Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hello. Develop, park or sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oao14

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I bought a domain name a few months ago for a medicines information website that I intend to develop (inpharmed.com).

In the process of doing this I just started playing about with some names I had in my head, and before I knew it I now have a small portfolio of domains.I am now unsure as to what to do with these other names that I have. :undecided:

I feel that they are fairly solid domain names (brandable). However, I am seeking advice on wether it would be worth developing these domains, parking them or placing them on some kind of sales auction?

As said, I only have the intention of developing the one website in the long term but what would be the best way of making the most of the other domains I have acquired?

Any advice would be much valued.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I bought a domain name a few months ago for a medicines information website that I intend to develop (inpharmed.com).

In the process of doing this I just started playing about with some names I had in my head, and before I knew it I now have a small portfolio of domains.I am now unsure as to what to do with these other names that I have. :undecided:

I feel that they are fairly solid domain names (brandable). However, I am seeking advice on wether it would be worth developing these domains, parking them or placing them on some kind of sales auction?

As said, I only have the intention of developing the one website in the long term but what would be the best way of making the most of the other domains I have acquired?

Any advice would be much valued.

what happened to you, is what has happened to many of us

we buy a name with a dev plan in mind, then buy another name, then buy some more

next thing you know...you got 2000 domain names! :)

here a basic plan:

list all at sedo, then park all the domains...somewhere

this way you start the exposure process and track visitors if any

in the meantime, get to work on deving the best name you got and include adsense.

those domains that don't receive traffic or offers can be dropped at expiration to reduce overhead expenses.

Good Luck!

Dorkside

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd focus on developing. Parking revenue has declined significantly over the last few years.

If you don't have time to develop at the moment, list them for sale on as many places as possible. I'd start with Sedo.com, AfterNic.com, Pool.com, GoDaddy Auctions and GoDaddy Premium Listings. Since you're not developing, park the domain and make sure there's a link to a listing at a marketplace or include an e-mail address you can be contacted at by anyone wanting to purchase the domain.

RBohm

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was torn between parking and developing, and since I don't have time anymore, I just parked them and listed on other sites. Developing would probably have been better in the long range, but I just want out :)

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
All I know is that companies like Google, Microsoft, the big TV networks, and many others, all blow through hundreds of millions of dollars trying to develop sites. So many projects are cancelled and the money lost is astronomical. Then you have companies like Facebook that never even supported itself on its own, and you also have My Space that was bought for 500 million a few years ago......then sold this year for a pittance.

If you think you can compete with WebMd.com or a similar business, then give it a shot. All I know is that the failure rate is 99.9 percent when it comes to development. These people around here think that any name can be developed. Most go bankrupt and disappear.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you are looking to become the next WebMD.com (and invest the same type of capital that it took them) than I concur with Biggedon.. develop, test some basic revenue methods (PPC, CPC as in Adsense, eBay Partner Network, direct relationships on CJ or Linkshare) and see how that goes - with a minimal amount (1-2 hours a week at most)...

If that really doesn't pay back the 1-2 hours of effort per week, then switch it to a fully automated , zero effort model such as parking - or a dev'd site that is autofed... and see, like Biggedon says, if that meets the annual renewal / hosting cost + $0.01 ... if it is $0.01 in the black, keep it on parking (or the autosite)... if not, sell or drop.

My $0.01. YMMV.

Cheers,
Rob

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel that they are fairly solid domain names (brandable).
If the ONE you originally went with is strong enough, then possibly develop a small site and get hooked up with some health and pharma affiliates.

If the others are in the same genre, then point those to the one site to help increase the traffic.

Or just dump em and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom