Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is Google anti-competitive with its Chrome browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodash

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given Google's dominance of search, and its ability to manipulate search results if it wants to, you have to seriously wonder if Google introducing its own browser is anti-competitive. I mean, Google's biggest competition in years to come is the growing number of people keying directly into the browser line. By introducing its own browser, and manipulating the browser line, Google can curtail the growth of key-in traffic.

I think this is a bigger issue than most people see it as. Google should not be allowed to dominate in both the search sphere and the browser sphere. If Google has a dominant position in search, and uses its search influence to gain the dominant browser position, then it will effectively control the Internet. If people think it has too much influence through search, then wait until it controls both search and the web browser.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Given Google's dominance of search, and its ability to manipulate search results if it wants to, you have to seriously wonder if Google introducing its own browser is anti-competitive. I mean, Google's biggest competition in years to come is the growing number of people keying directly into the browser line. By introducing its own browser, and manipulating the browser line, Google can curtail the growth of key-in traffic.

I think this is a bigger issue than most people see it as. Google should not be allowed to dominate in both the search sphere and the browser sphere. If Google has a dominant position in search, and uses its search influence to gain the dominant browser position, then it will effectively control the Internet. If people think it has too much influence through search, then wait until it controls both search and the web browser.

If I type in CNN.com I want to go to CNN.com (just an example). I don't care if someone pays Google a bajillion dollars, if I type in CNN.com and it takes me to MSNBC.com there will be hell to pay (unless CNN goes out or is bought out by MSNBC, but you know what I mean).

IMO Google is the new Microsoft and needs to be watched closely. MS had control over so much for many years but now with as developed as the internet is, Google (IMO) has taken over as the most information-influential company out there. Google is also starting to shape what we see in the internet (despite what we want to see).

We are Google, resistance is futile.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Huh? Ok then .. do your bit and STOP using google .. FOREVER .. Tell your friends .. blog about it ... Call your Mother .. create useless threads about it wherever you go .. Together we CAN make a difference.

Or .. how about those Google share prices?

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO Google is the new Microsoft and needs to be watched closely.
I've been saying this for a while, couldn't agree more. I do believe though, they're a little more gentle.
MS had control over so much for many years but now with as developed as the internet is,
MS doesn't control the internet, but it controls a hefty portion of the PC software industry, which is too much for me. I use Linux for everything I can, and recommend to all others. Just think about it as "the alternative OS"

Yusio

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while, couldn't agree more. I do believe though, they're a little more gentle.
MS doesn't control the internet, but it controls a hefty portion of the PC software industry, which is too much for me. I use Linux for everything I can, and recommend to all others. Just think about it as "the alternative OS"

I think a new player in the OS world needs to come to play... whether it be a newer/better linux or whatever it is...

I know apple is a competitor of MS, but as seen with the ipod.. once they have you they try to drag you all the way in (only able to use their software..itunes, etc etc...)
because as you've seen with AMD and Intel, competition brings newer, better products... If it were not for AMD we'd still be in single procs or just beginning to use dual procs (in my opinion)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom