Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Gmail Account Hacked, I believe it is domainsponsors fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

damitssam

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

my primary email got hacked by someone and i have a pretty nifty idea of whose responsible behind the mess.... anyhow I dont even use domainsponsor that much these days, and then out of the blue i get an email from my "account manager" with a copy of an email of someone who SPOOFED my account email and told him to change it to some obscure email address he controls, whois showed the the damn domain the email was on was frieking one day old. amazingly the manager did it without sending an email back, and thus I learned he changed the email to the spoofed email guy.

Plain ridiculousness, the scammer then requested the lost password, probably got it, then changed my gmail account.

If anyone can help connect me through to someone in google would be greatly appreciated. currently change whois for all my names to my backup email account.

UGH! Domainsponsor should be more carefu then being sloppy and granting email change requests òn ping.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never EVER use a free email like google for your email address on whois.

DG

therunner

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another reason why I like private registration. I know private registration could be conspicuous for other, but sometime is good to play safe; a few dollars more but save you a lot money and problems later on. :eek:k:

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase that - never use a free email address as your registrar contact. I have my GMail for my WhoIs but my registrars have an unpublished email address for contact (password renewals etc..).

what is unpublished email?

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does it cost $$$? can I ask godaddy to set one up for me?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what is unpublished email?

most likely, he has an email addres for whois, and another for "usual" account info(password, renewals)

Exactly. The WhoIs contact for my domains is not the same as the one that I have for my registrar contact. If you look at my domains, draggar (at) gmail (dot) com is my contact but if you request a password reset / change from my registrars, it will not go to that email address, it will go to another one that only the registrars have (and my hosting company).

When I signed up with GoDaddy, I used the other email address as my contact and whenever I register a domain (or have one transferred in) I change it in the registration infromation to my gmail address.

does it cost $$$? can I ask godaddy to set one up for me?

I think GD allows you one email address per domain but if not, you can pay for an email service, I think it's $5 or $10 a year for 5 mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom