Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

If this is true, it's time to boycott Godaddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From this article: http://www.domainnamenews.com/featured/criminal-prosecution-domain-theft-underway/5675

I found this:

According to the Angels, Godaddy stone-walled many efforts to investigate the theft and in a final passing of the buck, the Angels say that Godaddy told them that they should have been better defended against hackers and must bear the risk. It’s clear that the domain name was pushed between 2 accounts. The Angels contend that subpoenaed Godaddy.com records reveal that the registrar knew that Goncalves was implicated in two other domain thefts at least one month prior to the discovery of the P2P.com theft.

If this is TRUE, Bob Parsons needs to be making one hell of an explaination, apology, and guarantee of financial incentive to make sure that Godaddy NEVER knowingly assists in a domain theft in the future.

I would suggest he offer $100,000 compensation + legal fees for any case where Godaddy assist in the theft of a domain by a known thief.

In the case cited, Godaddy should ALSO reimburse the victims for all legal costs, since they could have easily been prevented of Godaddy had simply done it's job.

If Godaddy continues to stonewall domain theft victims, then a boycott and global information campaign is in order.

I don't see where any domain owner would want to use a registrar that ASSISTS in turning over his domains to known thieves. Would you use a bank that gave your money to a known thief and stonewalls your efforts to find out where the money went?

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy has yet to respond to our requests for comment. The civil case that was filed now includes Godaddy.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, quite an interesting read. Most importantly, this may well set the precedent for how domains are viewed - assets.

What gets me, regarding GoDaddy and all the other registrars, drop catchers, and auction services...they not only get hacked and domains get stolen, they also facilitate in the registering, purchase, auctioning, transfer, and sale of TM'd names.

Once a TM holder files suit against these registrars (there are some pending from what I understand) and it actually sticks to the registrar (found guilty and must pay civil penalties and judgments) you will suddenly see all registrars and auction services cleaning up their act. They know the sale and registering is illegal yet as long as the money is good and no one is telling them to stop then they are not going to voluntarily stop.

Domainers always *****, gripe, and moan about how unfair they are treated and portrayed yet it is domainers themselves that are responsible for the image portrayed.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think godaddy is too easy to push between accounts.

Which registrar is most secure?

I think Fabulous's extra security is quite good.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy officials gave this scam artist one thing they needed to complete the "fencing" of the domain on eBay, and that was TIME.

We need to hear from BOB PARSON why he allowed Godaddy to help this thief steal this domain name.

This is not the victim's fault.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The person who stole the domain is responsible 100%, imo.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The person who stole the domain is responsible 100%, imo.

But they could keep the domain long enough to complete a week long auction, then wait for payment unless Godaddy FULLY COOPERATED with the criminal and stonewalled the victim.

And according to this story, that's exactly what they did... KNOWING that the accused person was a known domain thief.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Bob Parson is busy trying on the Cinderella shoes :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom