Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Feedback on New Site Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
duke looks good...

for your autographs if you are offering a finders service as well I would recommend speaking to my best friends family business www.2000group.uk.com as they could get you almost anything you needed. it would be retail prices but they are fairly priced so you could add a mark up for your profit. they may also be able to ship direct to your customer if need be.

they are very professional and fairly priced plus i am 100% sure that the autographs they sell are genuine (i have known their family since i was 5) and that is something that is hard to establish in that market...

if you do ever use them tell them 'chick' recommended them to you. it wont get you a discount or favourable service but i might get a kick back if i'm lucky :D

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Duke:

I am using a NEC P1150 CRT, it is 21 inches.
Set at 800X600, I too had to scroll right.

You have a great layout on all your sites. I am jealous.

If I was really pushed to make a recommendation rather than a compliment, it would be trivial. I guess the blue logo and earth colored site are not the mix I see on albums – too boring. Try something that offends, that way buyers will see that you really know your stuff.

Good luck,
William

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by William9
Hi Duke:

I am using a NEC P1150 CRT, it is 21 inches.
Set at 800X600, I too had to scroll right.

You have a great layout on all your sites. I am jealous.

If I was really pushed to make a recommendation rather than a compliment, it would be trivial. I guess the blue logo and earth colored site are not the mix I see on albums – too boring. Try something that offends, that way buyers will see that you really know your stuff.

Good luck,
William

Thanks for your note William. I can't believe you are running 800 X 600 resolution on a 21" monitor. I have never heard of that in my life! The letters on the screen would all be like 1-INCH high!! Do you have reallly bad vision or something? :)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a very depressing thread for me.....

When I was just a member - the Lounge was my main hangout. I hardly can get in here anymore it seems. :sad:

The site is looking really nice Duke. Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner - or I would have commented sooner.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke asked: "The letters on the screen would all be like 1-INCH high!! Do you have reallly bad vision or something? "

Duke: I have incredible vision! But, friends also ask me how I see anything on the monitor! Huh? Actually, I never throw anything out – bags of trash block both sides of the monitor. In addition, I cannot get any closer than 7 feet from it because trash bags blocks my way. So the letters really appear small.

If you know anyone that is doing some sort of medical study of used bandages, I have every one I every used for the last 50 years. In addition, I have 30 years of Stouffers cardboard box covers from their microwave line, etc. I have to walk on over 100 leisure suits, just to get in the front door - But the real horrible horrible shame is - I never dropped the E domains that went out long before leisure suits – eg. E-commerce.US

Go to go – it will take me one hour to push my way to the bathroom. I forgot, the letters like this L are exactly ¼ inch.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation William! :laugh:

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice CLEAN site there Duke.

Don't forget to look at it through aol. I force myself to stay to aol cause I know that's where the majority of my market comes from.

Good luck Doc

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. I have no way to look at it on AOL - I left there quite awhile ago. Are you seeing anything weird viewing it via AOL (they used to use Internet Explorer but I think they went back to the Netscape browser when they bought them)?

In any case, the site should look right on any monitor that is running at its standard resolution. The only situations I have heard where people had to scroll right are from people running large monitors at low resolutions (i.e. a 17" monitor at 800 X 600 which causes you to lose about 30% of your screen visibility). Can't do anything about that of course.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke:

I hope I haven’t mislead you as to what is missing from you site on my 21” 800X600 setup. I am only losing the left side (stage right) of Britney. That is at the letter S in Spears.
I calculate it to be 14.28%. In addition, it is hardly a loss as I can project what Britney’s left half looks like by looking at her right half.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by William9
Duke:

I hope I haven’t mislead you as to what is missing from you site on my 21” 800X600 setup. I am only losing the left side (stage right) of Britney. That is at the letter S in Spears.
I calculate it to be 14.28%. In addition, it is hardly a loss as I can project what Britney’s left half looks like by looking at her right half.

You got that right William! The best way to design is always a quandary. No single design displays perfectly on all browsers and monitor set-ups so you have to shoot for the highest percentage possible. This design will expand and contract to fill 100% of the screen at the standard resolutions on all monitors. A lot of sites just go with a straight 800X600 pixels no matter what (Ebay for one does this). The problem with that is that on the larger monitors prevalent today, that leaves a boatload of empty space on the screen. Anyhow - thanks for your feedback and for god's sake pick up those leisure suits and get them dry cleaned. I understand they will be coming back into style soon. :)

BDM

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice site! However, like Kingdon, I found I had to scroll right (using IE 5.1 for the Mac). Fortunately, your design makes it inviting enough for that not to present a real problem for surfers like me though.

All the best!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BDM
Nice site! However, like Kingdon, I found I had to scroll right (using IE 5.1 for the Mac). Fortunately, your design makes it inviting enough for that not to present a real problem for surfers like me though.

All the best!

Thanks for looking BDM. What screen size and resolution are you running? Kingdon's problem was that he is running a 15" screen resolution (800 X 600) on a 17" screen - that costs you about 30% of your screen real estate and forces you to scroll to see the whole screen.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Thanks Doc. I have no way to look at it on AOL - I left there quite awhile ago. Are you seeing anything weird viewing it via AOL (they used to use Internet Explorer but I think they went back to the Netscape browser when they bought them)?

Hey Duke AOL runs IE. The only way I know of checking how aol looks compared to IE or Netscape is to run them side by side. I have found that they are different. I've gotten frustrated trying to take a few people on a tour of my sites before, and they are definately diff. It is VERY important me thinks. Doc

BDM

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duke: I'm using a 15" monitor with 800 x 600 resolution.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BDM
Duke: I'm using a 15" monitor with 800 x 600 resolution.

Thanks for the note BDM! That throws me a bit as you shouldn't have to scroll when your screen size and resolution match like that. I'll poke around in my pages ans see if I can find out why that's happening. Thanks for the tip!

BDM

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If it would help you for me to be more specific, Duke, the page opens with just the word THIS (as in This Month's Special) on the right. When I scroll over to see the content at right I obscure the same amount on left - I see only the letters NT on the end of the word Payment, for instance.

My IE browser is open as wide on my 15" screen as possible, so it does not appear to be a configuration problem I've created at my end.

Good luck with any fix you go for!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Real! Now I'm Really confused. Others running 800 X 600 on a 17" have to scroll just a bit but you don't. I've checked it on a couple of locations besides here (all on 17" monitors at 1024 X 768) and no need to scroll anywhere, either in IE or Netscape.

Oh well, as I said before no site looks the same on all of the various monitors, browsers and resolutions out there. Fortunately for people who do have to make a short side scroll they only need to do it once. Since the frames on the left and right never change as you move through the site, once you check it out no need to keep doing it. All of the key new inventory data is in the middle of the page. I will get under the hood and poke around a little more though! I also need to fire up my notebook and see how it looks on a smaller 13" screen. Thanks for all of the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom