Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dotster's new game: Charging for OUTBOUND transfers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After a long spell of failures, I finally caught a couple of names a couple of months ago via Namewinner, which puts the names in your Dotster account.

I go to transfer and see they are both in 'client lock'. I have never requested these names be locked, and they are .INFO names so the lock is pointless anyway. There is no way (on the site) to unlock the name.

I submit a support ticket, and get a response saying I MUST PURCHASE DOMAIN PROTECTION IN ORDER TO TURN THE TRANSFER LOCK OFF!!! Since I'm transferring away and will not have any benefit of 'domain protection', this is simply a transfer-out fee.

When I responded to their 'support' reply, writing my response in the little space in the brackets as requested in the instructions, the mail bounces back that 'this incident will not be responded to' because of 'too much spam'!

I won't be doing business with these theives in the future...

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doster's probably locking up all "new" domain registrations by default, a useful
trend among some registrars nowadays ever since the ICANN transfer policy
took effect last November.

What I don't get is why you have to pay for the lock.

Have you tried contacting them again about this? For all you know, your email
may have been answered by a newbie.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Juniper I have recently had names at Dotster unlocked and transferred out without paying any fee like you stated. Of course they still keep sending me "too much spam" telling me to renew the names. They were renewed of course with the transfer.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they are terrible.
I stopped using them a while ago.
did you know that they also use communigal as well for drops?
Try getting a name outta there....

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
I MUST PURCHASE DOMAIN PROTECTION IN ORDER TO TURN THE TRANSFER LOCK OFF!!! ...

I'm not 100% on this but I beleive this "Purchase" is free

jim

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Push it to a netcheap account name, I'll see if I can unlock it.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotBIZ said:
I'm not 100% on this but I beleive this "Purchase" is free

jim
You are probably right, if it's transfer lock (not namesafe), he must order it, and the price should be $0.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotBiz was right. Even though it says Domain Lock is $10, once you put it in your cart, then re-select it from a stupidly designed pull-down, the price changes to $0. You then have to agree to a new registration agreement, they you have to 'complete the purchase', then you find yourself 'logged out'! You have to log in again, then go to the name again, then you can click an UNLOCK link. Then you're completely logged out AGAIN, and have to log in and repeat the whole process for each and every name. After the tenth one, the shopping cart broke down completely and would no longer and 'domain lock' to the cart. After closing all browers I returned, logged in again, and was able to repeat the whole process for the 10th name.

This COULD NOT possibly be more user UNfriendly. 30 minutes to removed locks from 10 names that I did not set and did not want. Worst shopping cart design I have ever seen, and riddled with bugs. Dotster used to have a decent system, that's apparently gone.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
DotBiz was right. Even though it says Domain Lock is $10, once you put it in your cart, then re-select it from a stupidly designed pull-down, the price changes to $0. You then have to agree to a new registration agreement, they you have to 'complete the purchase', then you find yourself 'logged out'! You have to log in again, then go to the name again, then you can click an UNLOCK link. Then you're completely logged out AGAIN, and have to log in and repeat the whole process for each and every name. After the tenth one, the shopping cart broke down completely and would no longer and 'domain lock' to the cart. After closing all browers I returned, logged in again, and was able to repeat the whole process for the 10th name.

This COULD NOT possibly be more user UNfriendly. 30 minutes to removed locks from 10 names that I did not set and did not want. Worst shopping cart design I have ever seen, and riddled with bugs. Dotster used to have a decent system, that's apparently gone.

their customer support is pretty bad as well.. takes forever to get a response from them

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:

Transferlock is free
NameSafe is $10 per year

for future ref on bulk changes...nameservers
,contact info, auto renew on/off etc
1. Log-on
2. click on "View a complete list of all domains in your account " or " Bulk Services/Updates" under account info if you only have a few names
3.put a check mark in any domain that needs "services"
4.click manage domains

jim

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
GoD@ddy does the same - if not worse - crap for pushing domains to another account. Of course in the process of 5 pages they try to sell you about 100 different products and services.

I say, "NoDaddy!"

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
GoD@ddy does the same - if not worse - crap for pushing domains to another account. Of course in the process of 5 pages they try to sell you about 100 different products and services.

I say, "NoDaddy!"

You just have to click on the 'experienced user' button and you can skip all these offers.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
where exactly is this 'expreienced button' located?

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
where exactly is this 'expreienced button' located?

Next to the "Sucker" button :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom