intro Greetings From Southern California

This thread is a member's introductory post on DNForum.com.

Charles Harmon

Travel Quiz Weekly | UiiR - Nostalgia Comics
Reaction score
I'm a well aged senior citizen wanting to get into the domaining business.

I'm new to domaining although I had some 700+ domain names in 2004-5. Many were catchy or semi-generic names I thought someone might want or like. Most I let expire over the years, a few I've sold, and about 100 or so I still have. Most of those I still have are about 10 years old. I used to make about $1000/yr. in parking revenue but that dried up several years ago. I thought about actively trying to sell domains back in 2005-6, but went on to other things...mostly to my regret.

Of the domains I've kept, mostly because I bought them to develop, I had about 70 sites on them, but due to insufficient time I have been letting the domains expire and taking a lot of the sites down. Over the years I have sold maybe a dozen domains and made at least $10,000 profit. However, I think most of those few sales were mostly luck since I never actively promoted them.

About a year ago I set up two sites to promote some of my domains along with many more from another source that I want to sell, but have been lax in actually promoting those sites, except on banner ads on some of my sites. Now I am ready to learn the ins and outs of investing in domains and hopefully making a profit in the process. I think this is the place to be to learn more about domains.

Charles

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Reaction score
Welcome to DNF! The first place I would start at would be DomainSherpa.com. They have some great video interviews, and they are all amazing. Check out Adam Dicker's 2 part interview about how to sell a domain name-- very helpful and interesting.

Charles Harmon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I already saw Adam's interviews on Domain Sherpa. I've also seen a lot of the other interviews there.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot here. I'm going thru the DFN College right now in my free time, which is not much.

mvl

Level 8
Reaction score
Although new to domaining you seem to have a background that should help you make a nice start, although the game has changed considerably in the past 10 years. Welcome aboard!

Charles Harmon

Reaction score
Thanks Katherine, mvl.

It really seems like a game when you have the situation with domains and the values of them where everyone can value a domain at a different value and there can be an enormous difference in value with all the valuations.

It's really amazing to me. Obviously there is more to it than what I just mentioned and that is the hard part, especially selling a domain at what one thinks is a fair price.

I wish I had started 10 years ago actively selling domains, but I guess it's better late than never.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Reaction score
Curious to know what kind of domains you have as a seasoned domainer. Welcome to the forum!

Charles Harmon

Reaction score
Domainbartender, I don't have any special type of domains. All except for a handful are ones I registered because I liked the name. At the time I thought other people might like them too and want them, but that has not been the case. I moved on to creating some websites for a lot of them, but it is now difficult to make money from them so I am taking most of them down and trying to sell some of those domains. I guess I was lucky because of the dozen or so domains I did sell I never promoted or advertised. It is just within the last couple of years at most I put up a website(s) to promote a few names. Even so I haven't promoted those websites either. We have a home business right now that's taking up almost all my time so I haven't had much time to spend on domains, but I have read a lot of the posts here to see what I can learn. I don't know which thread, but I listed a few of them in the appraisal section. If I can get rid of this business we have - alzheimersdaze dotcom / rcfe-rant - I can buy and sell domains once I know enough to make it a business.

RTM.net

Level 8
Reaction score
Welcome abord Charles, you're at (what I consider) one of the best forums for domainers.

Cheers

Charles Harmon

Reaction score
Thanks RedMustang.

I hope to learn something here and make a few bucks in the process.

Your name reminds me when I had a blue Mustang, a cherry 66' mustang which I bought for $1000 in 1980 and sold in 1982 for $3000. It was a great car, but I had 5 cars at the time, including a 1963 red Corvette Sting Ray. I kept the Sting Ray Corvette and sold all the rest so I could buy a house (it only had room for 2 cars, being on a steep hill) near Cal State Los Angeles. I ended up letting that deal fall through due to the changed circumstances of the old lady selling the house, but I still had my Vette.

By the way I will be driving back to St. Louis in mid August with my son in law. Drove there last year too, it's a nice drive from the LA area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom