Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

intro Greetings From Southern California

This thread is a member's introductory post on DNForum.com.

Charles Harmon

Travel Quiz Weekly | UiiR - Nostalgia Comics
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a well aged senior citizen wanting to get into the domaining business.

I'm new to domaining although I had some 700+ domain names in 2004-5. Many were catchy or semi-generic names I thought someone might want or like. Most I let expire over the years, a few I've sold, and about 100 or so I still have. Most of those I still have are about 10 years old. I used to make about $1000/yr. in parking revenue but that dried up several years ago. I thought about actively trying to sell domains back in 2005-6, but went on to other things...mostly to my regret.

Of the domains I've kept, mostly because I bought them to develop, I had about 70 sites on them, but due to insufficient time I have been letting the domains expire and taking a lot of the sites down. Over the years I have sold maybe a dozen domains and made at least $10,000 profit. However, I think most of those few sales were mostly luck since I never actively promoted them.

About a year ago I set up two sites to promote some of my domains along with many more from another source that I want to sell, but have been lax in actually promoting those sites, except on banner ads on some of my sites. Now I am ready to learn the ins and outs of investing in domains and hopefully making a profit in the process. I think this is the place to be to learn more about domains.

Charles

Domain summit 2024

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greeting Charles welcome to the Best Domain Forum in the world!!

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DNF! The first place I would start at would be DomainSherpa.com. They have some great video interviews, and they are all amazing. Check out Adam Dicker's 2 part interview about how to sell a domain name-- very helpful and interesting.

Charles Harmon

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I already saw Adam's interviews on Domain Sherpa. I've also seen a lot of the other interviews there.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot here. I'm going thru the DFN College right now in my free time, which is not much.

Cyger

Michael Cyger, Publisher of DNAcademy.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Charles!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to the game :)

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although new to domaining you seem to have a background that should help you make a nice start, although the game has changed considerably in the past 10 years. Welcome aboard!

Charles Harmon

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Katherine, mvl.

It really seems like a game when you have the situation with domains and the values of them where everyone can value a domain at a different value and there can be an enormous difference in value with all the valuations.

It's really amazing to me. Obviously there is more to it than what I just mentioned and that is the hard part, especially selling a domain at what one thinks is a fair price.

I wish I had started 10 years ago actively selling domains, but I guess it's better late than never.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Charles!

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Curious to know what kind of domains you have as a seasoned domainer. Welcome to the forum!

Charles Harmon

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domainbartender, I don't have any special type of domains. All except for a handful are ones I registered because I liked the name. At the time I thought other people might like them too and want them, but that has not been the case. I moved on to creating some websites for a lot of them, but it is now difficult to make money from them so I am taking most of them down and trying to sell some of those domains. I guess I was lucky because of the dozen or so domains I did sell I never promoted or advertised. It is just within the last couple of years at most I put up a website(s) to promote a few names. Even so I haven't promoted those websites either. We have a home business right now that's taking up almost all my time so I haven't had much time to spend on domains, but I have read a lot of the posts here to see what I can learn. I don't know which thread, but I listed a few of them in the appraisal section. If I can get rid of this business we have - alzheimersdaze dotcom / rcfe-rant - I can buy and sell domains once I know enough to make it a business.

Charles Harmon

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks RedMustang.

I hope to learn something here and make a few bucks in the process.

Your name reminds me when I had a blue Mustang, a cherry 66' mustang which I bought for $1000 in 1980 and sold in 1982 for $3000. It was a great car, but I had 5 cars at the time, including a 1963 red Corvette Sting Ray. I kept the Sting Ray Corvette and sold all the rest so I could buy a house (it only had room for 2 cars, being on a steep hill) near Cal State Los Angeles. I ended up letting that deal fall through due to the changed circumstances of the old lady selling the house, but I still had my Vette.

By the way I will be driving back to St. Louis in mid August with my son in law. Drove there last year too, it's a nice drive from the LA area.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators