Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Extinction of Domaining World in 5 Years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatApe

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed Google looks set to dominate voice search just as they dominated the old text based web search.

Which means that ranking in google will still be vital and if a good domain helps you get well ranked then Domains are not going away.

Voice search is not the big threat to domains IMO.

Bigger threats are things like Facebook and Second Life. If any Walled-Garden or Closed World solution gains enough popularity to supplant the WWW then domains are history.

Until that day as long as people use the web there will be Domains...

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bigger threats are things like Facebook and Second Life.

Popularity is one thing. Having the means to support a structure as complicated as the DNS and the finances to convince the masses at large to switch is another.

As it stands right now, Second Life would have no chance in hell to be a threat to domains. For one, all their processing power goes into rendering the world itself. Secondly, any type of programming one could do in Second Life is severely limited. Third, their goal is to provide a unique means of human interaction, not change the way people find and view websites.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The situation you are describing OP.. typing in what you are searching for... already exists today. If that was gonna destroy the domaining industry it already would have.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think what needs to be stressed above all else is HOW we access the internet is changing.

All searches, whether type in or voice-prompted, the results have to live and reside somewhere.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Voice recognition software has been around since Dragon Systems was founded in 1982. While the software has improved considerabvly since then it is still way too inaccurate for ME to use. I find it takes more time to go back and change what it messed up than to type it from the start.

-=DCG=-

I can vouch for that first-hand. From using Google Voice I see lots of word recognition errors. It would seem to be unreliable recognizing the correct domain name.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for that first-hand. From using Google Voice I see lots of word recognition errors. It would seem to be unreliable recognizing the correct domain name.
Google Voice is essentially a transcription service.

Someone calls you, you don't answer, Google Voice acts like a message recorder, then attempts to transcribe what the person said.

It is horrible. Anyone with an accent or speaks fast or background noise and it is up in the air what was said.

Fortunately, there is a playback option to hear what the message really was.

For transcribing, at the present, it sucks.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Searching and navigating...
in other parts of the world ...
is already diff from what we do here.
Par example, in Japan nobody types the url.
they do their shtick at the search bar...
or
they can point their cell or laptop to the graphic url representation...

DomainMentor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Searching and navigating...
in other parts of the world ...
is already diff from what we do here.
Par example, in Japan nobody types the url.
they do their shtick at the search bar...
or
they can point their cell or laptop to the graphic url representation...

We never know the future...Japan has started the point and click..
Maybe in the future, more advance technology dont require us to type anything ;)

pioneers

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The whole DNS sytem will be gone? come now.

What will become of email?

There is no google without the DNS. right?

sm

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The whole DNS sytem will be gone? come now.

What will become of email?

There is no google without the DNS. right?

sm

It's perfectly feasible to phase it out over the course of a year or two to a more suitable system.

Hey, it happened to analog television... so why can't it happen to the internet?

pioneers

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
analog and digital are a delivery system the channels are still there.

The total of DNS = the internet (surfing from my domain to yours to google.com and then to DNforum.com to the next domain to the next domain. content may be served in other formats within a Domain Name Server...

Every email address (domain) currently on a mail server will be replaced?..

This I would love to hear about it.

sm

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
voice recognition is already a dinosaur,
long live the eye blink thingy

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Extinction of Domaining World in five to ten Years time...will this happen?

Hmm, that's what my concern.

In the high tech world in 5-10 years time, when we wish to go to a website, we just say the website. If we say "Dn Forum" then we will go to DnForum website. If we say "Dn Journal" then we will go to DnJournal website.

Are we looking for "dogs training"? We just visit Yahoo or Google and say "dogs training" and bang! A list of websites about dogs training listed.

What if this really comes true, that means no Type-in traffic. No search volume recorded by Google.
Lots of domainers will sell their domains, but no one wants them. Sex.com will be for sale for $100 but no one wants ;)

Any thoughts on this?

My Motorola Droid does this already and very well. It does however convert the voice to text then to google.
On the computer I still type URLs in the URL box not google so mabye I am old school.

xrvel

Hi there !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the first time i knew internet (about on 1999), there was already Yahoo, set as default homepage on my browser. But i used type in to find out about something. A natural instinct for new internet users, i guess

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forget voice command Im waiting on thought command :smilewinkgrin:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think in 20 yrs time, there will be probes that you can stick onto your head (Like EEG leads) and it can detect your thoughts (brainwave). Then the computer does the job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom