Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How do I drive traffic to my site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedwell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know this is essentially the answer to life, the universe and everything as far as the good folk around here are concerned but I was hoping to get a few starter tips for my site.

I won't mention the name in case that's seen as advertising but it's a combination of the pixel advertising sites and Google Maps - think zoomable scrolling canvas meets the Million Dollar Homepage. The advantage is advertisers get 256x256 pixels instead of 10x10 - seemed like quite a good selling point.

In any event, I've put quite a bit of work into it and was so focused on the technical details that it didn't cross my mind that traffic might not arrive in the droves I expected. I've tried a couple of things - emailing large advertisers on existing pixel sites and offering them space for instance but I'm still looking for the magic bullet. I did buy a 10x10 pixel spot on the Million Dollar Homepage and have had quite a lot of traffic from it - maybe a couple of hundred visitors a day now I think but I need more to get the thing kick-started.

Anyway - to get to my point - what sort of things so people recommend in cases like this - should I purchase traffic or pay to get listed at various directories etc.

Sorry for the long rambling message - any thoughts or insight appreciated.

Cheers.

-S-

Domain Days 2024

paulc

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you actually getting this many hits from that site. When I have looked on the site, it either takes ages to load, or only loads a third of the page, and there are that many advertisers, you only get noticed if you have a huge amount of pixels...

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suppost 829,600 pixels would load slow on a slow connection, but it loads ok for me.

As for the question, why not write a press release? PRLeap.com URLWire etc.

speedwell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
paulc said:
Are you actually getting this many hits from that site. When I have looked on the site, it either takes ages to load, or only loads a third of the page, and there are that many advertisers, you only get noticed if you have a huge amount of pixels...

I don't get a huge amount - I took another look at the stats and it's maybe 100 visitors a day.

Mr. Deleted said:
As for the question, why not write a press release? PRLeap.com URLWire etc.

That's a good idea and something I've not considered. I understand the MDH guy spent his first $1000 income on a press release - I don't have that much to gamble but if there is a way to get something out that's a bit less exepensive, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the idea.

websiteinvestor

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can submit a press release for free at PRWeb. You can also start a blog and blog about it. Or contact webmasters of similar sites and offer them a cut of the profits. Just a few thoughts...

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read this post on the thread below this one.
Maybe you should PM him.
Mocus said:
I have like all the typos for this site..lol

speedwell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
websiteinvestor said:
You can submit a press release for free at PRWeb. You can also start a blog and blog about it. Or contact webmasters of similar sites and offer them a cut of the profits. Just a few thoughts...

Some nice ideas there - thank you. I was rather hoping the Ajax/DHTML/Javascript element of my site would give it the push it needs but that doesn't seem to be the case - people like simple :)

Cheers.

BobDiGiTaL said:
I read this post on the thread below this one.
Maybe you should PM him.

Interesting - thanks - He says $2 a day which isn't at all bad - do people really enter typos that often? I figured now aways most traffic comes via links and not typed in names.

I guess you've made it when you find typos of your site taken :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom