Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Leaving the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What many so often forget to realize is while someone leaves the boat, there are 100 waiting to take their spot.

Their is always a line up at the boat.

-=DCG=-

apostoli

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I initiated 5! Escrow transactions yesterday (and I thought that Monday is a slow day...) and they are all in the xx.xxx range. There are definitely buyers out there and many are outside of this forum, so your selling strategy shouldn't be just listing @ DNF seat and wait... Good luck!

being more of an old skool domainer (sit and wait) could I ask you a question DNP? are these domains you hand regged way back or are you a trader upper type?

thanks

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My only comment is that, while tier 1 (premium) domains remain valuable, it's the lower end ones that will be hit hard. And we all know that most so-called "domainers" out there are holding mostly mediocre names.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got couple of good x,xxx offers via namedrive... bah.

xNinja

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GAMEFINEST

may you show them to me

montel

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point i was trying to make is that the title of this thread - "leaving the boat" is misleading. It should really be "switching boats" because once you leave the domain boat, you are entering another boat! ...and you better hope it isn't one that is sinking (eg. a USD cash account)! In the present environment it is not necessarily easy to find a new boat.

Even if you do nothing and think you are not taking a position, you ARE taking a position!

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even if you do nothing and think you are not taking a position, you ARE taking a position!

Cool - that's gotta be the best twist on "no decision is a decision" I've seen yet. Maybe the only one, too, but the best nonetheless. ;)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are talking depreciating currency in an economy with hyper-inflation and crashing corporate profits, domains seem like a good hedge.

Domains that target non-English audiences are looking to be an even better hedge as there is much more headroom for growth and their fate or should I say earnings are not so closely linked to the floundering US currency.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful with oil futures at these levels people. It's a bubble, as with any bubble it's always hard to call the top, but once it becomes common knowledge (as it is now) the only people left to pile in are the suckers.

Granted this will look like a self pat on the back, but if I don't do it, no one else will...As I said on 7/15, I would still not buy oil at these levels.

Oil topped out short term on 7/11 at $147.90, then did a retest of that high on 7/15 hitting $147.30 the day of my post above. It has fallen every day since my post and closed at a new low today of $120.40 a decline of 18.5% from the highs.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Granted this will look like a self pat on the back, but if I don't do it, no one else will...As I said on 7/15, I would still not buy oil at these levels.

Oil topped out short term on 7/11 at $147.90, then did a retest of that high on 7/15 hitting $147.30 the day of my post above. It has fallen every day since my post and closed at a new low today of $120.40 a decline of 18.5% from the highs.

Well if that proves anything, it proves the Arabs were right and Bush and Paulson were wrong.

It also shows the lie behind American government statistics. If the price is falling this quickly due to reduced demand in the US then it suggests that most statistics that show the economy on an even keel are lies and the true picture is born of the anecdotal information coming out that the economy is going to hell.

The real worry is the banking system. People are waking up to the fact that a quirk in American law means loss making property investors can walk away from their mortguage debts and the banks have no recourse, unlike just about everywhere else where mortguage debts remain with the property investor. This means that people that can afford to pay their mortguages are walking away from their negative equity, simply because it makes no sense to keep paying the banks. This means that the whole financial system is much more fragile than has generally been admitted.

Just about the only reason that Wall Street has not melted down, is that America is in denial. Most Americans still think they are financing the booms around the World. The truth is that China, Japan and the Arabs are already paying for Bush's largess.

The other problem that is obvious is that adjusting Federal debt againt GDP is meaningless, because the nature of GDP has changed so rapidly. The wealth generating base of the US has shrunk so much. It should not be adjusted against the 80% which represents consumers borrrowing and squandering money, but against the core activities that generate wealth. These have nearly totally disappeared.

The bottom line is that if Corporate America survives this mess, much of it is going to foreign owned along with a great deal of primary real estate.

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

But it was a great time to buy DUG
or HOD

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course...the inverse of down is up :)

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
US market will see even more of a fall out soon enough. A few more banks getting ready to pull an IndyMac are on their way. Don't leave over $100,000 in one bank account!

Like many have said, generic domains with traffic will probably do very well. It's everything else that remains questionable. I think the days of new domain speculators (individuals) may be on pause, as people are scared and don't have extra $ to play around and 'learn' from their mistakes. Most people don't know sh-t about domains, which is why I think we aren't seeing many forum sales.

rodash

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to leave the boat when you can renew dot com names at less than 8 bucks per annum while monetising them with a return of 20 to 60 bucks or more per annum? Multiply those figures by two or three thousand names and you have a very nice income. Multiply it by 10,000 names and you have a successful business! Why would you possibly turn your back on that?

If you can't make 20 bucks a year off a half decent two or three word .com name, with minimal effort, then you're not trying.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the days of new domain speculators (individuals) may be on pause, as people are scared and don't have extra $ to play around and 'learn' from their mistakes. Most people don't know sh-t about domains, which is why I think we aren't seeing many forum sales.

Have you noticed all the new members on DNF nowadays? The stock market has been on a downfall, same with the real estate market and other venues. Investors all over are looking for new niches to put their $$$ in and domaining is getting more and more exposure in media, thus attracting more investors. I think we will see a lot of new investors in the domain market in the months and years to come. It also looks like the summer slowdown/global "recession" is about to end and the market is slowly picking up again. :eek:k:

Just my 2 cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators