Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

dot Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
though some nice kywds could go with this gtld, it could be prone to:

.tecniology
.technology
.technolgy
.technology
.rechnology

so unless you get links/ranking, who will get the typo traffic?

imo....

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Search engine technology has evolved a lot since .mobi and .asia was released. The norm is auto-correct/populate and users mostly tap onto or semect the auto correct/populate keywords. Nowadays, i think users depend upon the search engine rather than typing directly in the url.
Users can either type in cnn.com or search for headlines in categories such as "technology news" as its easier to do a vast search rather than restricting themselves to only one media outlet.

When you type in "news.technology" or "news technology" (without the dot), the search engine results seem more precise and easier for users to navigate than searching from cnn.com...imo

the same goes for the outher domain extentions. I think more thsn the .coms...im not sure so id like to hear others on this topic

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few more...

washington (dot) technology (I had to get that cause I live in Washington...and bill will be mad at me.
state (dot) technology

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few more...

washington (dot) technology (I had to get that cause I live in Washington...and bill will be mad at me.
state (dot) technology

At an annual renewal of $1xx per year, and a direct TM dating back to 1992 which is in good standing, it is a pretty gutsy purchase even if it is a geo.

Even if you created a news blog, you would be essentially violating the TM.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What trademark? I live in Washington state and am in the technology industry. No news blog. Just my portfolio.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What trademark? I live in Washington state and am in the technology industry. No news blog. Just my portfolio.

Lol, I am not a lawyer, but it is 2014, and if SteelBuildings can get hit with a UDRP, anything is game.

I suggest you search the US TM office, and ask a lawyer directly, but from findings I have seen, there is a good chance you would lose if you setup a technology blog.

Last edited:

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, anything can be trademarked. I appreciate your input. I haven't checked the TM office but can speculate that it's not trademarked. There are more than 1 person/company in this state that has some knowledge of the tech industry.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lol, I am not a lawyer, but it is 2014, and if SteelBuildings can get hit with a UDRP, anything is game.
That UDRP is news to me. I can not count the number of businesses that advertise steel buildings for sale and had not seen any literature on that case. Thanks for the pointer.

In terms of Washington.Technology, Seattle is on a list of top 10-20 technology centers globally. One can assume that it is the state of washington specific or washington dc or even washington NC. In this matter, it seems to be pointing to DC region based on government contracts and high technology.

No, I am not a lawyer. But if Jonathan was to set up a site for the state of Washington and blog about techno centers and goings-on and be totally separate from DC he would be safe. Then again, steel buildings...that must have been a doozie.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That UDRP is news to me. I can not count the number of businesses that advertise steel buildings for sale and had not seen any literature on that case. Thanks for the pointer.

In terms of Washington.Technology, Seattle is on a list of top 10-20 technology centers globally. One can assume that it is the state of washington specific or washington dc or even washington NC. In this matter, it seems to be pointing to DC region based on government contracts and high technology.

No, I am not a lawyer. But if Jonathan was to set up a site for the state of Washington and blog about techno centers and goings-on and be totally separate from DC he would be safe. Then again, steel buildings...that must have been a doozie.

I agree with what you are saying, I do not believe in the blank TM processes companies instill, it basically kills ingenuity within business.

Given the type of premium domains out there, with premium renewals, and having a 2014 reg date on your registrations, it is a factored risk that if you talk about, or advertise Technology, they could make a solid case of their mark being infringed. It is simply speculation, but the high technology portion of it leaves a lot of speculation. I agree Washington is a hub of technology. These are things we need to consider with new gtld's, as you want to take away as much chance of having legal issues as possible. You can plead stupid, and say I didn't know, but at the end of the day the onus falls on you.

Could a webpage advertising domains for sale, be considered High Technology by a panel member?

WASHINGTON TECHNOLOGY
Goods and ServicesIC 016. US 038. G & S: periodical publications; namely, newspapers, magazines and annual almanacs in the fields of government contracts and high technology. FIRST USE: 19860228. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19860228

Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so unless you get links/ranking, who will get the typo traffic?

imo....
Most, if not all, search engines are now going the route of completion-matching. If you go to google and start typing t-o-k-y....the search engine will suggest TOKYO. Naturally the same thing happens when you begin typing t-e-c-h-... Anything that hits on those few letters are the keys to the new search engines success. Everyone knows that the fewer the clicks the greater the gratification and these search engines are banking on that happening. These suggestions are usually pretty accurate. Honestly, there are usability studies by the tens-of-thousands describing the habits of the internet user and what makes them happy. The goal now is to give them the results faster to keep them happy. The fewer the clicks equates to consumer satisfaction.

Honestly, I would not expect anyone to have to type the full tokyo.technology. If they did, they would only have to do this once. then their browser would remember that URL and auto-populate when searching again.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gerry, you are right on the money. Ive worked in this area working with usability researchers and we came up with the same results. We can assume that these new extensions may in fact, work better than typing in the url. I may get attacked for writing that, but I'm curious to know the defense with our research and these new domain extension. particularly the .technology domain extensions.

Most, if not all, search engines are now going the route of completion-matching. If you go to google and start typing t-o-k-y....the search engine will suggest TOKYO. Naturally the same thing happens when you begin typing t-e-c-h-... Anything that hits on those few letters are the keys to the new search engines success. Everyone knows that the fewer the clicks the greater the gratification and these search engines are banking on that happening. These suggestions are usually pretty accurate. Honestly, there are usability studies by the tens-of-thousands describing the habits of the internet user and what makes them happy. The goal now is to give them the results faster to keep them happy. The fewer the clicks equates to consumer satisfaction.

Honestly, I would not expect anyone to have to type the full tokyo.technology. If they did, they would only have to do this once. then their browser would remember that URL and auto-populate when searching again.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could a webpage advertising domains for sale, be considered High Technology by a panel member?
Absolutely not. Parking would be the worst thing to do in this (and in most) cases.

Most of the time I am thinking as myself (even as a domaineer) of being the end-user until those offers come in. Most of my purchases are based on one simple premise...if I do not sell it, do I want to own it? If I can honestly say that I would not mind owning or hanging on to the name for a while then that passes one of my innate personal criteria.

When it comes to these new tld's, exact match is a key for me as well as the size of the market it represents. That's why a name like Korean.technology has great appeal to me and most likely to others.

Thus far, I have purchased less than 20 in total of the new gilds with that mix being .singles, .bike, .technology, .photography, .estate. With the exception of one or two "personal interest" domains, I am looking at the size of the markets the search term (my definition of a "search term is search term = domain name + extension) and exact match.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ive worked in this area working with usability researchers and we came up with the same results.
Two books I can recommend (and this is for all who are domineers and site builders):
Don't Make Me Think
Rocket Surgery Made Easy
both by Steve Krug

Needless to say these are very small, easy to read, get through quickly books.

Don't Make Me Think is pretty much the bible for site design and usability.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We can assume that these new extensions may in fact, work better than typing in the url. I may get attacked for writing that, but I'm curious to know the defense with our research and these new domain extension. particularly the .technology domain extensions.
All I can say to that is, why not?

Lets say coca-cola comes out with yet another NEW coke. Could someone actually sit there and tell me (and the consumer) that (in time) it is easier to type coke.com/new than to simply type in new.coke?

That's why I have preached that the brand is the name and the name is the brand.

There is the added benefit of that "trust" factor that if you type (anything).coke that you are ending up on the actual coke website vs ending up on one of thousands of parked pages having to type one of numerous variants of (new) (coke product) .com.

In the end, common sense wins.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Where are you regging for 21 bucks?

@Gerry
<mod edit>

please do not continue to promote your personal domain registration website in any discussion thread.

</mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few more...

state (dot) technology

I'm eyeing this domain since last night, it's on my list of domain to register.
Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom