Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How much are 2 number. ca worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
I was the original registrant of these..

I tried to sell them, but could barely give them away.

finally I sold them all for maybe a few hundred dollars total and at the time it was a good sale.

Here I was selling them at $50 a piece: http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=44865&highlight=94.ca

Funny that everyone is speculating that they are worth more.. granted that was almost 3 years ago.

Personally, I'm worried by all this speculation and illogical increases in prices.

good luck to the bidders

That is normal. If you consider what happened to the 3 chars .com......and what`s happening o the LLLL.com now.
People can`t afford anymore to buy premium .coms so the ccTLDs are worthing more and the trend will continue as the .coms don`t get cheaper.

This shows a lot to someone on this board that says ccTlds don`t worth nothing.

Domain Days 2024

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
That is normal. If you consider what happened to the 3 chars .com......and what`s happening o the LLLL.com now.
People can`t afford anymore to buy premium .coms so the ccTLDs are worthing more and the trend will continue as the .coms don`t get cheaper.

This shows a lot to someone on this board that says ccTlds don`t worth nothing.
exactly :p

The people (I assume, if not, then this is what I believe) you are referring to our people trying to get into the domain biz; not end users. Artificial demand.. which is the problem I am trying to bring to light.

To speculate in something like short domains, you have to think of the following;

Let's use a prime 3 letter.com; WGM.com $10,500 1/10/2006 SnapNames

What are the odds that you sell the domain to an end user;

1%-5%; with 5% being an extremely extremely generous percent

What will you sell it for;

$25,000 max I would think; most big companies that would pay more have already bought their names. MTV.com, BBC.com, etc.

so: Would anyone in their right mind pay $10,500 with a 5% chance of making $15,000 off of their investment?

And to make this little experiment sound, we would need to take out the possibility that one could sell the domain on any domain reseller market, as that itself is fuelled by this artificial demand.

so 95% of losing $10,500 and 5% chance of you making $15,000.

A more realistic market value (but still inflated) for prime 3 letter.com's like WGM.com would be 5k; because you are more likely to find a buyer at 10k; 15k; 20k; and 25k; and then the odd chance of it selling for more than 25k

so let's say 10%-25% chance of selling to an end user for more than 10k; 25% chance of selling for $5k profit; and then whatever the odds are of selling for more.

Realistically the Market Value for a 3 letter.com to be a sound investment would be 3kish give or take (based on assumptions and perceived end user sales).

But we have a limited amount of buyers, and tons of people wanting to get into buying specifically short domains (and traffic domains), as they have a formulaic value (as opposed to a brandable name, whose value depends on the buyer). One buyer says, I want to invest in the market at Current Market Value hoping to sell for a profit. He buys the prime 3 letter.com for 3k; Another buyer comes along, the seller prices it at 4.5k thinking that's enough for him to sell; The cycle continues as there are just so many domain buyers. But what people have to realize is that the end user's are not interested in what you paid for the name. They will buy it if it is worth it to them, if not, they won't. To be honest, the appeal for most company's owning their acronym is probably a lot less than we'd hope for. The buyers that would pay anything for their acronym's cbs, abc, bbc, cnn are non-existant or highly unlikely to knock on your door.

I have owned a ton of 3 letter.com's, 4 letter.com's, a 2 number.org', a few hundred 3 number.org's, a slew of 3 char.com's, and those 2 number.ca's I guess are worth mentioning :) and have only made sales to end users on about 3 4 letter.com's selling them for around $200-$400.

Hopefully this bring's some insight...

Good Luck to all.
- Jordan

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:

The people (I assume, if not, then this is what I believe) you are referring to our people trying to get into the domain biz; not end users. Artificial demand.. which is the problem I am trying to bring to light.

To speculate in something like short domains, you have to think of the following;

$25,000 max I would think; most big companies that would pay more have already bought their names. MTV.com, BBC.com, etc.

so: Would anyone in their right mind pay $10,500 with a 5% chance of making $15,000 off of their investment?

And to make this little experiment sound, we would need to take out the possibility that one could sell the domain on any domain reseller market, as that itself is fuelled by this artificial demand.

A more realistic market value (but still inflated) for prime 3 letter.com's like WGM.com would be 5k; because you are more likely to find a buyer at 10k; 15k; 20k; and 25k; and then the odd chance of it selling for more than 25k

so let's say 10%-25% chance of selling to an end user for more than 10k; 25% chance of selling for $5k profit; and then whatever the odds are of selling for more.

Realistically the Market Value for a 3 letter.com to be a sound investment would be 3kish give or take (based on assumptions and perceived end user sales).

But we have a limited amount of buyers, and tons of people wanting to get into buying specifically short domains (and traffic domains), as they have a formulaic value (as opposed to a brandable name, whose value depends on the buyer). One buyer says, I want to invest in the market at Current Market Value hoping to sell for a profit. He buys the prime 3 letter.com for 3k; Another buyer comes along, the seller prices it at 4.5k thinking that's enough for him to sell; The cycle continues as there are just so many domain buyers. But what people have to realize is that the end user's are not interested in what you paid for the name. They will buy it if it is worth it to them, if not, they won't. To be honest, the appeal for most company's owning their acronym is probably a lot less than we'd hope for. The buyers that would pay anything for their acronym's cbs, abc, bbc, cnn are non-existant or highly unlikely to knock on your door.

I have owned a ton of 3 letter.com's, 4 letter.com's, a 2 number.org', a few hundred 3 number.org's, a slew of 3 char.com's, and those 2 number.ca's I guess are worth mentioning :) and have only made sales to end users on about 3 4 letter.com's selling them for around $200-$400.

Hopefully this bring's some insight...

Good Luck to all.
- Jordan

Jesus....you were the right person at the right time but you did not wait the boom.
Now the question is: when will finish this boom? I think there is still a long way to go. But we`ll see the signs of the end like in the stock market: when even the butcher near your home is talking about investing in domains, then it`s time to sell.
I think we still have several years.
But you made good points......for example I regged 20 LLL.at ( Austria) last may , I did not even have time to list them for sale that a buyer sent me an e-mail regarding one of them. I got about $700 for it.....and that was .at, it was an end user so I have been luck but your math make sense.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:

I have owned a ton of 3 letter.com's, 4 letter.com's, a 2 number.org', a few hundred 3 number.org's, a slew of 3 char.com's, and those 2 number.ca's I guess are worth mentioning :)

Jordan:

I'd never disagree with you regarding the 3 letter.com (or any other extension) I've NEVER held one unless it meant something else IE dui.ca. I've never seen the value beyond some illusionary chance of reselling to an end user. As you point out it's pretty low odds. And I couldn't even imagine investing in an LLLL.com simply because it's only four letters.

Two letter or number domains however I see a high value in simply because of the ease of remembering them. Great for any kind of advertising campaign.

NameTower said:
and have only made sales to end users on about 3 4 letter.com's selling them for around $200-$400Hopefully this bring's some insight...

Good Luck to all.
- Jordan

Yeah we need to teach you how to sell :high5:

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DropWizard.com said:
94.ca caught by pool and we are in that auction. This one is heating up very quickly already. 9 bids and up to $575 on an auction that won't close till monday.

What was the closing price today? Congrats if you got it.

Cheers.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RazorNF said:
What was the closing price today? Congrats if you got it.

Cheers.

Nope. closing was $675 but the reserve was about where I expected it @2k. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much:yield:

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maroulis said:
guys it closed $675.... not $2000 see my post above

Yes I know it closed at $675. But the RESERVE was 2k. That meant if I was going to get it I would have had to bid higher than that. I just felt I could get better bargains for the 2k. The highest I would have bid myself was $750.

Anyway the whois for 61, 71 72 has now updated:rapture:

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DropWizard.com said:
Yes I know it closed at $675. But the RESERVE was 2k. That meant if I was going to get it I would have had to bid higher than that. I just felt I could get better bargains for the 2k. The highest I would have bid myself was $750.

Anyway the whois for 61, 71 72 has now updated:rapture:

first time I hear of reserve in drop...

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maroulis said:
first time I hear of reserve in drop...

If you go check the bids once the auction has closed you'll see the reserve price (bid) is shown and the reserve for the winning bidder was 2k. My gut feeling prior to closing was the bids would go up to 2k. However the only other bidder that stayed in only bid it up to $675.

I think that's clear as mud:peace:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a two number .ca for under 2k is a good deal, if you have that kind of disposable cash. We should all check back at this thread in a year or two and see how these prices look then. The domain market has been pretty good lately but wait til summer is over and people are back home in the fall/winter and see what happens then. Especially after all the current domain/internet news coverage starts sinking in... it could really go bananas as the available quality names are drying up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom