum format is outdated. One of the main disadvantages is the lack of exposure, names for sale do get lost in the tsunami of daily new messages. When I am not actively looking to buy a domain, I still may be interested but then i won't take the time to open every sales thread. A list will be much easier to scan and might trigger more 'spontanous' sales.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Right or wrong?

You are not wrong, although I can guarantee you will sell decent names if you're prepared to take a loss on them lol. The economy on DNF basically consists of domainers looking for a bargain and those liquidating their portfolios.

I must admit I was taken back when recently I saw even a mod trying to sell an obvious typo that was worthless for some ridiculous amount. Kinda speaks volumes about the desperation and the industry as a whole.

Last edited:

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a VERY interesting idea - I would love to see a single text list, one domain per line, of all domains offered for sale on dnforum.
Each name could be a link to the actual forum post. Is this possible? WHAT A TIME SAVER IT WOULD BE!

Perhaps a page with a listing of domains for sale similar to some auction platforms. There could be at least a column with sold/unsold indicator. The DNF main menu could have a prominent link to the sales/auction page.

Personally I feel the sales platform in the current forum format is outdated. One of the main disadvantages is the lack of exposure, names for sale do get lost in the tsunami of daily new messages. When I am not actively looking to buy a domain, I still may be interested but then i won't take the time to open every sales thread. A list will be much easier to scan and might trigger more 'spontanous' sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom