Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Broker startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arseny

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone is well and you already back in business after wild winter holidays ;)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any kind of advice/ideas/comments on the topic of Domain Broker startup. Basically what steps would you recommend taking for anyone (actually me) who would start domain broker business?

Thanks!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

please don't take this personally and it's good advice for others to know:

"anyone who needs to know the steps, shouldn't be brokering domain names."

also, we've had and continue to get, the wannabe's who often claim "to be looking for names for a client".

one should have a successful track record of buying and selling domain names, prior to offering such services for others.

but that's just my opinion...

Arseny

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No problem, I understand. Although how do I offer such services (and get the experience) without having previous experience?.. Anybody has to start somewhere. I'm aware there thousands of domain-broker-wannabe's, but I'm think that there're pretty much other well established brokers who do nothing but mass emial campaigns trying to sell the names. So I guess there's pretty much place for everyone ;)

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to be able to sell your own names first to build track records.

If you can't even sell your own names then what make you think that you can sell other people names?

It 's not an easy job - You would need:
- Connection/Contacts
- Communication skills

Arseny

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Roger that. So in order to develop the contacts and the skills required I need to star somewhere? And those can be developed by actively selling the names? And first of all, names from my own inventory.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Roger that. So in order to develop the contacts and the skills required I need to star somewhere? And those can be developed by actively selling the names? And first of all, names from my own inventory.

1. Research and Learn
2. Buy/Sell Your own Domains
3. Be Successful
4. Be a Domain Broker

You should probably spend a high amount of time on step 1.

Arseny

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks Beards, that's exactly what I'm trying to do :)

How many Domain should I have sold to know I'm good to become the broker?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Beards, that's exactly what I'm trying to do :)

How many Domain should I have sold to know I'm good to become the broker?

It's not about how many. Selling 1 solid domain is more profitable than selling 1,000 average domains. If you want to build a reputation you must be involved with some high profile transactions. Problem is.. that costs money. If you don't have a significant amount of money to invest upfront - it'll be a much harder process.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
one should have a successful track record of buying and selling domain names, prior to offering such services for others.
Hammer. Head :)
You need to be able to sell your own names first to build track records.

If you can't even sell your own names then what make you think that you can sell other people names?
Nail :)

And that is precisely why there are so many broker wannabes, because they don't have good inventory. So they try with other people's domains.

In order to be successful, a domainer needs to know which domains to buy, and which ones not to buy.
Likewise, a broker must know which names do sell, and which won't sell (that is, most). Because a broker will typically receive tons of brokerage requests for crap domains from desperate sellers.
You need to sort through the mud and pick only the domains that an end user would buy. You don't want to put time and effort into pitching domains that nobody will ever want. So you need to be in touch the market and understand what makes a quality name.

Being a broker is more than running a newsletter. You also need to pick up the phone, reach out to end users, proactively find possible buyers. You need good salesman skills.
Of course, the newsletter is important... but building a subscriber base of thousands of qualified buyers is not something that can be achieved overnight. It is a lengthy process.
When starting from scratch you'll have to build everything yourself.
To sum up, you need experience, a track record but first of all a thorough understanding of the market.
It's like being a domainer, most will fail, a few will succeed but it takes time. A baby learning to walk will stumble and fall many times.

In short, be your own broker first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom