Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

it's just wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainowner

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not think it is right, fair, or moral that registrars and other companies buy domains.... 1000's of domains just for the purpose of placing them for sale or using them as paid search results. At the rate this is going there will be no domains left that make any sense. There should be a law against this. Yes everyone wants to make a buck but to buy every single domain that expires that makes sense leaves the PUBLIC with nothing.
For instance I had two domains registered and they expired. Emails from my registrar ended up at an old email address. I watched those domains for over a month while they where in redemption period waiting to expire. I think Jan 22 was the last time I looked and they were still in redemtion/waiting deletion. On the 23rd they were registed by register to sell company. It is my fault I did not update my address with my old registrar however the new date of registeration for these domains is the 19th of Jan. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Everyone should have an equal chance to register a domain. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. For them to register a domain when it was still in redemption/deleting stage according to the whois means they had another means not available to the PUBLIC.
I am not saying no one should buy domains to make a profit by selling but those companies SHOULD have the same chances of registering as anyone else and they should be restricted to owning the domain for a year max if it does not sell. Auctions.. $10,000 domain that has been for sale for 7 years...come on.
Another ex is a friend who wants to buy a domain as a birthday for her mother after her name. She has been trying for 5 years and even paid the $20 for backorder but somehow a company either has it for sale or pointing to an ad.
The internet and domains where made public for the public. So why do the private and previlaged companies get VIP treatment.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess this will be a very long thread. Anyway, welcome aboard! ;)

opportunitymagic

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well...its the golden rule..he/she who has the gold makes the rules, welcome to DNF

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I don't know if you wasted the membership fee here, but I'm sure your post can bring much controversy.

The big companies are spending much money to catch expired domains, and there isn't any guarantee that they will make a profit, just like your example a domain can sit 7 years without a buyer. So this is much of a gamble. I don't think you should admire or be jealous of them. You can be the VIP too, work hard to research and spend money to compete with them (if you want to).

Care to share the 2 domains that you let expired? In my opinion there are still many good available names. For example you can check www.deleteddomains.com

About your 2nd question, have you heard about the .name extension? You should be able to find something good there.

M

mole

The reason why this is happening is simple, greed. Some people think that by stealing your name when it drops, you will buy it back from them at a big price. It's call domain cyberjacking. Other people think that they should catch all the good dropping names so that they can sell it for a big profit in the near future. It's call domain speculation.

There are plans to introduce a new system which will put an end to all this nonsense. It's called WLS. The best way to get back at all these greedy bastards is to support WLS.

Bring on WLS!

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
The best way to get back at all these greedy bastards is to support WLS.

And by using term - "greedy bastards", you are primarily reffering to thos a**holes @ Buy Domains; correct?

M

mole

elusive_kudo said:
And by using term - "greedy bastards", you are primarily reffering to thos a**holes @ Buy Domains; correct?

one of the greedy bastards, yes.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
one of the greedy bastards, yes.

Some of the deleted names that ended up in their hands, in the month of January (list is incomplete as I was only monitoring names that I was interested in):

extensive.com 01.11.
digcamera.com 01.11.
reelmedia.com 01.16.
moms.net 01.18.
become.com 01.20.
netspace.com 01.20.
webguru.com 01.20.
sodapop.net 01.25.
partymom.com 01.26.
slapshots.com 01.27.
murders.com 01.28
sexymom.com 01.28.
bodystrength.com 01.28.
smartcomputers.com

... and that is just for January 2004!!!!

You know, I can "deal" with Ult Searches' & Elequas' getting good names, because they are very quite and unassuming people who quietly mind their own business (no pun intended) - BUT, it pains me to see the arrogants like BD getting them... because I have experienced very rude, arrogant, downright unprofessional behaviour from their "customer service", a few months ago, when I made a big offer to them for one of their names on sale...

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is first come, first served. It's impossible to register a domain when it is still in the redemption period/pending delete stage. I have never seen an instance where this has happened, so I don't understand what you're talking about.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beside, it makes me wanna puke, when I read in DNJournal, how Mike from BD wonders aloud how come they haven't been bought by Yahoo yet???

""Though many look at BuyDomains.com as the industry's 800-pound gorilla, Mann doesn't think the company is there yet. If we are, then how come Yahoo hasn't bought us? ""

What a pity little crybaby...

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainowner said:
At the rate this is going there will be no domains left that make any sense. There should be a law against this. Yes everyone wants to make a buck but to buy every single domain that expires that makes sense leaves the PUBLIC with nothing.
The PUBLIC can just buy from a reseller. BuyDomains seems to be doing well in the "race". Not all going to PPC engines. Also, why stick with .COM. Lots of other TLD's and ccTLD's out there ripe for the plucking (BIZ, INFO, US...).
domainowner said:
I watched those domains for over a month while they where in redemption period waiting to expire. I think Jan 22 was the last time I looked and they were still in redemtion/waiting deletion. On the 23rd they were registed by register to sell company. It is my fault I did not update my address with my old registrar however the new date of registeration for these domains is the 19th of Jan. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Everyone should have an equal chance to register a domain. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.
That's the way it is now. If everyone remained in the stone ages of drop-catching, like it was 5-6 years ago, you'd be happy. I remember checking a domain name through bleery eyed repetition, and getting it, and recieving phone calls later from others who missed the boat. I also remember losing domains to people who had a few critical facts that I did not. These days, those people have perfected their business to the point where the "competition" is on a much higher level, and the stakes are much more easily understood. It's only natural that there be more seasoned professionals with better resources at "drop-time". Systems like WLS try to take some advantages away from the "pros", but ultimately it is the ways pros "think" that is the "problem"... they will likely find a way to cut you out of the equation no matter what system is in place.
domainowner said:
For them to register a domain when it was still in redemption/deleting stage according to the whois means they had another means not available to the PUBLIC.
What's the domain name? You may be looking at it wrong, or your browser cache may have been in effect. You can calculate the EXACT drop date when a domain name is in RGP or PENDING DELETE. There's NO way to get around having to "catch" the name on the official drop day. You were more than likely looking at something wrong.
domainowner said:
I am not saying no one should buy domains to make a profit by selling but those companies SHOULD have the same chances of registering as anyone else and they should be restricted to owning the domain for a year max if it does not sell. Auctions.. $10,000 domain that has been for sale for 7 years...come on.
The funny thing about some names, they bring in traffic to other less expensive names, and makes the holder's website more popular, thereby serving a purpose. I've never purchased anything from BuyDomains, yet I've heard of them, and visited their site many times. Clients of mine have visited their site, and asked my opinion on them, when trying to find a name on the Internet for their online business. Seems like they know what they're doing if they've acquired so much mindshare with a simple business practice that effortlessly brings customers to them.
domainowner said:
Another ex is a friend who wants to buy a domain as a birthday for her mother after her name. She has been trying for 5 years and even paid the $20 for backorder but somehow a company either has it for sale or pointing to an ad.
If you owned a domain name, and for the entire time you owned it, you never got a chance to put anything up there... should you lose that domain name? If at the last minute, you decided to just sell it to whoever else may have wanted it... is that bad?
domainowner said:
The internet and domains where made public for the public. So why do the private and previlaged companies get VIP treatment.
They don't really. Not as far as I've seen. I hear mostly rumor an superstition. I'd personally like a different system just "because". I'm under no illusions it won't be adapted to. I simply dislike the mechanisms available in the current set-up of domain registration. It rewards those who have far more time to waste. I'd rather know the outcome of all of this "domain-running" from the get-go, and plan accordingly.

~ Nexus

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It rewards those who have far more time to waste.

It does? It rewards those with bigger bank accounts!

domainowner

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys.
Care to share the 2 domains that you let expired?
I did not post them the first time because for some reason someone searches for my domains and emails on the net and posts crap about me in forums I frequent. Only two people I could think of an ex's girlfriend or an ex roommate that owes me $$. ANYWAY....
freeresourcecenter.com
ehostingcenter.com which now is ehostingsource.com not quite update for the new name yet. (subdomains/wildcard)
ToastyX
It is first come, first served. It's impossible to register a domain when it is still in the redemption period/pending delete stage.
I use whois.sc. last time I checked was 3 days after they were registered by both companies. I remember it was 3 because I was PISSED OFF that they got them 3 days before they actually expired.
Nexus
If you owned a domain name, and for the entire time you owned it, you never got a chance to put anything up there... should you lose that domain name? If at the last minute, you decided to just sell it to whoever else may have wanted it... is that bad?
That domain has been owned by 3 different copanies. the domain hadir (I own .net) is a arabic name. The first company that had it was based in india. We emailed them (Actually we both want it but don't tell her that) and they said it means "to come" in Indian. no mystery what they were thinking of doing with that one :smartass:

Domains I own now (I know I am probably no competition, but Hey I was unemployed for over 2 years)
100DOLLARSALE.COM
10DOLLARSALE.COM
1800HOTSALE.COM
ACTORSWEBHOSTING.COM
BARGAINING.BIZ
BIRTHDAYCLUBS.COM
BIZHOSTINGCENTER.COM
CLUBCHEVYS.COM was for a club but they do not care anymore
CYBEREDUCATION.INFO
EHOSTINGSOURCE.COM
FREEOPPORTUNITY.BIZ
GALAXYPRODUCTS.COM
HOMEINCOMECENTER.COMI own the domain and do updates. Person ordered it lost interest
INTERNETHOMEBUSINESS.INFO
ONLINEOPPORTUNITY.BIZ
ONLINEVACATION.INFO
SHNIKES.COM Chris Farley fan
SHNIKE.COM Chris Farley fan
SHNIKEYS.COM Chris Farley fan
THEWHOLESALE.BIZ
WEBWHOLESALE.BIZ
WHOLESALEMAKER.COM

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domainowner said:
100DOLLARSALE.COM
10DOLLARSALE.COM
1800HOTSALE.COM
ACTORSWEBHOSTING.COM
BARGAINING.BIZ
BIRTHDAYCLUBS.COM
BIZHOSTINGCENTER.COM
CLUBCHEVYS.COM was for a club but they do not care anymore
CYBEREDUCATION.INFO
EHOSTINGSOURCE.COM
FREEOPPORTUNITY.BIZ
GALAXYPRODUCTS.COM
HOMEINCOMECENTER.COMI own the domain and do updates. Person ordered it lost interest
INTERNETHOMEBUSINESS.INFO
ONLINEOPPORTUNITY.BIZ
ONLINEVACATION.INFO
SHNIKES.COM Chris Farley fan
SHNIKE.COM Chris Farley fan
SHNIKEYS.COM Chris Farley fan
THEWHOLESALE.BIZ
WEBWHOLESALE.BIZ
WHOLESALEMAKER.COM

I know you did not ask for opinion on your domains, but regardless I feel that they are pretty weak and insignificant. "InternetHomeBusiness.info" is the only one that makes any real sense. And I doubt that you can get a thousand bucks for all those rest put together in a bulk. You should especially stay away from THE (as in "TheWholesale") as those are pretty much worthless to anyone, but the most naive.

I know you are pretty "new" in all this, and a lot of people on this forum are. Just look at their "signature domains" and you will see what I mean. BUT, it does not mean that all is lost. You can still obtaing very meaningful unregistered domains for 7 bucks. All you need is some smarts, and some vision. Luckilly for you, those are the traits that can be "achieved". If you really look into it, and if you really bother to understand the basics, you can still find much better domain opportunities than what you have showed so far.

domainowner

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. However I was not really trying to make any money off of these... Not by sale anyway. Some of them are domains clients of mine ordered and left sitting there. Some are mine but they are mine because at the time I liked them and thought/think I might use them.
What do you think of the ehostingcenter/ freeresourcecenter. they had to be worth something for them to quickly obtain them like that.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
It does? It rewards those with bigger bank accounts!
No, I still think its time. Money pretty much helps any strategy by expanding its resources, but you take two people with adequate funding, and one who's spent much more time doing research... and I'll bet you dollars to donuts the one who spent more time studying the names to chase will do much better and spend LESS than the guy simply trying to put money on everything. The theory of the dumb rich guy who conquers all is a myth. Hate the big players all you want but the time they spent in the right areas is what got them there.

~ Nexus

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
No, I still think its time. Money pretty much helps any strategy by expanding its resources, but you take two people with adequate funding, and one who's spent much more time doing research... and I'll bet you dollars to donuts the one who spent more time studying the names to chase will do much better and spend LESS than the guy simply trying to put money on everything. The theory of the dumb rich guy who conquers all is a myth. Hate the big players all you want but the time they spent in the right areas is what got them there.

~ Nexus

I agree with everything Nexus had said. However, I also believe in power of having a lot of money to play with :)

The ideal combination is: money, to go along with brains :)

brains + money - greed = sky

Most people have only one of those, but the real great ones have both (brains & money). And it is usually because they had brains in the first place, that they had gotten the money later. But, lets not underestimate the "greed"- in other words, those ugly greedy seductive traits found in a basic human nature. In my belief, it is those who are smart, and have money, and are humble and ego-less and posses no greed, are those that achieve the highest success, not only in a domain game, but in most aspects of life.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
No, I still think its time.
Isn't there a saying that "time IS money"? ;) In a capitalistic world, you can always hire people to do the research for you, instead of DIY. Just my 2 ... seconds. :D

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Isn't there a saying that "time IS money"? ;) In a capitalistic world, you can always hire people to do the research for you, instead of DIY. Just my 2 ... seconds. :D
Initially, that was my entire reply. :) TIME = MONEY.

~ Nexus

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's just clarify that famous statement - Time is Money.

"Time is Money" does not mean "Time = Money" as in "Patience = Money", but as in "Hurry Up = Money"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators