Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Global Warming News

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NOPE... the global warming camp has directly attributed the severe 2005 hurricane season and destruction of New Orleans as 'proof' of global warming.

Therefore, the LACK of hurricanes is, indeed PROOF of global cooling. Inless, of course, you are just playing with junk science and semantics.

dmtalk - the articles I provided links to earlier directly started that there should be an increase in "severe" hurricanes, so I was not considering the small ones.

Domain Days 2024

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
imho...

1) global warming is happening to some extent

2) humans may have a hand in causing it

3) trying to speculate on what the results of this will be, and trying to make decision based on this is at best a shot in the dark. I don’t trust the weatherman to give me a 6 day forecast – why should I trust these predictions about oceans melting in 25 years? Especially after the previous scares about “running out of oil”, “population bomb” etc etc.

I’m all for less pollution and alternative energy, but don’t ruin economies based on “theories”.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Global temps are for real, and gloabal temp say we are in global warming.

Let put it this way, the USA had record high temps all this summer. Are we dreaming that up, the ice caps are melting for a fact. Just because you can't under stand this stuff, does not mean it's not happening.

People love risking others lifes, and damages to them it just don't move them to do anything. Untill you or yours died, or lose anything you will not get it. Think about this.....

The ave house hold puts 12 tons of CO2 into the air, 12 tons per year let per house hold. Just how much do you think it woudl take, to make global warming well times 12 tons how many house holds in the USA. And you got one big number of tons of CO2, we are putting into the air.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
( Wrong. Most ice caps are thickening - and that is a fact. )

It's people that talk like you, that make me pray we can not ever get to other planets to live. Humans seem to not be able to help them selfs, they would destory other planets if left to do so. We have been intrusted with earth, but yet look what we are doing to it.

It's, Very Sad Indeed.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
( Wrong. Most ice caps are thickening - and that is a fact. )

It's people that talk like you, that make me pray we can not ever get to other planets to live. Humans seem to not be able to help them selfs, they would destory other planets if left to do so. We have been intrusted with earth, but yet look what we are doing to it.

It's, Very Sad Indeed.

I'm using scientific sources not regurgitated journalistic jingoism. For instance:

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V9/N45/C2.jsp

H

H2FC

I'm using scientific sources not regurgitated journalistic jingoism. For instance:

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V9/N45/C2.jsp

Hello Ed30.....I've taken the time to do a little check on the site you referenced as your "scientific source" and found some interesting facts. The site was founded and is run by the Idso family of Arizona. They are strong skeptics of the global warming theory with their funding coming from big oil (Exxonmobile) and The Western Fuels Association. It should be noted that their key supporting skeptical evidence has been proven invalid by modern science.

Here's more info...

Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change
The Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change is a non-profit organization based in Arizona. Its stated purpose is to "disseminate factual reports and sound commentary on new developments in the world-wide scientific quest to determine the climatic and biological consequences of the ongoing rise in the air's CO2 content." The center publishes CO2 Science Magazine.

The centre was founded and is run by Craig D Idso, son of Sherwood B Idso, and by Sherwood's (other) son Keith E Idso. They came from backgrounds in agriculture, and became involved in the debate over global warming through their study of plant response to elevated CO2 levels and carbon sequestration. The Center is generally critical of the position of the IPCC and is of a strongly skeptical bent - proclaiming There Has Been No Net Global Warming for the Past 70 Years. Note that two key claimed pieces of supporting evidence - the lack of warming in the Satellite temperature record and the balloon record - are no longer considered valid, following corrections to the observational data. The surface instrumental temperature record also shows warming over this period.

For some time in 2005, the website was no longer free, because grants and donations to the site had declined dramatically [1]. As of 2006 it is free again, though there is a "premium login".

The Center has links to the fossil fuel industry, both through personnel and funding.

According to Center for Science in the Public Interest, the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change received $10,000 from ExxonMobil in 2001. [2]

StopExxon.org reports Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change has received $65,000 from ExxonMobil between 1998 and 2003. [3]

The Center works with the Greening Earth Society, a front group of the Western Fuels Association.

Both Idso brothers have been on the Western Fuels payroll at one time or another.

The Center produces a weekly online science newsletter called CO2 Science Magazine.

Do you suppose the Idso's sole purpose of global warming skepticism is to support their livehood through grants, donations, and the income from their weekly magazine? I don't have proof of that but I have read that Big Oil pays a lot of money to their global warming skeptics.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The science is at least as accurate as that put forward by the man made warming proponents - who finances it is an irrelevance.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for every "exxon funded scientist" there is another scientist trying to get a grant, and you certainly don't get grants by saying that the sky isn't falling.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We should all be able to tell it's getting hotter, and that it rians harder and harder. More and more skin cancer then ever before, every time I go out for a day.

I can tell the sun green house rays on my skin, this has been the hottest summer on record for the USA. Here in PA we got the 2nd worst flood on record, and the worst from rain ever with billion in damages. CA fire are very bad, lands are going away pretty fast as well.

The heat has made things very bad, anyone that don't see it just don't want to. Here in PA they had to replace miles and miles of roads, from the flood because it rained for 4 years very hard. Many people lost thier houses, I had flood damages my self.

The feds did help, but as one guy said. They give him $5,000 for his house that could not be fixed, but the city made him take the house down and that cost $20,000. So he lost everything, and still has a bill for $20,000 to pay while he got only $5,000 help.

I think it's time for the gov't, to charge a $2 tax on every gallion of gas to help the people hurt by global warming. You will see how fast people change their minds on global warming, and I'm sure it's not going to be long before they have to charge a tax. People are suffering from global warming already, the gov't is paying out big money for global warming already.

How long to you think they will keep doing that, FEMA can't keep up with all the damages. Insurance keeps going up as well, most insurance will not cover flooding. Many home owners, can't get heir homes insured anymore so fema has to pay for it. Like I said people around here. did not get much help from fema, as fema is getting lower and lower on funds.

Time to tax gas I think, that will get people to see the problem pretty fast. The gov't can have a program, where they pay big oil not to get oil. Like they pay farmers, to leave parts of the farm empty. A big oil walfare system from the TAX, that would help insure big oil don't lose any money so it don't hurt the markets.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To the people talking about a massive rise in ocean levels due to melting glaciers (which actually aren't melting) - have you heard of Archimedes Law?

Yes, Ed, I'm certainly familiar with it.

When ice that was situated on LAND - i.e. a glacier - melts, the water flows into the ocean. If enough of it melts, then the ocean level rises.

When ice that was situated in the SEA - i.e. an iceberg or pack ice - melts, then it has no net effect on ocean levels, but does have an effect on salinity.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I can believe it, bush has been into big oil all his life.

H

H2FC

Government Sued Over Global Warming Report....
http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_318152514.html

Scientists fear global warming could bring longer, more expensive wildfire seasons....
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/2006-11-14-warming-wildfires_x.htm?csp=34

Global warming threatens 'large-scale' bird extinctions: report....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061114/sc_afp/unclimatewildlife_061114004937

Annan criticizes global warming doubters....
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-11-15-annan-climate-critique_x.htm?csp=34

Global Warming Increases Species Extinctions Worldwide....
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061115090040.htm

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great info on the links, thanks for posting them.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please post a link that scientifically proves man-made global warming exists beyond any doubt and you will have a new convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom