Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

seeking advice How would you sell a Politician's Domain Name?

The author of this thread is seeking advice or feedback from the community.
Status
Not open for further replies.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own a politician's FirstNameLastName in .com.

Currently I have a simple website on it. I don't agree with their political views or what they do. So I have a bunch of links on the domain to opposition organizations and politicians.

This is all legal since I have a disclaimer on the website specifically stating I'm not affiliated with any political organization, individuals, or campaigns.

A couple weeks ago I got an offer via DomainAgents for the domain. Offer is obviously from the politician.

I wasn't going to sell it but was rethinking it recently. 🤔

Some might remember, Rand Paul had to buy his .com for $100,000 a few years ago. I figured if they can pay a similar amount or more, why not sell? 💰

Anyone ever sell a politician their matching .com domain? How do those that regularly sell political domains and politicians domain do this? What was the negation process like?

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right, Rand Paul did have to buy his matching .com for $100,000. However, we're ignoring the larger picture of politics here. The Senator raised nearly $39 million campaigning from 2009 to 2021. Furthermore, we're not even taking his $174k federal wages from 2011 to the sale in 2015 into account either.

I think you can tell where I'm going with this now...

...but if not, you can follow the money.

A politician may only receive a piddly $100,000 in campaign donations for a Congressional run. That's barely enough for a couple of thousand flyers.

If you find a politician with more, that's when you can start asking for more. It never hurts to ask for more, especially if you know they have it.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @amplify.

The way I see it is they need to run again next year. So they are at a huge disadvantage if the political campaign doesn't own the domain. All the competition does own FirstNameLastName in .com.

They used the domain before for campaigning and let it drop.

Looks like they raised between $3 million - $5 million dollars from what I can tell.

I will gladly take all of that. 😄

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All the competition does own FirstNameLastName in .com.
They could always slap a year after it, but I'd think that this is a psychological mind game.

So, they announce running in 2021 with FirstnameLastname2022.com.

They felt they made change and decide to go for 2024. But, they can't really use their old domain... this is where necessity comes into play as they might be there running for multiple seats.
Looks like they raised between $3 million - $5 million dollars from what I can tell.
Just merely comparing the two, Rand Paul and this person's budget, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they couldn't afford it at that price. I don't know the inner workings of why Rand paid that much, but there could be more to the story. It definitely can give you leverage to ask more though, just don't get greed get to the best of you where you get 0 for two election cycles instead of something now. :)

My F+L.com portfolio (~15 names and growing) is structured similarly like this with BINs, BINs dependent on popularity, etc., and what I know they can pay (1 month's wages -- nothing for them).
$500
$750
$1000
$2500
$5000
$7500

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They could always slap a year after it, but I'd think that this is a psychological mind game.

So, they announce running in 2021 with FirstnameLastname2022.com.

That doesn't make any sense but I do see they have some of these still registered.

Just use one domain.

They felt they made change and decide to go for 2024. But, they can't really use their old domain... this is where necessity comes into play as they might be there running for multiple seats.

Exactly.

Just merely comparing the two, Rand Paul and this person's budget, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they couldn't afford it at that price. I don't know the inner workings of why Rand paid that much, but there could be more to the story. It definitely can give you leverage to ask more though, just don't get greed get to the best of you where you get 0 for two election cycles instead of something now. :)

I will use that sale as an example of value. Inflation over the last 6 years. :)

My F+L.com portfolio (~15 names and growing) is structured similarly like this with BINs, BINs dependent on popularity, etc., and what I know they can pay (1 month's wages -- nothing for them).
$500
$750
$1000
$2500
$5000
$7500

Generally I don't find FirstName + LastName in .com worth the investment. When you try explain the value to people with that name they usually don't care. If they did, they likely would have a web presence or website.

People are whack and pretty stupid in my experience as far as internet smarts go.

Some people might have a different experience but generally this is what I have found.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I got an offer via DomainAgents for the domain. Offer is obviously from the politician.
Hi

do you know for sure it is that person or are you just assuming

anybody, including a domainer, can pay to send an offer

still, over the years i;ve been offered my name a few times and declined
to me.... it's no biggie and i;ve been offered biggie/io before too :)

imo...

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quick update.

They refuse to offer more.

I informed the domain broker that I have a catch-all on the domain name though. I see all types of emails coming through. 😄

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone reached out to the politician's rivals to sell them the domain name?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators