Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dont you think it is ridiculous to have Adsense on your domain portfolio site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not just the website, it is about the image you present of yourself and your business operations (do you look cheap or do you mean business).
In the case of DNS BD HD etc you are dealing with established corporations, it's a bit more intimidating than a small guy with a one-page site and a gmail address as point of contact.
I would guess a potential buyer is more likely to lowball or even play strong arm tactics against the small guy but it's just my perception.

i think,...after a potential submits an offer, they'll find out whether i mean business or not. :)

and who wants to be or feel intimidated when they are considering a purchase?

dealing with established corps, means more overhead, which means more mark-up in pricing

dealing with the "small guy" means less overhead and potentially less mark-up

and being a small guy doesn't always equate with "lack of experience", so strong arm tactics won't work there

now i'll agree that image can be important, but more importantly, is the ability to communicate effectively and have negotiation skills to get a deal done.

so... say you got a great looking portfolio site with no adsense, you get an offer, but don't know how much to ask or how to close the deal.

tell me how ridiculous is that :)

btw; few days ago got inquiry on a lll.orgy via email, potential asks how much, i say $4k is bin price.....next day they click the buy now price at s e d o

got notice payment sent to escrow today

same frickin name that mo fo's here only offered $350 for

:)

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dealing with established corps, means more overhead, which means more mark-up in pricing

dealing with the "small guy" means less overhead and potentially less mark-up
Exactly right, corporations have overhead, they pay salaries, taxes and they probably have to charge you sales tax/VAT. So you have to expect these things will be factored in the price. If you want the domain you have no choice. And they have to make their time worthwhile. So unless you are completely dumb, there is no point submitting a $50 offer for any domain.

The strong arm tactics can take the form of abusive TM claims, it's tempting for a corp to pressure a Mr Nobody that ain't a lawyer, while they would think twice about it when approaching an established company with a clean reputation and that isn't a one-man show. But few domainers are incorporated :)

I agree with the above comment that affiliate ads are better, domain/hosting related banners will not hurt your credibility.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
big corps can have bad reps too :)

all the things that you can apply to a corp to inflate pricing, a small guy can do the same, as part of acquisition costs.

and if someone wants a domain from me, they'll have same choices as if buying from BD.... pay asking price or go elsewhere.

again, as for the strong arm tactics:

how does a corp know that mr small guy is not a lawyer or does not have legal resources or that he isn't capable of handling legal matters without assistance? how does corp know that it's only a one man/woman show?

all that is assumption, and why assume the worst case scenerio over a neutral one?

back to adsense;

the content of one's website, typically determines what kind of ads show in adsense

since mine is about domains, most ads are about domains or host-ing

so does that give me credibility now and make this thread a mute point?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. But we'll just have to agree to disagree ;)

But that is quite a quandry, no?

Think about it for a minute....

Parking has all but long-gone died.

It works for a few higer quality domains, but sucks for the rest.

And yet, people use adsense a s a parking 'solution'.
A way of making a few pennies on a visitor.

So many websites I visit, and yet, so many look so cheezy with their little adverts all over the place.

But so many domainers want to look kinda professional with their little adverts that some may say dont do any damage unless someone clicks on one of them.

But the fact is it looks like crap. And if you want to shmooze a big baller as opposed to a low baller,... an end user as opposed to a flipper,... make your website count.

I have a dozen examples why it looks like crap. Does anybody really want to argue that point?

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But that is quite a quandry, no?

Think about it for a minute....

Parking has all but long-gone died.

It works for a few higer quality domains, but sucks for the rest.

And yet, people use adsense a s a parking 'solution'.
A way of making a few pennies on a visitor.

So many websites I visit, and yet, so many look so cheezy with their little adverts all over the place.

But so many domainers want to look kinda professional with their little adverts that some may say dont do any damage unless someone clicks on one of them.

But the fact is it looks like crap. And if you want to shmooze a big baller as opposed to a low baller,... an end user as opposed to a flipper,... make your website count.

I have a dozen examples why it looks like crap. Does anybody really want to argue that point?

dude shouldn't that question be directed at biggie?

I believe it is, no?

there are many arguments one can take up in regards to monetizing domains, cheezy looking sites, unprofessionlism, big ballers, end-users, flippers, image, perception, small guy vs big corp, etc.

the deal with me personally, is that i'm not trying to smooze, woo or entice no one.

the domains do that all by themselves

if you don't want to buy because you don't like the cheezy adsense....you're just one mo fo who won't get the name.

there are others who won't prejudge the owner, based on the cover, as they are more interested in the content...which are the domain names.

domainers by nature, adopt more prejudices and discriminate against so many variables within the domain realm.

whereas, those not in the biz have not learned these practices.

they buy what they like, what appeals to them, without negative interference from domainers telling them value, cpc, bot specs and whatnot.

that's why you often see names sell for prices much higher than expected or names you'd pass-on that flip for huge margins.

do you really think a big baller who knows he can sell a name listed on a crappy looking site, will pass on the opp the purchase if price is right?

how do you think they got to be big ballers in the first place? :)

you can give 100 examples why my site doesn't appeal to you, and i only need one to tell you why i don't care.

say your site looks perfect, all pro, top flight, well designed, no adsense....but you got crap names and no sales.

and my site looks crappy, small time, has design issues, with adsense....but i got decent names, earning ppc and lease revenue, along with some recent sales.

who is earning $, and who isn't, that's what counts. :)

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

there are many arguments one can take up in regards to monetizing domains, cheezy looking sites, unprofessionlism, big ballers, end-users, flippers, image, perception, small guy vs big corp, etc.

the deal with me personally, is that i'm not trying to smooze, woo or entice no one.

the domains do that all by themselves

if you don't want to buy because you don't like the cheezy adsense....you're just one mo fo who won't get the name.

there are others who won't prejudge the owner, based on the cover, as they are more interested in the content...which are the domain names.

domainers by nature, adopt more prejudices and discriminate against so many variables within the domain realm.

whereas, those not in the biz have not learned these practices.

they buy what they like, what appeals to them, without negative interference from domainers telling them value, cpc, bot specs and whatnot.

that's why you often see names sell for prices much higher than expected or names you'd pass-on that flip for huge margins.

do you really think a big baller who knows he can sell a name listed on a crappy looking site, will pass on the opp the purchase if price is right?

how do you think they got to be big ballers in the first place? :)

you can give 100 examples why my site doesn't appeal to you, and i only need one to tell you why i don't care.

say your site looks perfect, all pro, top flight, well designed, no adsense....but you got crap names and no sales.

and my site looks crappy, small time, has design issues, with adsense....but i got decent names, earning ppc and lease revenue, along with some recent sales.

who is earning $, and who isn't, that's what counts. :)

Ya know?... That is an answer I was looking for. Liked. Thanks.

But I wont be monetising my site, crappy names or not. I dont need the extra few cents myself.

But I fully understand what you suggest, and do appreciate the reply.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And no,.. that wasnt 'necessarily' directed at you bd.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
who cares what "other" domainers think about your site, unless you "ask" them for advice or to critique it?

what's important is when someone contacts you about a domain you have listed for sale.

Agree.. Aside from running the risk of directing traffic away from your own web site, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow... someone here is selling their highly qualified domain sales leads for $0.78/ea. Maybe I should simply buy those leads and see if there are any others who will let me steal buyers from their portfolio sites for that price :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow... someone here is selling their highly qualified domain sales leads for $0.78/ea. Maybe I should simply buy those leads and see if there are any others who will let me steal buyers from their portfolio sites for that price :)

be my guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom