Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I've Never Felt Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of my New Year's resolutions was to hit the gym and get rid of that little spare tire on my stomach that was threatening to balloon up at an alarming rate.

Let's just say, "I went. I ran. I conquered."

But perhaps more than that, after a break of several years, I started powerlifting again. Besides losing weight and being in the best shape of my life, I feel great, have increased my strength twofold, and the rigor, discipline, and mental strength required to lift heavy weights has definitely rubbed off on other aspects of my life.

Honestly, I've never felt better and I often wonder why I could never take out the 3-4 hours a week to take care of my body earlier.

As domainers, we tend to spend long hours before computer screens in sedentary (or god forbid, reclining) positions, which is the perfect recipe for a health disaster. So let's discuss fitness, health and how to keep yourself from getting a heart attack at 35 :smilewinkgrin:

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Sashas! Other than regular sports during the week I started to get hooked on walking long distances (preferably in nature). I guess it's one of the signs of aging, yet it feels great. I always hated walking, but when you start to appreciate the small things around while walking, it starts to become interesting.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good advice...and maybe something to tell new members who ask for some tips... thanks for the reminder

I'm going to start working out again myself...next week. :pound:

seriously thanks and congrats to you :yo:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to hear sashas.

I dont powerlift, not my thing(unless you count powerlifting drywall sheets in my wayy over time budget basement makeover) , but I do exersize in several forms. I love biking.

I have a couple of years on you as well as live in high altitude, so I also look at a few other factors you may eventually face.

You gotta know your numbers. Specifically to name a few, cholesterol (hdl,ldl), triglicerides, testosterone, etc. A man your age shouldnt have any issues there yet, but you are near the age of 'enlightenment'. And your numbers will directly impact how you feel emotionally, react to illness, energy available, and how well you process foodstuffs.

I also take daily doses of carefully metered supplements tuned to my age and needs.

All those will greatly improve your health and personal/emotional well being.

After all, I dont think you consume any calories typing a keyboard, and you get no vitamin D from the warm glow of your monitor.

So get out and do something folks! You know, that far off place called,... out...of...doors??!!

edit to add, I have lost about 40lbs since a year ago and I am in better shape than anytime in the last decade.

Last edited:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Sashas! Other than regular sports during the week I started to get hooked on walking long distances (preferably in nature). I guess it's one of the signs of aging, yet it feels great. I always hated walking, but when you start to appreciate the small things around while walking, it starts to become interesting.

I've made it a point to walk as much as I can. It seriously is the best form of exercise you can get. I've stopped using the car to make quick runs to the grocery store. If a place is within a radius of a mile or so, I prefer to walk instead of taking the car.

I want to start biking, but I'm just a little scared of being run down by an idiot driver

av1atic

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here but have been on namepros for a while (same username). I'm a certified personal trainer and have competition experience, so feel free to shoot me any questions on exercise or nutrition in this thread. Great job on getting active in your daily lifestyles!

eksperts

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm like biking. Now when snow is away, I biking every day (except rainy days) and I feel much better.
dadfit()com anyone? ;)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here but have been on namepros for a while (same username). I'm a certified personal trainer and have competition experience, so feel free to shoot me any questions on exercise or nutrition in this thread. Great job on getting active in your daily lifestyles!

What's your opinion on the 'Paleo' diet? Is it sustainable in the long run? I've had some remarkable results with it.

av1atic

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on the 'Paleo' diet? Is it sustainable in the long run? I've had some remarkable results with it.

The type of program you follow, in regards to nutrition, is not a huge factor when it comes to losing/gaining weight; if that's what you are referring to with your results. At the end of the day, the body gains or loses weight depending on how many calories remain after your intake and expenditure levels. For example, if your daily lifestyle and body type requires you to consume 2500 calories to maintain your body weight, eating a 500 calorie deficit (2000 calories total) for a week will result in 1 pound, theoretically speaking. Therefore, choose whatever diet program you find easiest to maintain consistently.

I personally follow a program known as Lean Gains, which isn't really a diet, but more of how and when to consume your calories. It's a form of intermittent fasting. The paleo diet is one I prefer over the others, however, because I consume little to no carbs. You can also look into the ketogenic diet for a similar macronutrient-based program.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good on you sashas! It's always good to get some exercise, not only for the physical improvements, but for your mental state - I find running & walking very theraputic. It clears your mind.

By the way, anyone wanting to try something different in regards to exercise, take a look at these videos from a Personal Trainer I follow on Twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOOlr5VEmJU&feature=youtu.be (bulgarian bag spins) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cjjqEJu9o&feature=youtu.be (a great Kettlebell workout). They're both quick exercises to do, but they work almost every muscle in your body!

kmp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great thread. This is a subject more people need to focus on in their lives. For me, Im a huge advocate of Calisthenic exercises. For years I have tried and used many different types of weight training styles and exercise routines. 17 months ago when my twins were born, I literally had only about an hour to myself a day between work and kids. It was during this time that I started doing sets of push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups in my house over the course of about 60 to 90 min every other day. Im now up to 500 push-ups, 100 pull-ups, and 250 sit-ups. I will honestly say that I feel better and stronger now then I have ever felt when I was weight training. For anyone looking for a quick and easy workout you should def try it.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd dare say the best form of cardio is sex. Break out in a sweat before you unload and you know your making some progression. It's all about muscle control.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm 49 so don't need to worry too much about having a heart attack at 35! Mind you, I've been smoking for nearly 35 years!

I always feel sorry for people who have to go to the gym or jog in the park! I reckon they should just eat less.

That being said, just a couple of hours ago I walked around Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. Mainly because it has rained for two days solid and I felt like a prisoner in the house! Only walking...but saw plenty of red-faced joggers...poor souls!

Good luck to you though, mate!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The type of program you follow, in regards to nutrition, is not a huge factor when it comes to losing/gaining weight; if that's what you are referring to with your results. At the end of the day, the body gains or loses weight depending on how many calories remain after your intake and expenditure levels. For example, if your daily lifestyle and body type requires you to consume 2500 calories to maintain your body weight, eating a 500 calorie deficit (2000 calories total) for a week will result in 1 pound, theoretically speaking. Therefore, choose whatever diet program you find easiest to maintain consistently.

I personally follow a program known as Lean Gains, which isn't really a diet, but more of how and when to consume your calories. It's a form of intermittent fasting. The paleo diet is one I prefer over the others, however, because I consume little to no carbs. You can also look into the ketogenic diet for a similar macronutrient-based program.

I've heard a lot about Lean Gains (at Reddit/r/fitness, where I hang out a lot).

I've come to a point now where weight loss and gain aren't any concerns. I'm at a healthy enough weight and pack a decent amount of muscle and strength. I'm a little divided between going for all out strength, or all out aesthetics. Ideally, I'd want to have both, but I know powerlifters don't look like bodybuilders, and bodybuilders don't lift like powerlifters. Hence the attempt to tweak the diet.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, sashas!!

I started going to the gym myself starting last year and feel GREAT, better than I have in years. In addition, eating much healthier, getting proper sleep, etc.

The only thing I haven't cut is my coffee intake. :(

Oh yeah, and I quit smoking!

The coffee intake is a problem. Any suggestions?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:ranger:

One suggestion,,... dont quit the coffee!! It is the nector of the gods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom