Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is sedo appraisal any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the sedo domain appraisal is any good, either the $29 one or $49 one. Let me know, thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
give me $15 and i'll do much better job

imo...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please do yourself a favor and do not buy that at any level. Post it in this forum in the appropriate place and you will get the what you are after.

MichaelJ137

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo appraisal is another upsell by an already large company to get you to spend money. Don't even bother wasting your time or hard earned money with it. As Onward said, go to the "Domain Appraisal" forum section and post it. You will find people are very helpful on this forum.

PapaStiz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo is full of crooks and their appraisal service is the same.

Stay away from Sedo, esp. the appraisals.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that appraisals are typically bought for domains that are so-so or downright regfee.
People who own quality domains are aware of the fact and usually have a rough idea of what they can be worth :)
No need for feel-good appraisals that are theoretical anyway. 'Could' sell for xxxxx doesn't mean 'will likely find a buyer and sell' for xxxxx...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What would be interesting is if someone came up with an appraisal service similar to how CarMax does things - basically giving an appraisal in writing that is good for 10 days that says they will purchase the domain for that price.

ninjadomain

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That would be nice.
Also Sedo gives you free price suggestions, sometimes pretty close other times way off.

What would be interesting is if someone came up with an appraisal service similar to how CarMax does things - basically giving an appraisal in writing that is good for 10 days that says they will purchase the domain for that price.

donkon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah i have a feeling where my domain is at, i've seen similar ones and poorly written in the same context sell for $xxxxx. I guess i still have to get sedo appraisal to set my price higher than $xxx. Btw appraisals on this forum are rare, i posted mine and i could see about 90% appraisal postings in the appropriate forum never get answered.

Last edited:

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they suck!!!

dnmm

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I approval 4 names at sedo.com, 2 names are standard appraisal, 2 names are premium appraisal, but i feel not very good.

if you want these files, i can PM you.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it seems we all just talkin like real domainers !!

people who are not in the industry and are not much familiar or are not aware of domain auctions,
if they are selling or if gets an offer ,

how will they know if the price is worth selling, or are they justified in their asking price?
either they join a forum like DNF, consult their friends or have a professional approach by using appraisals.

i will not be able to sell my house at a price offered to me or at the price I offer unless I know the estimated value provided by agencies, dealers, brokers.

even domainers do have the nudge to appraise the domains they feel high priced in their eyes.
I will not waste my money on appraisals if i myself do not value that domain unless get an offer continously or some revenue via any channel.

SEDO is just one of the players in appraisers and best part is
the domain i have high value when shows a low appraised value, it sucks me
the domain i do not value when shows a high appraised value, it amazes me

human nature!

panago

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Appraisals are not perfect. They cannot take into account the value that an end user will place on a domain. Each converted lead can be valued differently by the various potential end-users that can make use of a domain. For example, some multinational companies place a greater value on a conversion that would a company with a single location in a remote area would. Take the time to analyze each of your domains and identify the various people who can profit off of them and how much money they could earn off of the domain. The majority of appraisals fail to do this.

Wilhelm

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ordered a premium appraisal at Sedo for one domain not long ago .
I had a private sale and i wanted to know if the sales price was not too low.

My domain consisted of two general words.
I have a list of sales on my computer with one of the two words but especially about the second word i had not much references.
The disappointing of the Sedo appraisal was the small list of comparable sales.
Two sales were from 2006, three sales from 2008, one from 2009 and one from 2010.
The mentioned sales were only from domains sold by Sedo and not from sales from other auction houses.
What i had hoped was that Sedo would give me more recent and relevant sales which were not reported before.

Overall the Sedo appraisel was not meaningless but i had hoped for more.
Probably i will do it next time without the Sedo appraisal and just check my own list of comparable sales.

stingrae

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do your own homework. Just like real estate, the comparables are the best guage of a domains worth at any given time. Use NameBio.com and DnSalesprice.com to view recent domain sales that are similar to yours. They would be your best tool in negotiating for a sale. All of the appraisal services are a waste of time unless you know are a buyer who knows nothing about the value of a domain.

allroundguy

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As with everything that is not regulated, domains have on the aftermarket the value that an idividual thinks it is worth, whatever any third party may pretend.
Any whatever metrics used in any whatever algorithm can be accepted or not accepted. Domains have value, otherwise they wouldn't exist. But how much a domain is worth for somebody is nobody else's business.
As for appraisers whatever: They don't suck, they offer services that some people believe in. I don't, unless a buyer accepts an appraisal that I can live with. I will never pay for somebody telling me what to do with my money.
If You believe in appraisals, it's okay.
I don't.

P.S.: What to think about registrars that sell domains on the aftermarket, while selling appraisals?

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ditto most of the comments above. Low quality domains can be valuated a little more realistically using comps ... since low quality domains are not rare, and provide no distinguishing advantage in the marketplace.

Higher-quality and premium domains can only be properly valuated using a thorough analysis of complex variables. Something an automated appraisal could never give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom