Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Extinction of Domaining World in 5 Years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who is so lazy that they can't type in a search query? The voice activated search thing sounds like it would be more of an annoyance than anything else. You say "best relishes" and Google gives search results for "sex fetishes". I don't think this would appeal to most people.

I've been trying Google voice on my Droid and it works pretty good for short keywords like "hotel" "taxi" etc etc. It is hit and miss with complex words and phrases. I get "best relations" results when I just tried "Best relishes" even after 4 tries. But then I tried Best relish and it got it first try.

I use it for long phrases on my phone like "how to make the best pickle relish". For this phrase it got it exactly right. For others it totally fails. And for some searches it doesn't get the phrase completely correct but it is close enough to get good results. The results were much better than I expected.

For my shopping list app I use voice most of the time to add items out of convenience. For this function the voice recog has been very accurate with only a couple mistakes out of 50 or so entries.

I look forward to better voice recognition to expand my use for all aspects of text creation. Obviously there are exceptions like if you were in a store looking up information on "hemorrhoid creams" you may want to type that in instead. But from what I can see there will come a day soon where most searches will be done by voice.

You can use it for domain addresses too but you still need an address to go to. There are many companies with the same name with very different products and similar names with similar products so a distinct address is necessary to get the right one. So far domains work pretty darn good for that. Voice recognition is just another way of using the domain address and it is not a replacement for it.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you develop and have good content your type in traffic will be the smallest piece of your pie.

What you're suggesting is a verbal search engine. You say dog training, will it take you to dogtraining.com or to a list of search results? How would it know you want dogtraining.com and not find a dog trainer in your area?

I'm not worried.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol can you imagine people searching for adult terms outloud? typing is much more private....that won't change however while i could see it come to a point where you just type in a word and get directed to a site but i don't see why whoever owns the .com wouldn't get this. like someone else said, phones have changed so much over the past 100 years but one thing has remained a constant, phone numbers. i see domains much in the same way.

DTalk

DomainMan
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
suddenly someone with a loud voice 6 desks away says 'deactivated nuclear proteins', those looking up shakespeare, watching the latest pre-release movie clip, taking part in an online tutorial, or just seeing the latest sales reports on dnjournal will all have their pages changed to a biochemistry site!

hahahahahahaha.......Yes, there'd be mayhem...!!

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we don't need domains now, they are just easier thats all

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been trying Google voice on my Droid and it works pretty good for short keywords like "hotel" "taxi" etc etc. It is hit and miss with complex words and phrases. I get "best relations" results when I just tried "Best relishes" even after 4 tries. But then I tried Best relish and it got it first try.

I use it for long phrases on my phone like "how to make the best pickle relish". For this phrase it got it exactly right. For others it totally fails. And for some searches it doesn't get the phrase completely correct but it is close enough to get good results. The results were much better than I expected.

For my shopping list app I use voice most of the time to add items out of convenience. For this function the voice recog has been very accurate with only a couple mistakes out of 50 or so entries.

I look forward to better voice recognition to expand my use for all aspects of text creation. Obviously there are exceptions like if you were in a store looking up information on "hemorrhoid creams" you may want to type that in instead. But from what I can see there will come a day soon where most searches will be done by voice.

You can use it for domain addresses too but you still need an address to go to. There are many companies with the same name with very different products and similar names with similar products so a distinct address is necessary to get the right one. So far domains work pretty darn good for that. Voice recognition is just another way of using the domain address and it is not a replacement for it.
I've been playing with my Google Nexus voice search as well.

You provided a very good assessment but something I want to add.

Now, more than ever, it is location, location, location. As Draggar pointed out, dog training...how, what, who? The WHERE feature is the first equation solved.

Using the phones location gps or whatever network I happen to be on at the time, if I say Dog Training in North Carolina and Draggar says Dog Training in Florida, we will both NOT GET the same results but will get results based on where we are at.

So location is paramount. As for the particulars, that may take another voice or manual search.

But lets say you do not do a manual search...lets stick with voice.

The results returned ARE NOT going to be affected by the domain extension. Whoever ranks highest, well they rank highest and will be displayed accordingly based on ranking.

That is another reason why I think metatagging is important and (someone will correct me if I am wrong) there has now been a complete 360 coming back to meta-tagging importance?

The internet is evolving right before our eyes.

This title of the thread is where domains will be in 5 years.

In 10 years, don't be surprised if it is LANGUAGE AND LOCATION BASED putting even more emphasis of foreign languages and the spoken word.

This brings IDN and ccTLD's even more so into the equation.

Still, there will need to be a PLACE (address) that all these commands land on.

So, web sites will NOT go away.

But I think there will be a huge drop in preference of extension over another as it will all be based on relevant content.

No matter what extension you own, if it is parked then it will not be relevant and may not even register in the results.

Lets face it, browsers and search engines are getting smarter at knowing WHAT people want and by doing so, can equally measure what people DO NOT want in their searches.

Already we see a couple of start ups that is able to recognize a parked page or adsense ladden page and block it from the results.

Last edited:

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Voice recognition does not work,look how long we have it with the phones,i don't think anybody i know uses it.........

Let them waste their money on developing,it will end up being another wap..........Trust me !

@dotcom........i will buy all your generics .com's for $100 each considering you don't think they are relevant, sell them now before they are worth nothing ;-)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Voice recognition software has been around since Dragon Systems was founded in 1982. While the software has improved considerabvly since then it is still way too inaccurate for ME to use. I find it takes more time to go back and change what it messed up than to type it from the start.

-=DCG=-

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Voice recognition does not work,look how long we have it with the phones,i don't think anybody i know uses it.........

Let them waste their money on developing,it will end up being another wap..........Trust me !

@dotcom........i will buy all your generics .com's for $100 each considering you don't think they are relevant, sell them now before they are worth nothing ;-)
That was for voice prompts to CALL DOG. (call someone).

Try some of the new smart phones. It is a huge step in the right direction.

As an aside, IF YOU ARE ON DROID, try the Google Goggles app...take an image of something and it can give you an idea of what, who, where
But the best part about it...take an image of a barcode and it will tell you where you can get the same item cheaper and you can even order it from that link on the phone.

Bulldog - not selling my generic names...DEVELOPING to make them relevant.

I am parring down my portfolio to make it more manageable.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Dragon Systems was founded in 1982. While the software has improved considerabvly since then it is still way too inaccurate for ME to use. I find it takes more time to go back and change what it messed up than to type it from the start.

-=DCG=-
Unless things have drastically changed, that still sucks. I was tempted to order version 10 when TigerDirect had a recent sale for @29.99. But I passed.

D

Deleted member 111831

First I've heard of vocal internet usage. I don't see that catching on in a big way. People using their computer at office or school are around others who they would be bothering by constantly speaking into their computer or may not want knowing what they are doing on their computer. Also I wouldn't enjoy this and I imagine others wouldn't either. I want to type things, not speak to my computer.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, can't stop progress.

Agree that it would be a confusing situation.

But I can see a classroom of the future being much like distance education now. One teacher, thousands registered and tuning in.

Let's face it, there needs to be creative and unorthodox thinking to solve many of the issues today. Whether a kid is in the classroom physically or sitting at a computer at home, interaction with the computer (almost like a skype call) is indeed being refined.

With the Google Nexus One, I've had pretty good recognition of vocal search requests and coming up with choices.

As for classes online, even though all my studies are well planned and orgainized in an orderly fashion. Meanwhile, there is the option to join in chatrooms and discussion threads with other students taking the same class. Personally, I choose to not participate in this. Yes, it would require putting on headphones with a microphone. For me, its just an annoyance. But I do see that becoming the norm in the future.

The bottom line, if the information is to be found and searched for by either typing or by voice prompts, that information has to live somewhere and that somewhere is a URL.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
We all know the world will end in 2012 so no worries.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While a more effective, and possibly more attractive manner of website access may be developed, you have to look at it from a business perspective...

All domains go through ICANN. They earn residual fees off of domain registrations and effectively control the internet as a whole.

This is how it is, how it has been, and how it always will be. They have no reason to give up such substantial control, nor consistent revenue, especially when the internet is only getting started with its impact on society, thereby affording even more revenue and control.

Sure, I've got personal opinions pertaining to a complete overhaul of the Internet and its regulation for security's sake, among other reasons... but ICANN holds all the cards here, and I don't believe they intend to give that up anytime soon.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but ICANN holds all the cards here, and I don't believe they intend to give that up anytime soon.
They may not have a choice in the matter in the near or near distant future.

The Department of Commerce has no love for ICANN.

The Chinese is developing an internet infrastructure and could quite possibly break away to establish its own internet and root servers.

Neither of these are hypothetical situations.

China has been very vocal about their dissatisfaction with ICANN, IDN implementation, and has proposed many actual events (earthquakes and submarine cutting cables) as justification for having their own internet.

As for the DoC, well...no one wants to see a US based entity take over from ICANN.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i only see the internet and domaining industry getting bigger. with the increase in internet use, social networks and smart phone/apps I see names becoming more rare and more valuable.
If you were a betting man and you thought voice would take over i would be buying into typo's and slang words (not everyone speaks clearly)

bobovia

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Figures...guess i'll have to find something else to waste my time.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's just getting started. Haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg. Domaining will come to end someday but not in 5 years.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i see the domaining industry as mainstream as the stock exchange in the future - right now we are at the "overther counter stage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom