Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is IDN really so popular here, and why is DNF so S-L-O-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Starting within the past few weeks the DNF server seems V-E-R-Y slow causing me to X out of the site many times, or even double post in error.

This slowness corresponds with the sudden surge in IDN post popularity here. For example, I noticed 10 out of the last 25 new threads were IDN related. That is a high percentage. Is IDN really that popular with the members? (it's not with me).

Back to the slowness issue. Was wondering if it could possibly be due to the fact all these IDN posts often involve displaying the foreign language letters. I am thinking it may take lots of extra bandwidth or memory to post and show all the foreign characters, Asian in particular since they are so complex looking.

One reason I wonder is that when going to Asia based Google listings it appears the page takes longer to load than an English page. Is this slowness due to IDN or could it be something else? In the past the dnf server was always very fast for me. Could it also be the new version of Jelsoft combined with too many hacks running?

Domain Days 2024

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not notice any slowdown

-=DCG=-

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
I do not notice any slowdown -=DCG=-

hmmm. I notice when first running DNF it's performance is a little slow but not too bad vs how it quickly changes performance. The longer I stay and more posts I look at the slower and slower it gets. After looking at lots of posts and doing various things the slowdown gets so great I often end-up x'ing out, or even rebooting my PC since it even seems to also slowdown the next program I run after leaving DNF.

There seems to be a definate relationship with how long I have been on DNF vs the slowness. It's a quite noticable effect and occurs every time. Is it at all possible the many hacks running somehow take up memory on my machine and the memory is not being released and contantly building up as more posts are read?

Just wondering about this as this appears to be the only website which performs like that and my computer is almost new, was costly, and has lots of ram and other fast components.

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no slowdown for me

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've noticed some serious lag on the forums starting today.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There has always been lag on the forum. I don't think it is the site per say, but all the dang YPN and Google ags. You are right there are times it just crawls. :( When it does that I start browsing other forums for several hours.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The IDN characters have absolutely nothing to do with it. It may be to do with the sheer size of DNforum, coupled with the scalability limitations of PHP / MySQL, but IDN characters have no "slow down" effect on the page.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNF is very slow for me. Takes 5-10 seconds to completely load one page here and I'm on cable using a fast machine. Quite frustrating because I browse quickly and don't like to wait around for pages to load. For me, DomainState.com is much MUCH quicker. But DNF is where I spent 98% of my "domain time" so I just wish it was faster.

MarkMan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dnforum is slow for me on Firefox not slow on IE .. so maybe the people who have it slow .. should also mention their browser type.

daddypi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's slow for me as well. High speed cable and a 2.8 GHz machine.

I'm using I.E.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A little slow for me but whats a sec or 2, when I got cable with 6mb per sec speeds. :) Tim

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader said:
Is IDN really that popular with the members? (it's not with me).

Well along with the addition of the new sales forum, there is a subforum dedicated to it also. Several new forums have popped up on the net dedicated soley to IDN. Sales overall have already hit $XX,XXX along with a $10,000 dollar sale on this very forum. Four sales were made within hours of the forsale thread opening. Most all the best keywords have been registered along with some "dogs" a sure sign of popularity. The drops are covered and most are registered the moment they expire by a select group of people. Not to mention the media, and constant news on the domainingblog and dnjournal and our very own DCG is participating now in the hunt.

Um yeah. They are popular.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually DNForum had been okay for me UNTIL after this thread started. Hmm ...

As for the IDN hype, I would strongly recommend doing more research BEFORE throwing your money away.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been slow for a couple of days now.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was on late last night and DNF was running very sluggish, as it is now.

My hunch is that the latency is related to the recent upgrade to 3.54.

And/or perhaps one or more server logs exceeds 2 GB (mostly a problem for servers running older versions of apache / linux installs).

On a related note, the arcade stopped working properly, at least for me, awhile back ... many games don't load anymore.

Ron

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
I was on late last night ...
So you were not watching Oscar? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom