Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is IDN really so popular here, and why is DNF so S-L-O-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldnt get on at all one day last week,no matter what !

Domain Days 2024

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i still dont really undestand idn's, i cant figure out how people would know how to type in those special characters into their browsers. I have no idea how to type them in either

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have noticed slow down recently. As for IDN's, theres a forum dedicated so I'd confer over there.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gdubz said:
i still dont really undestand idn's, i cant figure out how people would know how to type in those special characters into their browsers. I have no idea how to type them in either

Copy/Paste

The same thing that Japanese users have to do right now with english domains.

Those little characters are actually a thing called language. They have them on their keyboard the same as you and I have "ABCDEFG......"

You add those three things in the mix along with overture scores and you will begin to see what a big no-brainer this is. And you will begin to ask yourself why they hadn't done this before, but they haven't and the time is now to get them.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gdubz said:

That has been asked here before in other threads with few satisfactory answers. I just don't get how people type IDN domains.

For example, someone here said he reg'd a number of Thailand language IDN's. How in the world will they get any use when people in Thailand likely do not have a Thai keyboard (I assume), which may also be so for other nations, unless I am missing something or wrong in wondering about it?

Sarcle said:
Copy/Paste

The same thing that Japanese users have to do right now with english domains.

Those little characters are actually a thing called language. They have them on their keyboard the same as you and I have "ABCDEFG......"

You add those three things in the mix along with overture scores and you will begin to see what a big no-brainer this is. And you will begin to ask yourself why they hadn't done this before, but they haven't and the time is now to get them.

Not sure what you mean. Not a no brainer for me. No idea what Copy/Paste would have to do with it.

What little characters? Which nations have them or don't have them, how common are they installed in foreign nations? How do you know if a place like Thailand does it. I must be missing something.

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its hard for me to reg a whole bunch of names, which i don't speak the language for. Im sure there are alot of sites that will translate the names for you, but it seems like you would never really know exactly what you had unless you asked a native speaker of that language.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader said:
Not sure what you mean. No idea what Copy/Paste would have to do with it.

A japanese person has to copy/paste an english domain to get where they are going because currently they can't use their own language, "those funny little characters." because the majority of users in Japan use Internet Explorer and there is no support for them. IE7 changes this.

What little characters? Which nations have them or don't have them, how common are they installed in foreign nations?

Not here to take you to school, try google and wikipedia.
But
Japan,
Germany,
China,
Spanish... Oh just about every language in the world.

How do you know if a place like Thailand does it. I must be missing something.

They do. And you are!

Or this is all just a big consipiracy and the world isn't any bigger than Ohio and everyone speaks english and hundreds of domainers from around the world of different ages got together and is trying to pull a fast one on others, the kicker is we got Microsoft, Firefox, Google, Yahoo, Icann and Verisign to go along with it.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gdubz said:
Its hard for me to reg a whole bunch of names, which i don't speak the language for. Im sure there are alot of sites that will translate the names for you, but it seems like you would never really know exactly what you had unless you asked a native speaker of that language.
Couldn't agree more. You can't really rely on some stupid machine or software to translate. Just go over to the IDN for sale sub-forum, and you will see people trying to sell some nonsense domains, which do not even come close to half the value of their English generic terms. It's the USE of the language that matters.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Couldn't agree more. You can't really rely on some stupid machine or software to translate. Just go over to the IDN for sale sub-forum, and you will see people trying to sell some nonsense domains, which do not even come close to half the value of their English generic terms. It's the USE of the language that matters.

Registering bad names happens in chinese the same as in english. (You just need to go to "any" domains for sale)

They need a good dictionary and the overture tool.

Traditional Chinese tool

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=tw

Sorry simplified is down for some reason maybe nameslave can help with his translation services. :laugh:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just like you do not understand me I fail to understand any of what you said, especially copy/paste :huh:

Also, why is it no one ever addresses the issue of is there or is there not a Thailand (or whatever nation) keyboard used in all these foreign nations? How are the characters typed in? Why is the question so difficult?

Sarcle said:
A japanese person has to copy/paste an english domain to get where they are going because currently they can't use their own language, "those funny little characters." because the majority of users in Japan use Internet Explorer and there is no support for them. IE7 changes this.

Not here to take you to school, try google and wikipedia.
But
Japan,
Germany,
China,
Spanish... Oh just about every language in the world.

They do. And you are!

Or this is all just a big consipiracy and the world isn't any bigger than Ohio and everyone speaks english and hundreds of domainers from around the world of different ages got together and is trying to pull a fast one on others, the kicker is we got Microsoft, Firefox, Google, Yahoo, Icann and Verisign to go along with it.

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
you will see people trying to sell some nonsense domains, which do not even come close to half the value of their English generic terms. It's the USE of the language that matters.

an IDN with ovt, makes alot of sense to me. But you definitely gotta be careful or you could be trying to reg people.com (just an example) in russian and end up with peoples.com or some pleural form, which isnt really a word that someone would use.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gdubz said:
an IDN with ovt, makes alot of sense to me. But you definitely gotta be careful or you could be trying to reg people.com (just an example) in russian and end up with peoples.com or some pleural form, which isnt really a word that someone would use.

люди is people in russian. It has a yandex score of 107,353 an US overture score of 818. It was registered in Feb 26 2001. :approve:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Registering bad names happens in chinese the same as in english. (You just need to go to "any" domains for sale)

They need a good dictionary and the overture tool.

Traditional Chinese tool

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=tw

Sorry simplified is down for some reason maybe nameslave can help with his translation services. :laugh:
LOL! Thanks for that Sarcle.

Seriously, dictionary and Overture are useful but they are not exhaustive. Yes, it's the same for English as well, but since most here *know* the language because of everyday use, we seldom actually use the dictionary and forget that to a non-native speaker, dictionary translation is very often not that helpful esp. in USING the language.

For example, there is currently a one-word Chinese IDN in the sales forum with very high search results; however, that is because that single character makes up part of the word (term) but is not really a word as in the English sense by itself. That means NOONE will search with that single character alone at all.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
LOL! Thanks for that Sarcle.

Sure no problem. Good luck with your translation services that's actually a good field to be in right now. :-O Hope you get some for yourself as well.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like the forum has gotten quicker in the past few hours.

nameslave said:
It's the USE of the language that matters.

Yup.

rdrye

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It absolutely has slowed down.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone who advises others to use an online translator to register domains in languages with which they've no working familiarity with is, IMO, committing *Domaining Malpractice*....%+| ...especially when by their own admission all the popular, simple, good keyword names are long gone in these languages. For instance, a recent post in an IDN-related forum listed recently regged Japanese IDNs by someone familiar with the language: here's the English translation he's provided of some of the names he regged: *butler cafe*; *winter sports place*; *round the world ticket*; *round the world travel*; *touch panel*; *rental studio*; *bone conduction*; *access log*...etc etc. Now if its up to a point already that language-saavy folks are getting names like these, is it really practical for a language-naive person to reg names that would be worth anything using a translator??

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DryHeat said:
Anyone who advises others to use an online translator to register domains in languages with which they've no working familiarity with is, IMO, committing *Domaining Malpractice*....%+| ...especially when by their own admission all the popular, simple, good keyword names are long gone in these languages. For instance, a recent post in an IDN-related forum listed recently regged Japanese IDNs by someone familiar with the language: here's the English translation he's provided of some of the names he regged: *butler cafe*; *winter sports place*; *round the world ticket*; *round the world travel*; *touch panel*; *rental studio*; *bone conduction*; *access log*...etc etc. Now if its up to a point already that language-saavy folks are getting names like these, is it really practical for a language-naive person to reg names that would be worth anything using a translator??

Listen guy, that's not all I said to use now is it? I wish you IDN haters would wake up. I know nothing about Japanese and Chinese yet I have some of the best keywords available. Not bad for a hilljack from Kansas now is it? And yes there are horrible regs, just like horrible registered english words. Listen to what people are telling you before you get on your soapbox and spout garbage.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Listen guy, that's not all I said to use now is it? I wish you IDN haters would wake up. I know nothing about Japanese and Chinese yet I have some of the best keywords available. Not bad for a hilljack from Kansas now is it? And yes there are horrible regs, just like horrible registered english words. Listen to what people are telling you before you get on your soapbox and spout garbage.
You might be good at IDNs but your forum etiquettes surely are nothing to envy about...try keeping control of your emotional incontinence...its just a discussion!!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DryHeat said:
For instance, a recent post in an IDN-related forum listed recently regged Japanese IDNs by someone familiar with the language: here's the English translation he's provided of some of the names he regged: *butler cafe*; *winter sports place*; *round the world ticket*; *round the world travel*; *touch panel*; *rental studio*; *bone conduction*; *access log*...etc etc. Now if its up to a point already that language-saavy folks are getting names like these, is it really practical for a language-naive person to reg names that would be worth anything using a translator??

Intriguingly, those are my domains. And they make sense in the context of Japan even if they look weird when transliterated into English. For example, "butler cafe" is a new type of cafe aimed at women where the waiters are guys dressed impeccably in butler uniforms. A female contrast to the "maid cafes" that have sprung up recently where the clientele (nearly all men) are served by women in skimpy maid costumes.

At the same time, I don't know even 1 word of Russian, and I've managed to reg over 500 Russian domains that seem to have pretty much passed the "scrutiny test" (posted for appraisal and had native speakers look over them without scoffing). That's purely on the back of directories, word lists and dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom