Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Extinction of Domaining World in 5 Years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainMentor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Extinction of Domaining World in five to ten Years time...will this happen?

Hmm, that's what my concern.

In the high tech world in 5-10 years time, when we wish to go to a website, we just say the website. If we say "Dn Forum" then we will go to DnForum website. If we say "Dn Journal" then we will go to DnJournal website.

Are we looking for "dogs training"? We just visit Yahoo or Google and say "dogs training" and bang! A list of websites about dogs training listed.

What if this really comes true, that means no Type-in traffic. No search volume recorded by Google.
Lots of domainers will sell their domains, but no one wants them. Sex.com will be for sale for $100 but no one wants ;)

Any thoughts on this?

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, if I say Sex, then I would expect to go to sex.com... I don't base my earnings on type in traffic, so I'm not too worried if your scenario happens.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of other reasons domains have value other than type in traffic (branding, credibility, etc.)

It is not like most 2-3 word .COM or alternative extensions have massive type in traffic now.

Brad

Aluminum Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Per your scenario speak-in replaces type-in with similar results ...
direct traffic: "go to dogs training" > dogstraining.com
search traffic: "find dogs training" > list of relevant sites with dogstraining.com ranked same as today
referral traffic: click > dogstraining.com

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The scenario is plausible but not likely.

There still needs to be a destination point.

Now, whether or not you or the consumer is able to see a URL to what that destination resolves to is unknown.

I think the next 5 - 10 years will be another massive internet makeover.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domains will always be needed as long as there is an internet - just like phone numbers. some technologies can find a way around domains in some cases, but it won't do away with domains totally. I always think of the case of a new business that has just gone online with their new website - how do they tell the world where to find them?

if you have a phone, you need a phone number for people to reach you. if you have a website, you need a domain name so people can find you. 5 and 10 years ago some were saying domains would be gone by now, and look how necessary they still are.

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what?

DomainMentor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domains will always be needed as long as there is an internet - just like phone numbers. some technologies can find a way around domains in some cases, but it won't do away with domains totally. I always think of the case of a new business that has just gone online with their new website - how do they tell the world where to find them?

if you have a phone, you need a phone number for people to reach you. if you have a website, you need a domain name so people can find you. 5 and 10 years ago some were saying domains would be gone by now, and look how necessary they still are.

Yes agreed with you. But who knows Google the giant will come up with a new technology lol

Dirty SEO

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that concept is already here. Google has an eye on this one...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

The engines are already attempting to answer search queries on site without any credit.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Extinction of Domaining World in five to ten Years time...will this happen?

Hmm, that's what my concern.

In the high tech world in 5-10 years time, when we wish to go to a website, we just say the website. If we say "Dn Forum" then we will go to DnForum website. If we say "Dn Journal" then we will go to DnJournal website.

Are we looking for "dogs training"? We just visit Yahoo or Google and say "dogs training" and bang! A list of websites about dogs training listed.

What if this really comes true, that means no Type-in traffic. No search volume recorded by Google.
Lots of domainers will sell their domains, but no one wants them. Sex.com will be for sale for $100 but no one wants ;)

Any thoughts on this?
We have heard that stuff for ten years (at least).
In fact, you don't need to use a directory when you want to call somebody and already know their direct number, or have it bookmarked.
It's the same with domains.

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes agreed with you. But who knows Google the giant will come up with a new technology lol

maybe yes, maybe no. so far there is nothing on the horizon to indicate domains will disappear.

it's more scary to imagine the internet without domain names (no email, having to use strings of numbers to get to websites, etc.). now that is a scary thought.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

even Google 'the giant' needs a domain name for people to get there, and for them to operate on.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, if I say Sex, then I would expect to go to sex.com... I don't base my earnings on type in traffic, so I'm not too worried if your scenario happens.

I'm sure everyone is going to want to say "sex" while they're sitting at Starbuck's drinking their lattes :D

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
more and more content will rule.

Generic domains will be worth less due to parking sucking.

Word of mouth (twitter and facebook) will bring you traffic and then content quality will determine if they bookmark you or not.

Craigslist is a good example of giving the content people want...the rest will take care of its self.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who is so lazy that they can't type in a search query? The voice activated search thing sounds like it would be more of an annoyance than anything else. You say "best relishes" and Google gives search results for "sex fetishes". I don't think this would appeal to most people.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who is so lazy that they can't type in a search query? The voice activated search thing sounds like it would be more of an annoyance than anything else. You say "best relishes" and Google gives search results for "sex fetishes". I don't think this would appeal to most people.
Agree, sounds like a gadget. Voice recognition technology has been available for years, many mobile phones have that feature but it does not seem to be the standard way of dialing numbers yet.
Why would it happen with domain names.

BTW, lots of 'end of domaining' threads lately :)

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Imagine regional accents, think about people slurring their words when tired (or otherwise)!

There is a myriad of reasons why such technology (which in a basic form is already today in use with speech recognition software) will be restricted in its usage. Imagine in the computer centre of a university library, perhaps hundreds of users online at anyone time, all trying to get to the sites they want to get to, suddenly someone with a loud voice 6 desks away says 'deactivated nuclear proteins', those looking up Shakespeare, watching the latest pre-release movie clip, taking part in an online tutorial, or just seeing the latest sales reports on DNJournal will all have their pages changed to a biochemistry site!

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...sounds like a gadget...

Remember the Kat Wand? Radio Shack gave the things away,... still have mine - never used it. This device was to eliminate search.

People dig the personal attachment of the keypad which is why texting, blackberries, email, etc. continue to be so popular.

Dirty SEO

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, sounds like a gadget. Voice recognition technology has been available for years, many mobile phones have that feature but it does not seem to be the standard way of dialing numbers yet.
Why would it happen with domain names.

BTW, lots of 'end of domaining' threads lately :)

Agreed... I've been seeing "the end of .com / domaining / the internet as we know it..." threads since the 1990's. :lol:

But don't take my word for it... If you have some great domains you want to sell at fire sale prices... Please PM me.

Get out now... save yourselves! :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom