Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Does BuyDomains.com negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of negotiating domain prices with BuyDomains? Or do they stick to the published price 100%?

Thanks

gph

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the domain and the situation. I would say overall, they rarely negotiate.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe they negotiate.. I haven't had any experience with them but have heard of cases. Also, I suggest you contact Steve (URLCollection) as I believe he can get you cheaper prices than what is listed.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They do negotiate, but its weird how they do it. About 2 years ago snapnames failed on a random drop, and buydomains got it. I contacted them to see what they were asking, and they said $2500. Anyways, about 10 days later I was going to buy it, and they told me they sold it to someone else for $1500. I couldn't believe it. Had they suggested that price to begin with, I would've bought it right away. Errr......

RMF

Frontline

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They quote a price and sometimes a few days later if you don't buy it for that price they will send emails saying they lowered the price and the offer is good for a few days.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sleazy said:
They quote a price and sometimes a few days later if you don't buy it for that price they will send emails saying they lowered the price and the offer is good for a few days.

Yeah, but the problem is they are overpriced to begin with, and when they send you a "discount" e-mail, they discount 100-200 dollars on a 3,888 name, which really does not make any difference... At least, that was my experience.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi GPH - We deal with Buy Domains all the time as a contracted broker of record. Most domains are at a fixed price - In some cases if we bring them offers in the 80 - 90% of list price range, we can close the sale. It does depend on the name, traffic, appraised value and market conditions. Send me the domains you are interested in and a real offer (nothing under $688 handled by us for any domain name they have) and I will see what we can do. Thanks - Steve

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They definately do negotiate.It's not that hard.

Just call them up, let them know why the name you want is not worth THAT much ( like tell them how long they own it and how they haven't managed to sell it so far or that the extension is crap etc).Been there, done it.Works.

No special contracts or skills neccessary, i more than once talked them down from 688 to like 200 or less.Just call them up.

They're pretty open to serious and decent offers and do listen.

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
THanks URLCollection & beatz. Good to know!

gph

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They definitely do negotiate.

Obviously, if you contact them the day or so after they get a name over
snaps or someone else, they'll give you an astronomical price and not want
to drop it. So, don't contact right after they catch.

Also, make it seem like you're a serious buyer interested in the domain but
not THAT interested. If you can't get this one, you already have 10 others
on your list that you'll buy from their competitor.

Good Luck,
Luc L.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had them stand like a brick wall negotiating for www.freetemplates.com to go along with my existing site, www.free-templates.com
This instance, apparently they were representing the seller as the agent.
So I tried to locate the seller and lo and behold I thought I did. Some research at archive.org and a whois history site I use, I thought I had my guy to now finally deal with and not worry about the broker in the middel.

The story got funny when I made a deal with agfa monotype (fonts.com, photos.com, etc.), just to find out they had it snapped when someone in accounting forgot to pay the bill. Deal was for $2,000.
So there I was, though I had the seller, they thought they had a buyer meanwhile the name was registered to someone else.

Next thing I knew the name was sold to someone else, but this time for real, and for $7,000.

So, could be that they negotiate easier if its their name. I dealt with Sylvia and she was one tough cookie. In Real Estate, we have to present all offers that come in on a property, even if its for $1 or a wristwatch for that matter.. I have a feeling that they don't present all offers to the seller so be careful if you sell there.

She made it a point several times in the conversations to tell me "we have two years to sell the name"

This name went for full published price, four weeks after I started showing interest to them. I didnt think it was worth that much. Obviously I was wrong. But, it hurt because they never contacted me at the last minute to see if I wanted to beat the offer. They knew I had wanted it. Go figure.

GL with them

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are the worst type of people in "this businesss" imaginable.

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you to the recent posters for your information. Good to know!

gph

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Note to my last post, the new buyer turned down my offer of 12K three days after he purchased it.
That would have been the fastest 5K he would have made that week I guarantee it.

So if you guys (buydomains) are out there reading this (Sylvia), that could have been all profit for someone :)
Ask the buyer, it's true!

locos

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did a price request using their form and they came back at something like $800. Was too much. I didn't bother with a counter and over the next few months the asking price dropped on the buydomains parking page. It seemed to actually fall automatically. However, there's one I'm interested in that has a price of over $20k and that price hasn't fallen at all.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
beatz said:
They definately do negotiate.It's not that hard.

Just call them up, let them know why the name you want is not worth THAT much ( like tell them how long they own it and how they haven't managed to sell it so far or that the extension is crap etc).

Maybe if you call... They do not seem to monitor their emails.

They will automatically drop the name by 3%-5% (1 to 2 drops) via an automated system that will email you as if your getting some great deal.

I'm sure many will relate to this: I inquired on a name worth about $200 in the open market (1 of 100's on my list), and they wanted $8,000 for it.

I replied with about a 2-page essay on why it wasn't worth more than $200, etc etc, and backed it all up with fact after fact. They didn't bother replying and never did sell the name (at least for a year afterwards).

When I cannot get in touch with a company like this via email --especially when I've invested time and research, I write that company off completely.

So, I will never do business with BFD... never say never, but most likely 99.999% sure never. ;) [/rant]

Their business model sucks... if it wasn't for the sheer volume of domains they have (and the capital), they'd never make a sale based on sound business practices. If I owned BFD, it would be a hell of a lot more profitable --not to mention that I would remove all the lies, BS, and hype from the website... [/rant pt.2] ;)

-Wesley

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly Wesley... they seem to be stuck into that selfish ego game. Just read the words of their main bozo Mike @ DnJournal, and see 4 yourself what "self-grandeur" dreams he is dreaming of. In other words, they will hold the name in many cases not to sell it, but to prevent you from having it, unless you agree to drop down your pants and be but****ed with their extortion deal.

And when I see their domains like "cyberclick net" being listed for sale @ $500,000 USD I can't help but to puke down my shirt, if u know what I mean.

Not to mention that I had a horrible experience with their "customer service" once, when I try to reason with them in why one of their OVER-BALOONED domains is OVER-BALOONED. They sent me an e-mail literally taunting me how stupid I am not to be in their position and have that name.

Those guys are bunch of immature pricks. Total business & human garbage-men.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so, how much is their discount?
Can share your best discount rate from their initial price to the price you close the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators