Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Forum search doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No matter what I search for using the forum search (top right corner) I get the error message:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

It would be nice if you looked into it one day. ;) Thanks!

Upvote 0

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tested with Firefox and Chrome and it works fine. Are you using IE?

Nope, using Firefox 3.6.6.

Edit: I see now that only some terms doesn't work. E.g. if you search for "LL.net" then it returns zero results. It might have some issues with special characters like '.'?

I

impactadmin

The search does seem to be working in all browsers. The message you are receiving is either because your search length is to broad or too short.

Try some different search keywords and see if it works for you.
I have gone through all the search settings and there is nothing more we can add to the system that may help.

ll.net doesnt work but if you try lll.net it does work.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dnforum search has never fully worked, and the type of browser does not matter.

when this came up before I gave specific examples, and the search "length' was made longer - a bit. But its bizarre to me that there is still a search length restriction, since domains sold on the forum are sometimes longer than this restriction. why have any restriction? or at least make it 64 characters (which i believe is the max length of a domain name).

And beyond that, it just does not work. There is only one way to search dnforum, and it is go to go google, for example: if you want to find posts for the domain MedicalRecords.org, you will not find any using dnforum search. I tried it twice today.

But you can find it easily if you go to a google search box; syntax is:

MedicalRecords.org site:dnforum.com

My recommendation to people is to use only the google way; it will save you time. I am very busy so its frustrating to use dnforum search when it often does not work.

As long as I am posting, herre is another problem: We used to see a persons iTrader rating showing in their PM. Then it disappeared, I pointed this out and it was put back; and now its gone again. Its frustrating because, for me at least, 100% of the time when I want to do a itrader it is from a PM after having bought a domain. So why has it disappeared, again? You have to click around a lot more to get to someones itrader. Why not just have it show, where it is the most useful?

Kevin

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I go to my profile page and click Find all posts by mvl the result page says:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

I get the same message for other searches.

Browser: FF3.6.6 on Windows Vista

I

impactadmin

I am currently rebuilding the entire forum search index. Its been a few hours but should hopefully solve some of these issues.

The search issue though has more to do with vbulletin as a whole. The search system is not as flexible in their upgrades as it used to be.

I

impactadmin

dnforum search has never fully worked, and the type of browser does not matter.

when this came up before I gave specific examples, and the search "length' was made longer - a bit. But its bizarre to me that there is still a search length restriction, since domains sold on the forum are sometimes longer than this restriction. why have any restriction? or at least make it 64 characters (which i believe is the max length of a domain name).

And beyond that, it just does not work. There is only one way to search dnforum, and it is go to go google, for example: if you want to find posts for the domain MedicalRecords.org, you will not find any using dnforum search. I tried it twice today.

But you can find it easily if you go to a google search box; syntax is:

MedicalRecords.org site:dnforum.com

My recommendation to people is to use only the google way; it will save you time. I am very busy so its frustrating to use dnforum search when it often does not work.

As long as I am posting, herre is another problem: We used to see a persons iTrader rating showing in their PM. Then it disappeared, I pointed this out and it was put back; and now its gone again. Its frustrating because, for me at least, 100% of the time when I want to do a itrader it is from a PM after having bought a domain. So why has it disappeared, again? You have to click around a lot more to get to someones itrader. Why not just have it show, where it is the most useful?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The search index has been completed. I think searches should work a lot better now.

Also VB allows you to use wildcards.

For example when I search ll.net nothing shows up but if you do ll.net* it shows some results.
Also I searched: MedicalRecords.org and it did pull the posts correctly.

I have also increased the maximum characters to search from 25 to 65 characters.

The itrader in the PM box is being put back.
When there is an upgrade to vb it seems to get overwritten.

Let me know if the search works better for you.

Thanks
Huseyin,

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I brought this up a while ago, but even when I search for "3d", there are still no results. Is there some other way to search for this, with google or some other search engine? I'd prefer all results descending.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess that because it's full text search, keywords having fewer than 4 characters are not accounted for.

Try this in google:
Code:
site:www.dnforum.com 3D
:)

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ive also noticed over the years the search function never really worked... most times it will bring up the most irrelevant results and skip threads that had been active even that day.

I

impactadmin

The search box supports a minimum of 2 characters. That is what I have it set for.

Try this and let me know if these results are the ones you would expect:

3d*

Try that in the search box and post back.

Thanks
Huseyin,

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Search works better now but I may still stick with google since i get it right away for sure.
In my example for "MedicalRecords.org" it seems to work but with google you can get
more results, e.g. you can see posts that have a discussion of the phrase "medical records".

And: 3d* produces no search results for me. It is Tuesday, 1:15pm right now.

if search is built up an index, which has to be manually run, then it will never be reliable or timely enough.
You could run the index build every hour with a CRON job.

Kevin

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could run the index build every hour with a CRON job.

That would be imposssible since it bogs the system down and takes about 10 hours to run once.

-=DCG=-

I

impactadmin

The search index was redone to reindex all threads and posts again since the last major upgrade.

The reindex is just for threads and posts that may have got mixed up when the upgrade was done.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I saw a post today about a domain Hydrolyzed.net

Later i wanted to find it. I searched in the search box. It found it; good;
But it first brought up a post from 3-22-2010. Why would it bring up an
older post first? that is an issue because, sometimes there are a lot of results
in a search and its not clear what all those results are; its not helping when
the post i want is mixed in with tons of older posts. Shouldnt the search
results be in date order, starting with the most recent? I cant think of any
other more needed ordering.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i searched again, just now, and do not see the same order that you are seeing. so that itself is a bad sign.

Search is complicated, when you consider dates. If the OP had a domain in it, but someone later posts in the thread,
then what date is used in search?

Please tell me how the search results are supposed to be organized. is it by date?

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
searched for 'org' and got zero results, shouldn't there be thousands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom